DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

On 8/4/2021 at 5:22 AM, EVA said:

They’ve said in interviews before that Caster runs all the raps by Tony Khan ahead of time, and that Tony often tells him to push things further. So, yeah, I think they got what they wanted out of it.

Caster probably comes out with tape over his mouth this week and doesn’t rap at all.

Khan said he didn't do that this time. 

This is the tough part of being an edgy product. When you walk on the edge, sometimes you fall over it.

I would say, generally, AEW presenting itself as the edgier more adult product has worked for them more often than not. The Deathmatch thing largely worked in AEW's favor, even the Domino's controversy. At the end of it, Domino's Pizza never said they were pulling ads for AEW. And they've been radio silent since that hit piece by Front Office Sports.

On the other hand, AEW being edgy and more adult is bound to bite them on the ass now and again.

I do think AEW needs to take a firmer, harder stance on their product and how and what they want to present themselves as.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, colonial said:

Stupid question, as I may have missed the explanation earlier ...

Who is the man paired up with Andrade and Chavo? I've seen him at least three times with Andrade and Chavo, but he's never spoken, doesn't exactly do anything and is barely even acknowledged by anyone on screen (Taz did ask who he was on AEW Dark last night, but that went nowhere). Has there been an explanation on-air as to who he is?

Didn't they say a few weeks ago that he was Andrade's "assistant"?

Refresh my tired old mind. I remember reading a recap of a Cody Rhodes media call a few months back where he said that Rampage was going to have a separate and distinct roster from Dynamite. Is that still the plan, was that ever the plan, did I just have an EWR dream where I made that decision?

11 hours ago, colonial said:

Who is the man paired up with Andrade and Chavo? I've seen him at least three times with Andrade and Chavo, but he's never spoken, doesn't exactly do anything and is barely even acknowledged by anyone on screen (Taz did ask who he was on AEW Dark last night, but that went nowhere). Has there been an explanation on-air as to who he is?

Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that that was Aerostar (unmasked) or something? Someone on Discord keeps calling him Mexican Michael Cole, or just Miguel Cole, but I don't see it.

Anyway:

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

When people say they want the Attitude Era back, they mean "I wish I was still 14 years old".

Also, the Attitude Era was shite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

11 hours ago, colonial said:

Who is the man paired up with Andrade and Chavo? 

I have no idea who Latino Clay Burton is but dude was ready to rush the ring with Chavo and Andrade the other night, so I assume he can handle himself.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Trios Title, please and thank you.

FTR / Wardlow vs. Hagar / P&P?   Chuck Taylor / Orange Cassidy / Wheeler YUTA vs. Kingston / Lucha Bros?

Yes, please.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only things I want from the Attitude Era are proper tag-team divisions and blood soaked megafeuds.  

Old white women giving birth to hands after sleeping with large black men, not so much.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You're also threatening violence against your daughter's suitors ?

Any decent father would.  How else will you test this young man's worthiness?

.AAMXj08.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Destination, unknown.  Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby Soho.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

I'm still all in for a trios title. Lucha rules, ten minute time limit, something like that to make it stand out even more in comparison to "normal" tag titles. Just give me some nine minute bangers with all these trios and groups they established by now.

2 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Probable Kurt Angle shows up in Pittsburgh?

Unless I've missed something super-recent, Angle said he turned down an offer from them for a final run, he's too beat up. Nothing we haven't heard a million times from a million workers, so grain of salt as always. That said, PIT would certainly be the place to do it, and I see nothing that would preclude him from being a coach other than $$$

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

I'm still all in for a trios title. Lucha rules, ten minute time limit, something like that to make it stand out even more in comparison to "normal" tag titles. Just give me some nine minute bangers with all these trios and groups they established by now.

AEW has too many redundant belts at this point. They should strip out the titles from other promotions to clean up the presentation.

31 minutes ago, Goodear said:

AEW has too many redundant belts at this point. They should strip out the titles from other promotions to clean up the presentation.

I agree with this. I don't understand why they're doing a title eliminator for the NWA title when it seems like they're struggling to set up competition for Britt. The FTW title continues to be pointless. Everything they're doing with Ricky and Cage and the rest of Team Taz could be done without that "title."

• Like 1

I like Ricky‘s enthusiasm for the belt, but yes it really isn’t needed, and it doesn’t really make sense as a gimmick.

The whole idea of the belt is that it’s the Fuck The “World Title”, and Taz didn’t give a shit about the real championship, and the guy holding it. Now it’s more like the million dollar title.

• Like 3

I was hoping Starks would be the one to turn babyface and turn it into a "legitimate" title of some kind, like a Shane Douglas throwing down the NWA title to create the new ECW title kind of thing.

If we were betting, I'd guess the rumors of using it as a hoss-belt are probably out the window now as well, with the change to Starks. I didn't love the idea to begin with, but I thought it was at least an interesting change of pace to feature heavyweights in their own little box like cruisers traditionally have been.

I'm happy for those of you who are into it, but trios belts are not my thing at all. If a three man unit gets hot, just Freebird the damn thing for a while. 

My one reservation for trios titles is that AEW refs are mostly pretty bad. Aubrey and Remsburg can't ref every match and the moment Rick Knox shows up with more than 2 people in a match, you know it's going to be a shitshow.

Rick Knox is the substitute teacher of referees. Every match has the wrestlers never listening to him, trying to push the boundaries, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Yeah, but if they're going to book dirty finishes (and clearly that's the plan, because they do a lot of them*), you need a ref who is known for being incompetent. Better that than the whole refereeing crew being suspect. Although we do need a "Ric Flair won a title with a top rope move" for Knox at some point. Like, if a ref in a real sport missed that many obvious calls, they'd get fired. Just once, Knox should catch the interference and DQ somebody. Be a nice change of pace.

* Although I do think that the AEW method of only having one dirty finish a night and most matches ending in a clean job is much better than WWE's All Screwjobs All The Time approach. Like, why can't Jinny beat Aoife Valkyrie clean in the middle? The loss doesn't mean anything, so there's no need to protect her.

• Like 1

It's almost like wrestling refs are in some weird Prisoner's Dilemma experiment.

"Okay, if we ALL suck, there's no point in replacing any one of us."

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Knox will always have a place in my heart for the Free Willy tope to the Bucks in that classic three way tag ladder match in PWG. And getting killed by Super Dragon when Dragon came back to join Mt Rushmore. I admit he's had some tough spells but AEW is ECW-light in how they treat their officials. NJPW the same. JR needs to get over this and stop calling undue attention to it. It's not changing so shut the fuck up.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever cared about how a referee officiates a match.

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

JR needs to get over this and stop calling undue attention to it. It's not changing so shut the fuck up.

It also doesn't help when people like FTR are bringing attention to it on social media and whatnot. This kind of tag team wrestling is that indie, PWG style that AEW's division's style is obviously molded after. Expecting any different is just weird to me. Tag ropes? Out after 5 seconds? What is this, 1986?