DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Imagery

15 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

and Hajime No Ippo satisfy that pro wrestling anime niche without really being about pro wrestling.

Takemura helps in that regard. In the manga, he's bragging about the awesome Tenryu vs. Hashimoto fight he saw, drops a DDT on someone, and has a WAR t-shirt.

My favourite Pro-wres reference in a manga is Flame of Recca, once the tournament begins, before the heroes are taking it seriously, one guy has Masa Saito's theme blaring out of a tape deck before his fight.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:37 AM, The Natural said:

E9cQ01rUUAorhVq?format=jpg&name=small

Scarlett Bordeaux, gone missing.

Realized today that Kross is about six inches shorter than I thought he was.  For some reason, I thought he was close to 7' (WWE bills him as 6'4").  So, yeah, he's huge, but not WWE huge.  That's not good.  Vince is going to lose interest in a blade 6'4" guy long before he loses interest in a bland 7' footer.

I;m going to predict that, by January, Kross and Scarlet may have matching his and her "Have you seen me?" milk cartons.  Maybe they can sell them at live events while Kross is chillin' in catering.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jiji said:

Ew. Sickening. 

I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!

On 8/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, D.Z said:

85480691a8c3ae4e1a02b8300e3f665a.jpg

The Main Event.  Fuck I loved that game.  Before he became a wrestler, Axl Rotten worked at the video store I frequented as a kid.  They had this cabinet there and he was really good at it.

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Stephanie should never smile.  Whenever she does, she looks like an alien or a robot trying to approximate human emotion.  Like when Mantis tries to smile in GotG or Arnold's Terminator tries to smile in the latter films.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

So,  I don't want to bring this up,  but is there any reason not to bring Scarlet up with Karrion Kross? Or are they out here trying to break up happy homes again? Honestly, when they first debuted,  I took one look and knew that Scarlet was the key to their entire act. She has insane physical charisma. Sure,  there are a lot of attractive people in television,  but he she has something a little extra that elevates that pairing to something I don't think Kross will ever be able to reach by himself. 

That’s a weird thing WWE does now (has done for a while) that bugs me. Used to, a booker looked a wrestler and tried to accentuate their positives and do things to hide their negatives. At least, that was the idea. Of course it didn’t always happen. Can’t talk? Put them with a manager/mouthpiece. Not that strong in the ring? Keep their matches short or put them in there with someone who can guide them. Now, they seem to take a wrestler and strip everything away that might get them over and see how they do. As an exercise, that’s interesting, but as a provider of entertainment, it’s counterproductive. 

• Like 4