DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/28/2021 - Fight for the Fallen

2 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Amazingly there was a short time where Brian Cage was the smallest guy in a team. He blew up fast after this.

Holy crap! This may top the original PAC transformation from 2007 to 2017, or Dynamite Kid 1976 to 1986! This only happened even faster, right? When was this, exactly?

31 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Holy crap! This may top the original PAC transformation from 2007 to 2017, or Dynamite Kid 1976 to 1986! This only happened even faster, right? When was this, exactly?

29 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The Fightin' Taylor Boys were a unit from 2010-2012 in PWG. Their match on Steen Wolf was so great. 

To be fair, there was a brief period in PWG where Cage worked a few shows coming off an injury or something where he couldn't abuse copious amounts of PEDs work out and he was small.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Technico Support said:

To be fair, there was a brief period in PWG where Cage worked a few shows coming off an injury or something where he couldn't abuse copious amounts of PEDs work out and he was small.

This is a valuable and very important piece of information, but also, I'm pretty sure this topic is about at what point the other partner started using EVEN MORE gear than their team mate used to do! But still, I appreciate the input.

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That would be a cool side topic. Are there other teams that shifted in size and shape to the opposite of what they were before? Dynamite was at one point pretty much the bigger, more jacked guy in Bulldogs (not by much, tho), but that didn't last very long at all.

I had a tape that was of the initial Toryumon roster, but while they were still in Mexico, before Ultimo Dragon launched the promotion. The Crazy Max guys were already a heel stable, and CIMA was already CIMA, but the future Sumo Fuji was working a psycho brawler style, whilst the guy who's name I've forgotten, the eventual brawler, was instead basing his style around big man power spots. 

By the time they crossed the Pacific, they'd traded roles.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've seen Gage have non-deathmatch matches and he didn't look lost of like he needed to be lead through them.

I watched some of a podcast with Gage that happened after Dark Side and he was as much of a tape trader as any of us, so he's a student of the game. Not like that makes one a good wrestler but hey. 

Coincidentally that was the first full Gage match I've seen! You'd think with my tastes I'd seen more than clips but no.

• Like 3

If punk comes in and now wrestles like post k1 win tadao Yasuda "I'm a shooter now" I might laugh so hard I piss my pants.  KHANISM~!

Also this:

Fwiw I'm interested to ride out the page storyline as he's a guy they have gotten me to care about because I did not give a shit about him in ROH or up until they did the drinking gimmick.  I have faith they can have him fail time and time again as long as the pay off at some point is a win.  AJPW had that type of big win over guys value, GAEA had it, wwe more or less kills you and keeps killing you.  I think the end game is hangman overcomes eventually. 

• Haha 4

Honestly, I just want to see him do that springboard clothesline that he knows is shitty and hear him yell "I'M FLYING!" while doing it again.

I thought more about what move will Jericho do off the top and he could always hit a bombs away elbow from the top, but I really, really worry he's going to go for a shooting star press. I think Jericho may really be feeling himself here and feel like this may be it for him so if he doesn't nail the SSP now, then he's never going to. A moonsault should be safe too. Hell, he busted out the mist. Might as well go full Mutoh.

Oh shit. With Jericho's age, he should be looking back to when Mutoh revitalized his career after his knees were destroyed however many years ago now (I can't believe Mutoh is still working today). 

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Lance Storm was theorizing last week that they'd put off the Hangman/Omega switch for a bit longer in order to get a money title match from Omega/Punk, Omega/Danielson, or both.  His idea was for Hangman to be eliminated early via heel chicanery, then have his friends fight valiantly for him, only to lose.  I like that booking, too, but it would have killed the crowd worse if not handled perfectly.

This is the exact booking I was hoping for. I was hoping to have Silver or 10 be the overall winner after Hangman gets eliminated. That would have elevated The Dark Order as a more threatening unit + solidified how strong the love is The Daro Order has for Hangman.

Listen I get what everyone is saying. But you're asking people that have already plopped down like at least $200 for even just the cheap seats (including fees) to dig deep and find another $50-$75 or whatever. On almost no notice. That's asking a lot. Especially for a one hour show. A one hour show that most of you are saying just has a Punk appearance and not even an actual Punk match. In a building 2x bigger than they have ever run. With only 19 days until the event when tickets go on sale. This isn't selling out All Out with two months of on sale. This is a building that holds more than even the NYC show they've sold 18,000 to... in a market they have already stretched thin with the All Out weekend of events. In 19 days. For one hour. Based on nothing advertised.

I want them to succeed. And I think they get pretty close to a full house. But I do think they'll need to pivot and be more explicit about Punk being there to be able accomplish it.

Also comparing this to AJ in The Rumble doesn't work. They didn't have like Rollins on TV saying oh man this Rumble is gonna be Phenomenal. The AJ thing was a total surprise without any hints. They also didn't have three more events booked in Orlando in a two week span lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Listen I get what everyone is saying. But you're asking people that have already plopped down like at least $200 for even just the cheap seats (including fees) to dig deep and find another $50-$75 or whatever. On almost no notice. That's asking a lot. Especially for a one hour show. A one hour show that most of you are saying just has a Punk appearance and not even an actual Punk match. In a building 2x bigger than they have ever run. With only 19 days until the event when tickets go on sale. This isn't selling out All Out with two months of on sale. This is a building that holds more than even the NYC show they've sold 18,000 to... in a market they have already stretched thin with the All Out weekend of events. In 19 days. For one hour. Based on nothing advertised.

We also had Jim Ross suggesting people would be flying to Chicago this show. Entirely possible JR was just speaking loosely and stirring hype. But the only way I see a bunch of people are flying to that is if you've advertised in advance that Punk is wrestling. 

Not saying one way or another what I think will or should happen, but I'm open to your line of thinking and excited by the idea that Punk could be wrestling on television in a little over three weeks. 

I'm sure there'll be some Dark stuff or dark stuff there for the live audience though. The actual live show will almost certainly be longer than just the hour TV taping, with whatever it is that's packing them in taking place during that hour. 

• Like 1

For a brief moment I wondered why all of the shows took a dip this week. Forgot about the Olympics. I guess I forgot about the Olympics because it seems like such a pain to watch anything on it or know when anything will be airing.

Re: Page. I so want to them to announce the main event of All Out being the dream match between  Kenny Omega  vs Bryan Danielson, then a couple of weeks before the match, have TK awkwardly insert Page into the match as a 3-way. Then have heel Danielson bitch endlessly about it.

• Haha 2

Great rating for them again. If they're consistently over 1/1.1 million right now that's good.

My question is this. How much would DB and Punk add to that? You gotta think if AEW get's them both, they could be beating RAW by early October in the ratings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mystman said:

Re: Page. I so want to them to announce the main event of All Out being the dream match between  Kenny Omega  vs Bryan Danielson, then a couple of weeks before the match, have TK awkwardly insert Page into the match as a 3-way. Then have heel Danielson bitch endlessly about it.

The bigger irony would be stopping the greenlight push of your most over babyface because you're bringing in two guys that WWE should have given the greenlight push to but never really wanted to.

• Sad 1

Probably. I want to see them do the Davey Richards Superplex Spot though ?

Really, the question is how many spots will they burn through with Jericho crashing and burning. This could be a tough match on the old boy.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 3