DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, Control said:

Think of whomever you consider the greatest wrestlers of all time. Who got to that level the quickest, in terms of their own time on the job? 

Lawler was on top in the Gulas territory pretty quick, and since he worked such a minimalist style wrestling the same in 77 as he did in 97, we can assume he's just as great in ring through the early 70s based on limited footage.

First name that came to mind was Owen. Prob a lot of 2nd generation guys would makebthe list, if you dont count years as a kud/teen learning before turning pro. 

dwayne? Who knows what earlt terry and dory were like. Hodge? 

21 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Hopefully they tell us the exact date of the impending Saudimania show so that we know exactly when to be offended on the internet

It's always the right time to be offended on the internet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Control said:

Think of whomever you consider the greatest wrestlers of all time. Who got to that level the quickest, in terms of their own time on the job? 

Danielson was really good pretty much from the jump, at least in ring.  It took him a little bit to put the whole package together but he could always wrestle.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

did Luther get any random WCW work back when WCW was employing 300 different wrestlers that they weren't regularly using?

According to cagematch and wikipedia, Luther wrestled twice for ECW (losing to  Mike Awesome on 8/14/98 and losing to Tommy Rogers on 8/15/98, both on house shows) and one match for WCW (as "Mad Jack", losing to Vampiro on WCW Worldwide, 8/26/00). No WWF match listed.

i don't know how to timestamp it, but the match is at about the 1:42:00 mark. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Control said:

Kobashi debuted in 88 and was featured in some highly rated matches within a year or so—though, granted, they’re tag matched with very seasoned, all-time-great wrestlers. By 1991 he’s already clearly a major contributing factor to some rest matches, and by 93 he’s as good as he’ll ever be, I’d say.

That basically all applies to Taue as well.

I guess I’m wondering if most “great” wrestlers are pretty great from the get-go.

Edited by Control

13 hours ago, Control said:

Ronda put all of the pieces together ridiculously quickly. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

Ronda put all of the pieces together ridiculously quickly. 

You consider Ronda Rousey one of the all-time great wrestlers? I’ve never seen her wrestle, but I did not get the impression this was a widely held opinion.

Edited by Control

WWE moved away from cinematic matches,  if there's none at Extreme Rules then yeah, done for good for now.

If Crown Jewel is in Saudia, then that's lots of money for WWE. May even boost the stock upwards.

Roster Draft is soon, so that will shake up stuff and even break some up acts maybe. I think Drew and Bliss should be both moved to Smackdown.

Edited by D.Z

If the question is just Wrestlers who got good quick, Dante Martin. If it's All-Time Great Wrestlers who got good quick, Flying Fuji Yamada was really good in his World of Sport days.

11 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I feel like Brock might be the answer. He went from rookie in OVW to main eventing in a very short space of time.

And unlike Cena or Orton, he didn't really set the world on fire in OVW. Batista was the same but it took  him a bit longer than Brock to really figure things out.

• Like 1

Nick Khan interview

Jon Alba on Twitter descibed what kind of talent WWE will hire if you google him. I think it is to further shut off certain fans from the IWC from watching WWE.  But those fans still got many other promotions to watch like AEW and Impact and more around the world.

Nick Khan said 4 hours of Raw and 8 hours of Smackdown would be good money wise, but creative can only do so much. So he is fine with 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown system.

Does somewhat sound like he does have the power to decide if Raw ever becomes 2 hours again. But I doubt it happens until the next tv renewal.

Edited by D.Z