DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

This just popped into my head: Since Arn's kid is Brock Anderson and Rick Steiner's kid is named Bronson and while his wrestling name probably is not going to be Bronson Steiner, if it was, you might get a future wrestling card that said "Brock Anderson vs Bronson Steiner"!

That just sounds so F'n badass, that it couldn't possibly live up to expectations, even when those two would be in their primes, no matter HOW good they end up getting.

Can you think of any other pairings that sound so good that the actual match between them could never live up to the expectations their respective names seem to suggest?

celebrity boxing/ufc:  God Shammgod vs Miroslav Satan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I try not to outright criticize others because they enjoy something I don't. Everyone's entitled to like something different than you. I'm a total metalhead but my girlfriend likes Jack Johnson. Neither of us tries to change the other's tastes. I'll admit the Corbin stuff is entertaining from what I've seen in clips on Youtube and it's always fun to see what R-Truth is up to but frankly there's just no desire there to watch WWE for me. Years of bad booking, horrible mis-use of talented individuals, absolutely atrocious announcing and an over reliance on stars from the past (oh look.... Lesnar's back. again. yay.) just killed any desire I have to tune in to 5 hours a week or programming when I feel like I'm only gonna actually enjoy about 20 minutes worth of that. I'm not saying AEW is perfect either there are DEFINITELY areas of improvement to be had (JR needs to ride off into the sunset, they need to give Jungle Boy and/or Kingston title wins before fans stop caring and we could really use more than 1 women's match a week on Dynamite) but for me personally I find it a lot of fun overall. If you're enjoying WWE, more power to you. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Several of us have flat-out been called stupid sheep for supposedly being pro-WWE. Some folks have been awful in the past and honestly, the rest of you do nothing to call them out for it.

In my defence, I’m still fairly new here. I did lurk for years but, as I was alluding to in my post, I mostly find the stronger ‘fuck WWE’ type posts pretty worthless so I’ve probably glossed over that type of stuff in the past. But,  yeah, we can probably agree that resorting to personal insults based on someone’s apparent preferences in pro wrestling/sports entertainment is fucking stupid.

25 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

If you're enjoying WWE, more power to you. 

The point is to not verbally abuse someone with an opinion different than yours. I don't think AEW is as good as some here do. Some of Dynamite is enjoyable, some isn't.

But you know what I haven't done? Called someone out of their name over it.

(not accusing you of that, just reinforcing my issue)

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The point is to not verbally abuse someone with an opinion different than yours. I don't think AEW is as good as some here do. Some of Dynamite is enjoyable, some isn't.

But you know what I haven't done? Called someone out of their name over it.

(not accusing you of that, just reinforcing my issue)

Seriously,  if someone is name calling over a wrestling opinion...why? Seriously, most of my wrestling watching these days is social. I don't like the current WWE product,  but I have friends who still watch regularly. We have no problem discussing our opinions on wrestling, because we are adults. I could just sit there and call them names, but then I'd just be a party pooper. If I hate something they love, I will go ahead and say that,  but I don't think any less of them because they liked something I didn't. There's no reason that a make believe sporting event should lead to anyone calling someone anything but their make believe internet name. 

With that said,  if anyone happens to root for the Ravens,  Steelers, or Patriots, I fully support any and all name calling at these obviously terrible people. 

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Several of us have flat-out been called stupid sheep for supposedly being pro-WWE. Some folks have been awful in the past and honestly, the rest of you do nothing to call them out for it.

Please put me on ignore. Thank you. 

I still have little desire to see Corbin wrestle, but credit where it's due, he's been one of the few bright spots lately.

It does amuse me that his down-on-his luck look is only marginally worse than his usual look.

I did point him out to my wife (who doesn't watch wrestling).  Basically, I showed her a pic of poor Corbin and said "See, this is why I shave my head twice a week.  Growing a little stubble on the sides doesn't fool anyone into thinking you can grow it back on top."

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Seriously,  if someone is name calling over a wrestling opinion...why? Seriously, most of my wrestling watching these days is social. I don't like the current WWE product,  but I have friends who still watch regularly. We have no problem discussing our opinions on wrestling, because we are adults. I could just sit there and call them names, but then I'd just be a party pooper. If I hate something they love, I will go ahead and say that,  but I don't think any less of them because they liked something I didn't. There's no reason that a make believe sporting event should lead to anyone calling someone anything but their make believe internet name. 

With that said,  if anyone happens to root for the Ravens,  Steelers, or Patriots, I fully support any and all name calling at these obviously terrible people. 

Except that this behaivor is exactly why there's no discussion in the WWE threads.  It's not because there's a lack of interest (even if their ratings are dropping), there's no discussion because most of the people that like WWE have been bullied, name called, and harassed off the board (and I am guilty of this in the past as well).

And most of those people will reply "Good" to that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Except that this behaivor is exactly why there's no discussion in the WWE threads.  It's not because there's a lack of interest (even if their ratings are dropping), there's no discussion because most of the people that like WWE have been bullied, name called, and harassed off the board (and I am guilty of this in the past as well).

That sucks. I don't go into this threads, because I don't watch the shows. It's no reason to treat anyone poorly because they enjoy something as ultimately insignificant as wrestling. I'm of the opinion that it costs nothing to treat people with respect, so there is no reason to do anything else. If you disagree, go ahead and disagree,  but there's no reason to resort to name calling or disrespect. I used to date a girl who always called me a food snob (jokingly), because I wouldn't eat at Applebee's or places like that. Our agreement was always, if I can find something better we'd go there, but if we were hungry and I had no idea what I wanted we'd end up at Fridays or some place like that. I never ran out of ideas,  but if we were to go to Applebee's or Fridays,  I wouldn't insult her because she liked something I didn't. Wrestling is like restaurants, if there's something you like, eat that shit. If someone wants something else, let them enjoy their meal in peace. Either way, the reason we're all here is we prefer to eat with each other than to eat by ourselves,  so engage with some civil dinner conversation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Except that this behavior is exactly why there's no discussion in the WWE threads.  It's not because there's a lack of interest (even if their ratings are dropping), there's no discussion because most of the people that like WWE have been bullied, name called, and harassed off the board (and I am guilty of this in the past as well).

It's assumed we're making up these things or are being overly sensitive. Many of us have been on this board for years, and can give as much as we take in arguments.

But why go into a show discussion thread when the mass majority in the thread aren't actually interested in talking about said show? It was like that for a long time.

And that's not to say anyone should pretend to like something they don't. By all means, say your piece and we can go from there. But don't resort to name-calling when another poster has another viewpoint.

Was everyone like that? No, obviously not. But the group who were ran roughshod to where a number of us threw up our hands and stopped participating.

My personal problem w/ WWE is just that after being burned so many times,  it's hard to trust them.  i still check out the shows even as background noise and they still suck me in at times.  

AEW has never burned me.  They often under promise and over deliver.  The barbed wire match was one thing they had that they did deserve to catch a little flack for and they did but they quickly righted the ship.  Those things have been few and far between.  

The shows aren't perfect, personally i don't see a use for Paul Wight vs. QT Marshall but again there's so much good stuff that the bad isn't the main story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most people who like WWE probably just grew out of it, as it is overtly targeted at children and supreme casuals and has been for a decade (decades?). That said I have a Network subscription and enjoy watching some of the old, old shows from time to time; used that to surf through Summerslam and as event it was admirably cinematic and there were some genuinely huge pops of their own. Reigns looks like a million bucks, Lashley miles better than his mid 00s run, some of the women incredible athletes/entertainers etc. So - it is what it is. More likely than anything they’re readying it to be sold and have been for a while. 
AEW hits a different demographic - fanatics some of whom seem to live it a little too seriously for a scripted live action wrestling show, but bring more passion than their WWE counterparts that’s for sure. Would probably stop short of calling it an “art form” while there’s still dudes running around in gimp masks (presumably not for much longer with the loaded roster now), Jericho in the state he’s in, angles going nowhere to no reception like the Factory/Team Taz ... but they’ve got a groundswell of momentum and presumably even more high profile talent about to hit the decks in Danielson/Cole so there’s no reason why they can’t keep pushing forward to bring their ratings routinely inline with a more ailing WWE, and start putting the cherry on some of their own homegrown stars at the same time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Didn't both Windy City and ECW hype the Battle of Th Bam Bams?

James

I had thought that it well might have happened before since they're around at the same time, but I couldn't remember off the top of my head if it did. Good pull.

I like seeing @Burgundy LaRueposts. They don't always line up with my opinions. But that's good to see. Sometimes a group think thing happens and we're all worse off for it. Plus putting more positivity out into the world is never a bad thing.

I'm one voice in a sea of many. But I want to throw my support to the like what you like movement as well. Just don't expect others to have to like what you like too. That's where the disconnect is (at least from what I'm gleaning). Pro WWE people are allowed to like whatever they like. Anti WWE people are allowed to dislike whatever they dislike. Beating up on a pro WWE opinion is just as bad as beating up on an anti WWE opinion. I'm honestly jealous of the pro WWE fans and wish I still enjoyed most of what's on my screen like they do. But bashing people for their opinions (being anti WWE) is literally the same thing you are rallying against.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. I don't wanna feel like I have to bite my tongue if my opinion isn't over the top sugary sweet praise. So I empathize with how you feel on the other end of the spectrum (feeling the need to bite your tongue for praising the stuff you like). I think we'd all be better off if we just accept that no one here has more power in their opinion than anyone else. They're all equal. And everyone should feel free to post what they want to post and stop complaining about the opinions of their opinions.

My only request is for us all is to move past this meta opinions of opions talking point. I love seeing Burgundy posts. So please keep posting your true opinions. Let's all just agree to stop dissecting our opinions of other poster's opinions and all that. Thank you for coming to me TED talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love wrestling but it is nothing to name call and belittle over. My goal here is to have fun and occasionally participate in good discussions. It is easy to be caught up in ideologies and take things too seriously. But we should check ourselves that we’re not crossing a line. 

I enjoy WWE. There is a magic to it that doesn’t exist elsewhere. It can also hurt me, but as a Minnesota Vikings fan I’m used to it. There is so much content that I can’t keep up. AEW is my favorite thing right now (if they can get Bryan Danielson for sure) but if they add more hours of shows and PPVS I’d struggle.

Ramble. Wrestling is neat. Be nice to each other. Derp. Be my friend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A_K said:

AEW hits a different demographic - fanatics some of whom seem to live it a little too seriously for a scripted live action wrestling show, but bring more passion than their WWE counterparts that’s for sure. Would probably stop short of calling it an “art form” while there’s still dudes running around in gimp masks (presumably not for much longer with the loaded roster now), Jericho in the state he’s in, 

Gimp masks... right.

If we're gauging the state that Jericho is in recently, I mean he doesn't look to be on the verge of spiking folks on their necks so he's got that going for him I guess ? 

And ahead of anyone calling me an aew defender I've barely watched anything wrestling in some time. The day to day posters and lurkers can probably confirm I've barely posted anything outside of the comics and movies forums for some time, and I like the very segments from the 'E that I can catch when I'm not super tied up with work