DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Resurgence 2021.

The Natural

Copied from f4wonline.com

NJPW Resurgence, Saturday, August 14, 11 p.m. Eastern time on NJPW World & FITE TV --

• NEVER Openweight Championship: Jay White (c) vs. David Finlay
  • IWGP United States Championship: Lance Archer (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
  • Jon Moxley & a mystery partner vs. The Good Brothers
  • Fred Rosser, Rocky Romero & Wheeler Yuta vs. Clark Connors, Ren Narita & TJP
  • Karl Fredericks vs. Alex Coughlin

Liking the title matches with Hiroshi Tanahashi going for the only singles title he's never held. Shame Shooter won't be teaming up with Mox as he's on excursion in the UK.

23 hours ago, Archibald said:

Shooter can't make the show due to new travel restrictions from UK and Kingston is booked for another show in NY same day. So who is the mystery partner?

Considering the relationship they have with Impact now, it may well be Sami Callihan.

17 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Chris Dickinson? That'd be my pick. He's a NJPW Strong guy and he wrestled Moxley at Bloodsport so there is a slight connection. 

They also tagged together on an episode of strong against Nagata and Narita.

Didn't Sami get told that he wasn't coming back to NJPW because he licking guys during spots a few years ago?

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

E8z7pFzWQAATC06?format=jpg&name=large

E80Bg2IVkAopvhs?format=jpg&name=medium

Hiroshi Tanahashi, the new IWGP United States Champion. The Ace has held the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, IWGP Intercontinental Championship, IWGP United States Championship and the NEVER Openweight Championship. A true legend still going strong.

Edited by The Natural

Okay sure, if I wanted to get nit-picky about this show:  the feed wasn't so great, the mics cut out at inopportune times, the crowd noise was a bit muffled while the Japanese commentators were talking...

...then again, why would I want to do that?  This card completely delivered from beginning to end.  Moose vs. Ishii and the main event came through in terms of match quality and memorable moments, and both multi-man tags were an absolute blast to watch.  What struck me the most, however, was the fact that every single match had a story to tell, the weaker matches didn't overstay their welcome, and there's now a ton of new match-ups coming out of this event.  Surprises galore, new cards announced, there were even weird truck revving noises and random fireworks with accompanying music during the Moxley-Good Brothers match which somehow made for glorious chaos.  

So weird to say this, but New Japan inside Japan is still a bit of a mess, but New Japan in the US?  Tonight was certainly a wild ride, and things are apparently about to get even crazier.  

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 2

This was really a fantastic show from top to bottom.

NJPW Strong was already one of the best weekly wrestling-shows, but it looks to be even better in the future.

Never expected Ospreay to show up in the US to be honest. If he shows up in AEW as well, holy shit! Ospreay vs. Moxley at All Out, please!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Whoa wait Lio Rush unretired again? Is he gonna go back to AEW?

No, when he announced his retirement, he already said he would still fulfill his contractual obligations to New Japan once he's healed up and then retire.

Although, with guys like him, you never know. He could decide to unretire on a whim next week.

Edited by The Z

Enjoyed the show all the way through. I haven’t watched Strong or much NJPW at all for ages so even the multi man prelim tags were a breath of fresh air and great action. When did Young Lion Clark Connors transform into off-brand Hangman Page with his flowing golden locks? 
Jay and Ospreay brought it on the mike, Ishii and Moose brought it in the ring. Main event was good and though it’s a shame to see Archer as quite such a short transitional champ, am excited to see the future twists and turns with the Ace.

• Like 1

I didn't catch this last night because I gotta take advantage of these nice summer nights in Wisconsin while I can but I'm watching the replay on NJPW World and it looks like it's just a recording of the stream (the LIVE bug is in the top left corner and there is a control bar that has popped up on the bottom of the screen a few times) and it's just Japanese commentary.

I thought the Strong guys would get a little more of a featured spot instead of being the opening matches but I guess not.

13 hours ago, D.Z said:

Ospreay's own IWGP World hw title.

ospreay-returns-696x392.jpg

Will Ospreay and that belt both suck. Didn't expect Will Ospreay saying he's not going to be in the G1 Climax, will fight in NJPW Strong and defend his belt there.

Hiroshi Tanahashi brings the IWGP United States Championship back to NJPW. The belt doesn't need another title change with two in quick succession (Lance Archer and Tana). There's a possibility of that happening with the Wrestle Grand Slam in the US next month though.

Edited by The Natural

14 hours ago, The Z said:

No, when he announced his retirement, he already said he would still fulfill his contractual obligations to New Japan once he's healed up and then retire.

Although, with guys like him, you never know. He could decide to unretire on a whim next week.

Saw funny joke saying that maybe Lio signed 5 years contract with NJPW so he has lots of dates to fulfil. You can never know with guy like him.

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I thought the Strong guys would get a little more of a featured spot instead of being the opening matches but I guess not.

Looks like Ospreay is going to fight against Clark and Fredricks. Thats probably about as big as you can do with them at the moment.

Production had issues, but I think I probably wasn't the only one who was glad that mic died on Good Brother's promo? It felt they were going to do the usual "we built this" stuff that they now have said on multiple occasions. GoD just shuting them down and Tama later trashtalking into the camera worked way better for me and it looked like the crowd bought it 100%.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think that's actually Moxley, not Lin.

Lin took the photo or at least that's what the watermark in the lower right corner would imply.

Happy for Tanahashi but bummed that Archer no longer has a belt to parade around AEW.

Also happy to see West Coast homie, Adrian Quest, in action again.  The last time I saw him was in CWFH right before Andy Brown moved to Florida and put the nail in the coffin of So-Cal Distancing, one of my favorite indie tag teams.  Hopefully Quest gets a chance to work in Japan or at least gets more bookings after appearing in this event.

NJPW also booked Jordan Clearwater and Danny Limelight on the show and they've also been pretty active in CWFH.  I think that Limelight is still one half of the tag champs with Papo Escobar aka THE BODEGA~! and Clearwater has been in one or two blood feuds.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1