DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

26 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I’m interested to see who the first AEW contracted talent is the first to go the other way.  Their initial contracts will start to expire and as the main event begins to get top heavy the pastures of WWE might look greener.

MJF?  I can see Vince going after him hard and him seeing a clearer path to success than others might.  I'm not a huge fan of MJF, but I feel like he'd be more likely to succeed in WWE than Darby, Jungle Boy, etc.  Size might be an issue.  MJF is billed at 5'11" so god knows how tall he really is.

Wardlow has the physique but there I'm not sure how big he really is and how he'll compare when he stands next to some of Vince's monsters. 

There are rumors Cody might jump back to WWE, but that only seems feasible if the rumors about him and the other EVPs are true and their relationship gets terrible.

If Jericho can convince Vince to take him back, I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If Pete Dunne wants to stay in America, NXT is the best/ only place for him. On the main roster of WWE his lack of height and recent skinniness are going to condemn him to a comedy jobber role. In AEW, he'd feel like We have Marty Scurll at home. Impact or ROH would be a step down (and not having UK TV deals, would they even think him worth the investment?), and if he was doing US indies, he'd be doing UK indies again too. So he should probably stay put.

You just proved my point.  Think back to the launch of NXT UK and try to remember how Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate felt like the two hottest prospects in years.  Now, how do you think of those two as prospects?  How much of that is Pete Dunne's fault?  He's been given plenty of chances to showcase his talent, and has excelled pretty much 100% of the time, and it has earned him nothing under WWE contract.  He went from a 24 year old who looked like a superstar to a 27 year old who has a questionable future and none of it has to do with the quality of his work.  Every wrestling company on earth should be throwing money at him like James Harden in a strip club.  He's a great worker, has a character that works, and is entering his prime, he's an asset for any wrestling company in existence.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AxB said:

If Pete Dunne wants to stay in America, NXT is the best/ only place for him. On the main roster of WWE his lack of height and recent skinniness are going to condemn him to a comedy jobber role. In AEW, he'd feel like We have Marty Scurll at home. Impact or ROH would be a step down (and not having UK TV deals, would they even think him worth the investment?), and if he was doing US indies, he'd be doing UK indies again too. So he should probably stay put.

I don’t really get the Scurll thing. Other than them both being English and doing the finger snap, they’re pretty distinct characters from each other, and isn’t Dunne generally considered to be a lot better than Scurll (I haven’t seen enough of Scurll to judge).

I can’t see many people making that association. Dunne, despite losing momentum compared to a couple years ago, I think could still feel like a relatively big deal. And isn’t Scurll’s stock pretty much dead at this point after not signing with AEW and then the speaking out stuff. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

isn’t Dunne generally considered to be a lot better than Scurl

It depends who you asked. If you took a poll prior to the hit Scurll's reputation took I think Marty would find himself well ahead, partially because of a subset of passionate fans of his association with his fellow Bullet Clubbers. 

I'm not sure you'd get more than a few people who would say that Scurl was a better worker, but it would at least be fair to say that Scurl was a more creative talent and had a bigger character than Dunne. Then again, Scurl had a ton of freedom that Dunne never had so it wasn't really fair.

And Dunne at least tries to catch people, which Scurl never fucking did.

• Like 2

Having seen a lot of both, Pete has way more potential and ability. Scurll leaned into gimmicky schtick a lot more as time went on. Not in ways that worked either. Also, Okada should have squashed him in hindsight. I have spoken!

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2

Scurll was 50%look 30% gimmick and 20% worker. Most of his gimmick was his look which was often amazing for his entrance to give the devil his due. But for the most part while he had a character he wasn’t that great at character work. He just stood out more when so many guys had gimmick of “I’m a good wrestler who has good matches”. Work wise he was probably the worst of the Elite and likely still is I haven’t seen him work since his last BOSJ.

Dunne is miles ahead of him as both a worker and at character work. Watch the UK title tournament and you’ll fully understand who Pete Dunnes character is something that I could never really do with “the Villain”.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I’m interested to see who the first AEW contracted talent is the first to go the other way.  Their initial contracts will start to expire and as the main event begins to get top heavy the pastures of WWE might look greener.

Not a slight on you, but imagine thinking just because one companies main event scene is filling up that the best idea is to go to a company where they have an even more bloated roster. Insane.

Also I hope Cody leaves AEW for WWE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Every wrestling company on earth should be throwing money at him like James Harden in a strip club.  He's a great worker, has a character that works, and is entering his prime, he's an asset for any wrestling company in existence.

Who is James Harden, and why would people throw money at him in a strip club?

Are male strippers famous in America now?

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

Who is James Harden, and why would people throw money at him in a strip club?

Are male strippers famous in America now?

James Harden is probably the most famous person with the first name James on earth right now...and if you narrow it down to strip clubs, he may be the most famous James of all time.

• Haha 1

Years ago I asked someone who watches a lot of wrestling what people saw in Scurll, and he told me, "He's a great villain."

"Oh yeah, then why does everyone cheer him?" ?

• Like 3

Long before Speaking Out, I never liked Marty Scurll/Will Ospreay and said so on the forum. I still feel that way. I don't think we'll ever see Marty wrestling again. AEW with former Bullet Club members haven't brought him in and look at the rightful kicking NJPW got when he was going there. Good riddance.

Edited by The Natural

18 hours ago, supremebve said:

You just proved my point.  Think back to ___________________ and try to remember how ___________ and ____________ felt like the two hottest prospects in years.  Now, how do you think of those two as prospects?  How much of that is _______________'s fault?  He's been given plenty of chances to showcase his talent, and has excelled pretty much 100% of the time, and it has earned him nothing under WWE contract.  He went from a __________ year old who looked like a superstar to a ____________ year old who has a questionable future and none of it has to do with the quality of his work.  Every wrestling company on earth should be throwing money at him like James Harden in a strip club.  He's a great worker, has a character that works, and is entering his prime, he's an asset for any wrestling company in existence.

WWE Mad Libs, everybody

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

WWE Mad Libs, everybody

add in "breakout performance" and "aborted push", and end it all with "creative has nothing for you" and it describes practically every wrestler on the roster of the last 20 years.

• Like 3

It’s a standard policy, but it’s never been enforced for video capturing on your phone. Camcorders in the 90’s? Yeah ticket people went after them. 

Maybe they don’t want people capturing the audio manipulation? It seems very weird.

This all seems dumb. But I believe Vince believes the “WWE Universe” is part of the roster, so they need to be “Tested”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 8/5/2021 at 11:55 AM, Ultimo Necro said:

One thing I've wondered is who doesn't go back to WWE by choice? For example Brian Cage was in FCW back in 2004 but it wouldn't surprise me if he more satisfied with his LU/Impact/Indy/AEW runs than going back. (I don't know if WWE has ever been interested but I could certainly see it)