DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

You've got the iconic "MACHO MAN" shirt. You've got "Austin 3:16." You've got "Wanted Alive or Dead."

The iconic version of the Cactus Jack shirt doesn't say "Wanted Dead or Alive", that's the sanitised version. The proper version just says "Wanted Dead".

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

If only she had missed an Amtrak in Orlando and not a NJ Transit train bound for Port Jervis from Newark.

Newark my ass - that was clearly Hoboken.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Newark my ass - that was clearly Hoboken.

Is it *my* fault Newark and Hoboken look the same?

What is my fault is forgetting the Main and Bergen lines don't go through Newark.

Although that makes it funnier since aside from missing an obivious NJ train and not an Amtrak, Amtrak doesn't even go through Hoboken.

Edited by Raziel

5 hours ago, AxB said:

The iconic version of the Cactus Jack shirt doesn't say "Wanted Dead or Alive", that's the sanitised version. The proper version just says "Wanted Dead".

You are right, of course. I autofilled the "or Alive" even though I have the original version around somewhere.

"Wanted Dead" is better, of course, but both are way, way, way better than "Acknowledge Me," so...

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, AxB said:

For those across the pond, this is the equivalent of WWE going into partnership with the Starkville Stumblebums.

14 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

For those across the pond, this is the equivalent of WWE going into partnership with the Starkville Stumblebums.

Maybe a baseball analogy would be better for Americans?

It's like WWE going into partnership with the Rocket City Trash Pandas of Double-A baseball, which, honestly, they should. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AxB said:

I never knew/noticed that. I guess it's time for me to hand in my Mick Foley fan club badge.

Agree that the Hurt Business was ended way too early. No one in the group was ever that interesting to me, but somehow as a well dressed unit they became the squad. even with this stupid Goldberg match going the way it most likely will, it would have been fun seeing the old man spear Benjamin and Alexander on his way to victory in some contrived match interference spots.

Another cherry on top of the Seth Rollins cake, so to speak, is him trying to be some kind of cult leader type* and he can't even think how to work THAT into a reaction. 

* Admittedly, I don't watch his shit anymore, so is that what he's going for? Or am I just talking out my ass here?

Why is everyone assuming Goldberg is going to win? Isn't he deal structured for two matches per year? So this is his second match of 2021. You guys think they're going to put the world title on Goldberg and let it sit dormant until 2022? He has two matches left on the deal, but none left for this year after the Lashley match. I guess they could have Big E cash in Saturday if Goldberg agreed to that as all part of the one match. But I don't see that as very likely at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Is it *my* fault Newark and Hoboken look the same?

What is my fault is forgetting the Main and Bergen lines don't go through Newark.

Although that makes it funnier since aside from missing an obivious NJ train and not an Amtrak, Amtrak doesn't even go through Hoboken.

Hoboken has the Waterfront and Sinatra park. Newark has Penn Station and NJPAC. Shit aint' hard, homie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Another cherry on top of the Seth Rollins cake, so to speak, is him trying to be some kind of cult leader type* and he can't even think how to work THAT into a reaction. 

* Admittedly, I don't watch his shit anymore, so is that what he's going for? Or am I just talking out my ass here?

Cult leader Seth has been dead for nearly a year. Now he is just the usual arrogant asshole. He does ok with audiences right now though he is still Seth Rollins so expect little in terms of good promos.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nineteen said:

Hoboken has the Waterfront and Sinatra park. Newark has Penn Station and NJPAC. Shit aint' hard, homie.

The train stations look identical on the platforms (mostly due to them being built around the same time).

I've spent enough time in Newark to know the difference between the cities.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Why is everyone assuming Goldberg is going to win? Isn't he deal structured for two matches per year? So this is his second match of 2021. You guys think they're going to put the world title on Goldberg and let it sit dormant until 2022? He has two matches left on the deal, but none left for this year after the Lashley match. I guess they could have Big E cash in Saturday if Goldberg agreed to that as all part of the one match. But I don't see that as very likely at all.

Technically easier that retyping (Goldberg says he has 2 matches left on "this" contract.)

And to clarify one point - even if Summerslam is Goldberg's last match "of the year" per his contract - he will absolutely agree to the Saudi show because of the insane amount of money he gets for doing just that one match (He got $3 million for the fiasco of a match against Taker there)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And to clarify one point - even if Summerslam is Goldberg's last match "of the year" per his contract - he will absolutely agree to the Saudi show because of the insane amount of money he gets for doing just that one match (He got $3 million for the fiasco of a match against Taker there)

Fair play, easy money is easy money. I get the sense even for the crazy Saudi money, grumpy ass old Goldberg wouldn't wanna work an extra shot. He seems like he hates everything to do with wrestling. So the bare minimum to get his contracted number is his jam. I did look it up and since he signed that deal it's been 2 matches a year only, no added extra ones. 2019 was the Saudi Taker match and the singles vs Ziggler. 2020 was beating Bray in Saudi then dropping the belt to Strowman at Mania. 2021 is McIntyre at Rumble, Lashley at Summerslam.

It seems like an awful lot of trouble for virtually zero gain. But I do believe that has replaced "Anything can happen in the WWF" as the company motto now lol.

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

lol

Not really surprising that Roman dislikes Punk though, is it? Considering the way his podcast interview really exposed how forced and inorganic Roman's push had been (which really made Roman a smark Pariah, right in the middle of his babyface ace run).