DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Woah...How do you leave Darby off? Dude is maybe their biggest draw.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yep. No Dr. Britt Baker either.

There's a 99% chance they have multiple designs spread out on the subway system. Common marketing tool. Instead of putting 100 of the same design, you make 5 different designs and put 20 each up. You catch more attention that way with different people to look at vs the same design over and over. So the omitted people are probably just on a different design.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There's a 99% chance they have multiple designs spread out on the subway system.

You are correct! Someone either in another thread here or on Reddit posted the other designs (If it was here, I'm sorry I don't remember who posted or I'd credit you)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I actually just noticed they’ve been airing new ads on Dark that look like ads you see in a local market, so they might finally be doing it.

A little off topic but I actually came across an article the other day that noted how ineffective advertising proves to be when it’s looked into, and it kind of blew my mind.

Given your advocacy for an AEW ad campaign, you might find it interesting: https://www.unz.com/isteve/what-if-advertising-on-google-and-facebook-or-tv-doesnt-much-work/

Anyway, I almost didn’t recognize the Young Bucks on that ad. I think they were air brushed in an odd way or something. Weird.

Edited by Bryan

32 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Omega vs Christian is official for the PPV.

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That fucking sucks. 

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I realize context matters but everyone would have been pretty stoked about that in January. Just saying. 

Liked Christian ever since Edge and Christian tag team and the match will be great but it's such a comedown from what we all expected, Adam Page beating Omega for the AEW World Championship. AEW should have stuck to that and while I'm at it, Page/The Dark Order should have beat The Elite to get those title shots.

I had to sit through a pointless Orange Cassidy PPV title match waiting for them to do something with Page. Welcome to my pain!

And since AEW rarely does high-profile rematches so near to one another, I'm curious to see how Christian and Omega build off of the first match in the second as I'm sure both have that sort of thing on their mind.

Yeah, nothing against Christian but nobody buys him beating Omega for the important title. So having Christian beat Omega on Rampage, solving the impact title dilemma (Kenny isn't dropping a fall to Alexander despite how good Josh has gotten) and making Christian kayfabe a legitimate threat makes sense. I get that this is a pivot for two reasons (don't want Hangman's big win getting overshadowed and his wife is due around All Out) but I'm a sad boi still. Could see Bryan making an appearance post match to "make up" for it. Will likely be Christian's best singles match of his career and sets the stage for him turning on Jungle Jack, which should be great. 

The Orange triple threat was a sleeper motyc for aew, so hopefully this over delivers. 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, nothing against Christian but nobody buys him beating Omega for the important title. So having Christian beat Omega on Rampage, solving the impact title dilemma (Kenny isn't dropping a fall to Alexander despite how good Josh has gotten) and making Christian kayfabe a legitimate threat makes sense. I get that this is a pivot for two reasons (don't want Hangman's big win getting overshadowed and his wife is due around All Out) but I'm a sad boi still. Could see Bryan making an appearance post match to "make up" for it. Will likely be Christian's best singles match of his career and sets the stage for him turning on Jungle Jack, which should be great. 

The Orange triple threat was a sleeper motyc for aew, so hopefully this over delivers. 

While number one there would be disappointing, the second reason there is a very acceptable reason to postpone the title match till Full Gear. Of course, I'm very disappointed not to see Hangman win it at All Out live, but cannot argue against taking time off for important life events. Now, to be perfectly honest I'm more excited about the announced Pac-Andrade match-up, but Omega-Christian will likely be very good in the ring. Still, it will again be a semi-main event AEW title match assuming Darby-Punk is the main event.

18 minutes ago, Big Z said:

While number one there would be disappointing, the second reason there is a very acceptable reason to postpone the title match till Full Gear. Of course, I'm very disappointed not to see Hangman win it at All Out live, but cannot argue against taking time off for important life events. Now, to be perfectly honest I'm more excited about the announced Pac-Andrade match-up, but Omega-Christian will likely be very good in the ring. Still, it will again be a semi-main event AEW title match assuming Darby-Punk is the main event.

Feels like AEW has fallen into a pattern of booking their world champion against opponents that don't stand much chance at all of beating them, even on PPV. Other than the actual title changes, Cody vs. Jericho was the one that felt compelling and could've gone either way (I admit I thought they were going to put the title on white hot Cody). Moxley had a pretty long run of defences that were good-to-very good against guys who weren't ready to be world champion (Brodie being the closest, but then it was MJF & Kingston for Moxley and Mox rematch & OC/Pac for Kenny). Omega's had how many credible challengers? Having the Page story so definitively set up though makes pretty much everybody else on the roster seem like red herring/lame duck challengers. Now that they've established quite a few more top names and are bringing in more on top of that, I hope this is something they leave in the past. Once they finally pull the trigger on Page, it frees up their booking so that too should help. Dark Order losing the elimination tag was legitimately shocking though. It made for some unexpected viewing when Page's win seemed inevitable. 

When you've only got four PPVs a year, I'd like to see more credible challenges to the world title. Between Page's child, Bryan, and Punk, I get why the build to All Out has been odd, but ideally you'd have more sustained builds towards big matches rather than the card being put together with a couple weeks to go. 

A lot of bitching about a really great company that is generally booked really, really well. And to be clear, I absolutely prefer this safer, more conservative booking to protect big matches than what WWE does. Even NJPW gives away big matches so much so that they're no longer big matches to the point I've stopped watching. I don't ever want to see Ibushi vs. Naito again or Jay White vs. Tanahashi doing a finisher dance.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Omega v Christian will hopefully deliver and I'd be excited to see Darby v Punk.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

3 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Omega v Christian will hopefully deliver and I'd be excited to see Darby v Punk.

In ring, Christian vs Omega is going to be incredible. And the crowd will be biting on the near falls by the end. 

• Like 1

Still not buying it. They're gonna run Omega vs Christian twice in 2 weeks? If that is actually the title match for All Out, you're giving it away on free TV a couple weeks earlier? So who would people buy the PPV? Yes I know in this scenario there would be Punk's debut as the big draw. But it just still seems like an oddity for how AEW usually operates. Holding out hope maybe they run an injury angle on Rampage. I love Christian. And I'm very excited to see him vs Omega. But the right time for this match was Double or Nothing. Not now. They've waiting too long with too much other stuff going on and this seems like a complete after thought.

-Christian wins the Impact Title on Rampage. The Elite do a major beat down and injure him.
-Andrade wins the AAA Title on Saturday at Triple Mania. Distraught crazy Kenny is unhinged losing two titles.
-Says on Dynamite since Christian is injured he issues an open challenge for anyone at All Out.
-Surprise Challenger at the PPV. Ends up being Hangman and he is crowned the champ when everyone thought it wasn't booked to happen. It was all a dirt sheet swerve to make us realize we were missing out on if it didn't happen.

That's what Im hoping to see.

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Only part of a "dirt sheet swerve" that appeals is getting to see Dave piss away some of his little remaining credibility.

So it wouldn't be totally awful.

Dave’s credibility gets whittled down to nothing, and then he’s replaced with Ryan Satin, noted credible and ethical journalist and totally not on WWE’s payroll or bias or wishes he had Sam Roberts’ gig instead. It’s a win-win folks!

• Sad 1