DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

also maybe they had to toughen up Street a bit to not completely nuke the credibility of any babyface who loses to Street?

One extra Kerry/Flair note from my post a few hours ago: World Class is a crowd shot of a woman yelling in approval as Kerry beats up a bloodied Ric Flair

2 hours ago, AxB said:

He was a real beneficiary of the "All British Wrestlers are shooters" thing that existed in American Wrestling in the mid-late 20th century. In his WoS matches, Street was for more the classic cowardly exotico heel. But once he went to America, there was added a "Brits are Legits" aspect that really deepened the character.

Retired, married an American (not his pretend Sister) and became a Firefighter. Never did a single indie show after WWE.

He wrestled a couple indie dates after WWE let him go, but not many.  Something like a dozen between 2011 and 2018.  Off the time of my head, I remember him wrestling AJ Styles at a PWS show, he wrestled in the HWA Heartland Cup one year, and he appeared in OVW on a Matt Cappotelli benefit show.    He had a match with Matt Hardy when Hardy was between WWE gigs that I intended to try to track down, but never did.  

Otherwise, yeah, he mostly retired & was working in KY as an EMT and firefighter.  A WWE "Where Are They Now" piece said he was completing his Masters.

I liked Burchill in FWA, though, in hindsight, he benefited from being a bigger guy in fed of small people, and the C4 got him over (standing Spanish Fly; at the time, only small guys like the SAT and Paul London were doing standing ssp's/moonsaults/spanish fly, etc.).  When he went to WWE, he was still big, but a lot of guys were bigger, so it wasn't that impressive, and no one in the company put over the C4, so it was just another move and on one paid attention.  IRRC. Vince forbade him from doing the C4 for awhile.

His run in OVW as "The Ripper" Paul Burchill was pretty good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Retired, married an American (not his pretend Sister) and became a Firefighter. Never did a single indie show after WWE.

That isn't *quite* true, he worked a few shows and as recently as 2018. But he decided he had been made a jobber and he didn't think it was really worth going somewhere like Impact. Though let's face it, it has hardly stopped Myers having a run.

tbf https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=888&page=4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

That isn't *quite* true, he worked a few shows and as recently as 2018. But he decided he had been made a jobber and he didn't think it was really worth going somewhere like Impact. Though let's face it, it has hardly stopped Myers having a run.

tbf https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=888&page=4

Seeing David Young’s name on that link and was amazed to see him have matches as recently as 2019.

A real under rated gem of a wrestler. His NWA Wildside stuff was usually very good and he was fun in early TNA (often tagging with Elix Skipper).

I had quite a few Wildside tapes back in the day, Young AJ, Young David Young, Chris Harris, Abyss, Slim J. It was a fun promotion 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Adrian Street. The idea of a Goldust gimmick that works British style sounds amazing but I’ve seen basically nothing 

Have you seen Street v Breaks 2/12/72? Quite possibly my favourite match from England.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
34 minutes ago, J.H. said:

The name that ccomes to my mind is Dory Funk Sr.

Is there any Dory Sr. stuff out there? I'm really intrigued by him

James

Not much, he's near the top of my list of guys I wish we could see more of going by his rep.

Secret fantasy history dream deepdive footage? So many workers, just off the top of my bean:

Wild Red Berry (cruiserweight grappling stuff and managerial work), the Valiant Brothers (original WWWF cool heels), Joe Blanchard (3 hour Texas Death Matches), Killer Karl Krupp, Texas Outlaws (with interviews), Sputnick Monroe, Frankie Cain (Inferno/GMephisto), every single one of Dusty Rhodes' Florida matches, Johnny Valentine, Bobby Shane (note these workers that other vet workers speak so glowingly of), The Original Sheik (in his prime in hometown Detroit), El Santo, Dory Sr., Freddie Blassie (CA, Georgia and Japan stuff), Pampero Firpo...

this is making me wistful, all that potential knowledge unobtainable,

RAF

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
stoopid fat fingers, no poking stick
  • Like 1

By the way, mine is always the Race/Hennig team. We have one crummy match fifteen years too late in Japan. Texas Outlaws are up there too. We have glimpses there and Dusty is an amazing heat seeker. I’d love to have Bockwinkel in Hawaii too.

• Like 2

I saw one of Ric Flair's TV ads and it got me thinking.

Know what I would really really really love to happen if/when Ric signs with AEW? Them recognizing ALL of his reigns. Not just 16. Even just to fuck with WWE canon. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I saw one of Ric Flair's TV ads and it got me thinking.

Know what I would really really really love to happen if/when Ric signs with AEW? Them recognizing ALL of his reigns. Not just 16. Even just to fuck with WWE canon.

"The jet flyin, limousine ridin, kiss stealin, wheelin dealin more than 16 time world champion wooo"

I like it, even if i think flair would just be another body on an overstuffed near-mute manager roster (that is unless he ousts Callis and starts cutting promos for Omega)

2 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Why yes - Enzo Amore is facing Jerry Lawler in a casket match tonight

E8tUNSxXIAQSrPI?format=jpg&name=large

OK maybe this was worth the $50 ticket price after all...

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Tenryu music video

I am glad to be living in a world in which wrestling music videos experience a renaissance. 

Do Instagram videos not show up on this forum? I couldn't get the pasted link to format. 

Here it is on YouTube. Great stuff!

Edit: this guy has plenty of videos on his page. Just watched the Jumbo one and the Great Sasuke one.

Edited by Octopus
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 3:35 PM, AxB said:

He was a real beneficiary of the "All British Wrestlers are shooters" thing that existed in American Wrestling in the mid-late 20th century. In his WoS matches, Street was for more the classic cowardly exotico heel. But once he went to America, there was added a "Brits are Legits" aspect that really deepened the character.

As I read this I thought that one of the best things about NXT has been that they have managed to change how WWE books 1st generation foreign wrestlers. Hunter become more familiar and open to bringing in talent outside the country and signing them based off their reputation forced Vince not to treat them like comedy acts or play off some racial stereotype that he grew up on over 70 years ago. Yes there is still a little of that on the main roster but not as much. Honestly If it wasn't for Hunter, and Regal being his biggest advisor especially early on in NXT there would be no NXT UK.

Look at how they booked Burchill and even Drew McIntyre early in his career. If Drew wasn't so young,  I don't think he would have gotten another chance to get over like he has.

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

Know what I would really really really love to happen if/when Ric Flair signs with AEW? Them recognizing ALL of his reigns. Not just 16. Even just to fuck with WWE canon. 

according to wiki, Ric considers himself a 21-time world champ. while i would prefer he stay far, far away from AEW, i love the idea of him being promoted as a 21 time champ.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, twiztor said:

according to wiki, Ric considers himself a 21-time world champ. while i would prefer he stay far, far away from AEW, i love the idea of him being promoted as a 21 time champ.

I guess for selfish reasons I want to see him posted up with Tully and Arn even though I've heard he and Arn aren't buddies anymore.

I also want to see he and Andrade acknowledge each other on TV. For the most part AEW treats its legends with respect. In WWE its weird because on one had they'd put over a guy from the ATTITUDE era if he/she a part timer then on the over hand Humiliate other Legends, not necessarily to get someone over but out of getting a laugh.

I'm not a fan of one promotion over the other but I love seeing a guy like Mark Henry or Big Show and now Flair guys that I'd consider WWE loyalists all of a sudden are very vocal about their displeasure of how they've been treated in WWE. I guess Big Show probably never had a problem with expressing is issues but he's pretty much said everything people like us have been saying about how misused he was. He's a very well spoken guy and he never got so Show that in WWE, in WWE it probably would've worked against him. Mark Henry was a that pretty much always defended WWE even to the point where he got heat from the younger talent so it's sorta funny how he is actually open about how we didn't like how he's been treated. He's been WWE from the ground up so I think it's cool to see him outside of WWE. It goes to show how different the business would have been it there was legit competition 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Had a dream that Shingo wrestled Omega on a tanker in international waters, with Shingo winning by countout after a Burning Hammer sends Kenny into the water. Book it Gedony!