DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

48 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Pulling a Redford here

Ariel is better than this bullshit. He should have called Khan out on that.

Fuck that whole dumbass company.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Ariel already got banned from covering UFC for trying to be a journalist (instead of a publicist). The last thing he wants to do is annoy the WWE as well.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ariel already got banned from covering UFC for trying to be a journalist (instead of a publicist). The last thing he wants to do is annoy the WWE as well.

The ban was lifted the next day because Dana is an idiot. 

• Like 1

I'm still not 100% convinced that Nick Khan isn't a sleeper agent for Tony. TK loves his Attitude Era tributes, so it would be fitting if his biggest one yet is having someone infiltrate the opposition from within, like Vince did with Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Hulk Hogan. In three years when WWE gets sold to Disney/Fox, Tony is gonna bring Nick out at the beginning of Dynamite and reveal that his evil plan worked. 

Also, aliens killed JFK.

• Like 5

RE: WWE programming 

Honestly, I would be overjoyed if all of a sudden WWE produced compelling TV again. I've watched WWF/E all my life...I don't want to hate 75% of what they produce on the main brands. 

If they did better, I would be thrilled to offer them roses.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The ban was lifted the next day because Dana is an idiot. 

I know which one you guys are talking about, but there have been multiple tiffs between Ariel and UFC throughout the years. Funny thing is I think because Ariel has always found himself pretty high up, he has always survived the persona non grata deal that Josh Gross and Loretta Hunt didn't. 

However, I do think Ariel and some of the other MMA/boxing guys (IIRC Andreas Hale, John Pollock, etc.) are probably in for a rude awakening the more they try to pry into pro wrestling comings and goings. I think there may be some disillusionment there since they grew up on pro wrestling and covering it seems like such a fun endeavor not knowing there is as toxicity there as the MMA world.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sounds clueless.  

Honestly, they'd be better off if they had started this strategy years ago. If you go back to the days when guys were just in it for the money, it's easier to control what makes TV, and you don't get as much pouting. Hiring a bunch of guys in it for the "art" was a huge mistake, so it makes sense to go after non-fans who will do whatever you want as long as the check clears.

I say this as someone with little to no interest in Vince's future "theme park" television shows (with interchangeable "actors" playing everyone's favorite "characters"), and who loves watching guys in it for the "art." But you have to see it from Vince's perspective.

I keep saying in three years time, there will be no wrestling war, because the AEW and WWE products will have nothing in common, to the point that they won't even have a passing interest in each other's talent. And who knows, WWE might actually be more watchable if they fully turn into a televised theme park, instead of being this weird half-Chikara hybrid they are now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I keep saying in three years time, there will be no wrestling war, because the AEW and WWE products will have nothing in common

That's what Vince may want but remember he's tried that before.  He's tried the cartoonish style of wrestling and it's only worked in certain situations like The Undertaker.  Vince has always had to fall back on the old reliable:  wrestling.  Because he knows that if all else fails we will at least tune in for that.   AEW actually has some comedy and some over-the-top characters but it's comedy done well, legitimately funny rather than toilet humor. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's what Vince may want but remember he's tried that before.  He's tried the cartoonish style of wrestling and it's only worked in certain situations like The Undertaker.  Vince has always had to fall back on the old reliable:  wrestling.  Because he knows that if all else fails we will at least tune in for that.   AEW actually has some comedy and some over-the-top characters but it's comedy done well, legitimately funny rather than toilet humor. 

YMMV 

?

• Thanks 2

I said this on another board, but WWE soon enough will just be full of older "legends"/wrestlers that they know will get eyeballs, celebrities and athletes.

I mean is it really hard to imagine a future WWE roster with athletes like Gable Stevenson, celebrities like Logan Paul, Bad Bunny, etc. and then returning older stars like Edge? AEW is already bolstering the profiles (somewhat) of other promotions, so it's not like indie stars won't have places to go (and before the pandemic, the indies were absolutely rockin'). Your future Adam Cole's of the world might want to work in WWE because they grew up watching it, but they don't want people like that, so they have Impact, NWA, ROH, MLW, AEW, etc. to choose from (and can work all of them while being on national TV in AEW, plus the overseas connections).

WWE is going to be a sideshow circus with WrestleMania 40 headlined by Bad Bunny vs The Rock or something at this point.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's interesting that they seem to want to emulate their worst financial period, that of Repo Men and Adams Bomb. But maybe something's changed to make them think it's time has come? It wasn't possible to be an IP farm back then, but if they can now put The Fiend in cartoons, horror movies, NBC specials? They keep saying they want to be like Marvel.

• Like 1

We just got home from the WWE SuperShow in Denver. It was a blast. Show started at 5 and ended at 7:45 which is perfect, especially on a Sunday with three 10 year old boys in tow. And the kids had a great time. They cheered, booed, got Cena hats and shirts, and toy replica WWE championship belts. Oh and lots of popcorn and cotton candy. It was my nephew's second live show, the first being almost six years ago so he barely remembers it. It was the first show for both of the neighbor kids.

The card was Nakamura vs. Crews, Bianca vs. Carmella and Zelina, Sheamus vs Priest, Lashley vs. Woods, Drew vs. Jinder in a Denver Street Fight, RK-Bro vs. AJ and Omos, Charlotte vs. Rhea vs. Nikki, and the main event was Reigns and the Usos vs. The Mysterios and Balor.  Really fun show, and the main was really great, with Dominic doing a face in peril spot that lasted at least ten minutes if not more.  It was wild. The Bloodline just beat the shit out of him for what felt like forever before the hot tag.

Edit: There were quite a few "Fuck Becky" and " Becky Sucks" comments yelled when Bianca addressed the crowd.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 8

Watching ROH and Delirious reminded me of one of the greatest moments ever from mid 2000's ROH: Delirious grabbed the mic and started ranting in Delerium and the entire place just erupted in a standing ovation.

• Like 1