DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/28/2021 - Fight for the Fallen

Another great episode of Dynamite.

Loved the opening 10-man with the elaborate team intros and sensible booking. One thing you can say for sure about AEW is they protect their champs, and they have a good sense of hierarchy even if it's not accurately reflected in their official rankings. That Dark Order team was really out-classed outside of Hangman, and it would've looked silly for that group to find some way to pin both Bucks and Kenny in one match. I also liked that they didn't even drag out the 3 on 1 portion. Page and Friends looked good fighting valiantly, but the overall match was very much in line with how everyone has been presented over the last year.

The main was good too for what it was. There was some clunkiness early, but Jericho pulled off the desperate old man fighting for his life against a literal psychopath really well. The finishing sequence made Jericho look good without making Gage look bad, which is the key to a great finish. You could apply that to the 10-man as well.

I feel like Jericho/Juvy has a lot more train-wreck potential since death matches are naturally going to have more smoke and mirrors for limited workers. I really hope Jericho goes all in on his 98 CW champ gimmick like he did with the painmaker. I need to hear "Quasi Juice Skelera" and Jericho going down his dot-matrix printout of his 1004 holds for ideas to finish. For the finish itself, I'd be ok with the missile dropkick making a comeback, or for him to just crotch Juvy on the top then slowly climb up and hit a very awkward off-balance Judas Effect. Don't know if he could safely pull off the top-rope gutbuster as a tribute to Malenko, but that would be cool too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

My take re:Gage is if you didn't watch or attend scuzzy post-ECW Mid Atlantic indies then what the fuck do you even like about wrestling

I mean if people dislike that style fine, but what bothers me is they advertised Nick Gage the week before on Dynamite with him holding a pizza cutter. The match STARTS with him using the pizza cutter. People had two “maybe this isn’t for you” moments to latch onto… and decided to watch it anywhere just to complain about it. Just don’t watch the match if it’s that offensive to you. Watching it knowing you’ll hate it is the smuggest, most pathetic entitlement I’ve seen in ages.

And it’ll be an excellent part of the MJF vs Jericho promo package.

Incidentally, I loved it. Right down to Gage losing to the Judas Effect, which is perfect; really puts over it as a super finisher, as Gage can take a glass table bump, light tubes etc, but Jericho’s finishing move is so damn effective it’s a match ended against anyone. Brilliant storytelling.

Also, man oh man is the “lol Hangman is done” rhetoric the worst. Not that they are definitely doing the match, but AEW has so many ways they can still do it. Gauntlet match, battle royal, Hangman putting his career on the line. But ”smart” fans are angry they’re being worked, the fucking losers. The entire point of this shit IS to make the audience feel emotions. You’re meant to be annoyed that Hangman lost. Jesus Christ…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

If Pizza Cutters were sharp, the bottoms of  Pizza Boxes would get sliced through and the pizza slices would fall out.

Jericho bladed his arm after the first swipe.

• Like 1

I mean, clearly the gimmick is that he’s filing the edge of the pizza cutter so that it IS sharp enough to cut someone, like you’d make a shiv out of something innocuous in prison, right?  Like people like Abdullah and Homicide would do with a fork.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

If Pizza Cutters were sharp, the bottoms of  Pizza Boxes would get sliced through and the pizza slices would fall out.

Jericho bladed his arm after the first swipe.

Yes, and Kenny bladed at Slammiversary before Sami "used" the pizza cutter on him. 

Pizza Cutter is no Cheese Grater, folks.

9 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

I mean if people dislike that style fine, but what bothers me is they advertised Nick Gage the week before on Dynamite with him holding a pizza cutter. The match STARTS with him using the pizza cutter. People had two “maybe this isn’t for you” moments to latch onto… and decided to watch it anywhere just to complain about it.

Who are you talking about? I haven't encountered one person who fits this description.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:33 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Completely see your point, but at the same time, I kind of respect Dave's willingness to admit it wasn't his thing but the crowd loved it. But yeah, I don't know what the right answer is either, truthfully. "I gave it 1, the crowd acted like it was 5+... let's settle at 4." I guess the comparison would be something like Rock/Hogan at Mania that year: not necessarily a technical classic, but they were spoon feeding it to that whole arena so brilliantly you kinda have to acknowledge it?

It's really Dave not being strong enough to stand up against his own audience and their desires. Which happens when you as a content creator let the people who pay your bills dictate your actions. If he's hiding behind "the audience loved it" defense, he needs to reevaluate pretty a million matches where the live crowd loved something and he thought it stank. It's not that THE audience loved it, it was because THAT audience (that has lots of crossover with Dave's audience) loved it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

I mean if people dislike that style fine, but what bothers me is they advertised Nick Gage the week before on Dynamite with him holding a pizza cutter. The match STARTS with him using the pizza cutter. People had two “maybe this isn’t for you” moments to latch onto… and decided to watch it anywhere just to complain about it. Just don’t watch the match if it’s that offensive to you. Watching it knowing you’ll hate it is the smuggest, most pathetic entitlement I’ve seen in ages.

I don't know how you can be so stunning yet so brave. Who are you even talking about with the Jericho-Gage thing? I went back like 8 pages and didn't find one negative mention other than people talking about sponsors not liking it. It sucked by the way. 

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

It's really Dave not being strong enough to stand up against his own audience and their desires. Which happens when you as a content creator let the people who pay your bills dictate your actions. If he's hiding behind "the audience loved it" defense, he needs to reevaluate pretty a million matches where the live crowd loved something and he thought it stank. It's not that THE audience loved it, it was because THAT audience (that has lots of crossover with Dave's audience) loved it.

That's a good point, admittedly I didn't really make the distinction