DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

I don’t know their names off the top of my head but the big dude that looked like a young Vader, and the Scott Norton looking guy with the half checkered tights are two I wish were signed. Also Madi Wrenkowski should be a shoe-in for a contract.

Edit: Speak of the checkered pattern devil, he’s actually on Dark this week.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

AEW have had like 15 things already that gave you an immediate title shot. One more on the pile wouldn’t hurt.

Fifteen?  That seems like an exaggeration for the purposes of making a smaller point. Let’s see how many we can name…

- win a battle royale and earn a title shot 

- win a single elimination tournament for a title shot ala the AEW Women’s World Title Eliminator Tournament 

- win a tag team eliminator match (non-title) against champs and earn an actual title match

-TNT Title matches are nearly always challenges by someone

-Miro, who only answers to God and his hot wife, challenges challengers for shots at his title.  He is a little impatient for a challenge.  

That gives us five match stipulations.  There is also the Top 5 Rankings but that is implied for most title shots.  

Are there any other unique stips I am forgetting?  AEW seems to have focused on only a handful of ways that title shots can be acquired.  That is an admirable attempt to limit cheap booking or thinking things up on the fly.  That’s the way most mainstream North American wrestling promotions did it for close to the last forty years or more.  

Making up rules at the convenience of the booking situation annoyed me as a kid in the 1980s.  AEW using the bare minimum of standards or rules has cut down on embarrassingly inconsistent storytelling that was the norm in WCW…and WWE…and even ECW, who had the goofiest “rules” of any popular promotion.

AEW has a constantly expanding roster and a seemingly younger fan base. Do you think that they could capitalize by adding some weekend programing? Either morning or afternoon? Maybe no swearing, blood or over the top violence. Thats how a lot of us got into wrestling. 

Edited by zendragon

8 minutes ago, zendragon said:

AEW has a constantly expanding roster and a seemingly younger fan base. Do you think that they could capitalize by adding some weekend programing? Either morning or afternoon? Thats how a lot of us got into wrestling. 

They could, for once, benefit from a weekly wrap-up show.  Normally I find wrestling clip shows like WWE does redundant.  AEW probably could use such a program on weekends.  I don’t know how licensing works with YouTube since Dark and Elevation aren’t shown on TV.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Are there any other unique stips I am forgetting?

I feel like they’ve had three battle royales with a shot at a belt. They had the ladder match with the poker chip for a title shot. They also had the ladder match with a Sonic ring for a TNT title shot.

I have to admit, I’m not a fan of them. I can tolerate the battle royales, but the best stuff has always been when they built off the rankings.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Dynamite/Rampage highlights and the top matches from the youtube shows could work.

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

AEW has a constantly expanding roster and a seemingly younger fan base. Do you think that they could capitalize by adding some weekend programing? Either morning or afternoon? Maybe no swearing, blood or over the top violence. Thats how a lot of us got into wrestling. 

Kids just watch YouTube on phones/tablets these days from what I see with my friends' 5-10 year olds. I love the idea, but maybe the modern approach might be a separate, kid-focused YouTube channel or a YT show where it's re-packaged versions of matches from the other shows that are clipped to remove anything too violent or sexy, with re-dubbed commentary

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Edit: another idea for this, if they ever did anything like this it would probably be a great opportunity to leverage the Khans' NFL/EPL relationships
  • Like 3

As much as I would love an AEW style G1 (god I would) I just don't think it could happen properly. 

NJPW  has this tournament go over a month and they have 3-4  2 hr shows a week to run matches. AEW would have to have every match on Dark and Rampage be a part of the tournament and even then would need to have both youtube shows have matches too.  The issue is not everyone watches the You Tube shows and people would lose track/focus easily. 

Depending on Covid I wouldn't be shocked to see a few AEW guys enter the G1 this year. There may be a deal in place already for all we know. 

20 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I don't think kids want a sanitized repackaged version of AEW. There's probably a huge thrill to see some of the shit on Dynamite and PPV for kids. 

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you, I'm talking about something like that short lived Saturday Morning Slam for like suuuuper young kids. Like basically a toy commercial. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

As much as I would love an AEW style G1 (god I would) I just don't think it could happen properly. 

NJPW  has this tournament go over a month and they have 3-4  2 hr shows a week to run matches. AEW would have to have every match on Dark and Rampage be a part of the tournament and even then would need to have both youtube shows have matches too.  The issue is not everyone watches the You Tube shows and people would lose track/focus easily. 

Depending on Covid I wouldn't be shocked to see a few AEW guys enter the G1 this year. There may be a deal in place already for all we know. 

Isn't the G1 usually in August? Should be starting in a few weeks then, surely?

46 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

You know, if they're going to pull more than one labour from memory lane for Jericho (and I'm not convinced they are, it's only 1/3 so far), they've already got a former tag partner of his doing commentary on Elevation...

Great use of him but I question having Show lose in his first match in

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t know if anybody has brought it up, but that coming segment with QT & Schiavone screams for Paul Wight to come in, and chokeslam The Factory for Tony. This can’t be anything else, but that.

Jokes on you, Bryan Danielson is gonna debut and feud with that up and comer QT Marshall.