DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/28/2021 - Fight for the Fallen

3 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

I think that people owe Jericho an apology for thinking he was going to pull some quasi-Triple H burying young talent. 

Was this really something people were worried about? If anything, all existing evidence would suggest Chris would be too giving with his rub. 

The 10 man tag was well booked, but I still think Page/Omega is the endgame. My guess is they use Rick Knox being crooked to give Page another opportunity or something. Maybe he wins a battle royal under a Dark Order hood. Punk & Bryan aren't gonna be at tv every week, and I would hope that TK isn't dumb enough to repeat the mistakes we've seen WWE make. Punk/Omega wouldn't need the title to be awesome, especially if Punk is involved in the finish to Omega/Page. That Page/Dark Order opening video was THEE. SHIT.

Ricky Starks is so damn cool. 

I like the dynamic with Christian & Jurassic Express. I figure Christian is turning on them at some point but it's fun as hell.

Thunder Rosa rules. Glad she's "All Elite." Julia Hart is gonna be really good when she gets some more experience. She adds a lot to the Varsity Blondes act.

That Gage/Jericho thing was brutal. In a good way. Juvy will be fun next week. Tony Khan must be having a ball. He can book whatever weird shit he wants. 

Solid show.   

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

That was a good show. But the main event kinda made me wonder what is the limit. It got a little hard to watch. But deathmatch stuff was never really my cup of tea. I honestly think they should have saved Gage for last with Jericho. The hardest/most sadistic labor of them all.

Aside from that, I thought it was good show. I hope Dash didn't break his arm in a horrific way in the match against Santana/Ortiz. 

Dash had a good cut on his forearm. Maybe a gash. 

1 minute ago, SirFozzie said:

Back when he announced that he was joining  and one of the first champions there was a "AEW's wasting their time with a nostalgia act"

Didn’t see much of that, but I’ll take your word for it. Most of what I recall was people reasonably resigned to the idea that he was a wise choice to be first champ with name value when they hit TV.

I’ve personally moved beyond the need for Jericho, and so has the promotion, but his effort and commitment to the match tonight was commendable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I’m not mad or disappointed or anything. I’m just amazed this is still happening, lol 

It's more a sign of how vanilla they are. Their heroes are The Anderson's, Tully, and The Hart's... and they come up with gimmick names that would make Kevin Nash explode in laughter.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The novelty of Jericho working a match like this aside, I still don’t sense a great deal of excitement for his eventual match with MJF.

I mostly agree with this but did you hear how over the match with Spears was? Deadlock dude who won the game tournament and booked Luther in the match was in the front row and said Jericho getting the walls on Spears was the biggest pop he's heard at a wrestling show. I'm sure the MJF match will have some sort of stip. It should be the classic "only I can win" stipulation.

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I mostly agree with this but did you hear how over the match with Spears was? Deadlock dude who won the game tournament and booked Luther in the match was in the front row and said Jericho getting the walls on Spears was the biggest pop he's heard at a wrestling show. I'm sure the MJF match will have some sort of stip. It should be the classic "only I can win" stipulation.

For the moment, I’m grading on a bit of a curve for the main event acts that get to be first through the curtain on these early shows back on the road. But yes, I heard it. The people are certainly happy to be back. 

• Like 1

I thinky favorite moment of the show was just seeing King Haku. I have so much love for that man. 

The Varsity Blondes is a great trip and I hope they'll be around each other for years to come. Griff & Pillman being Julia's cheerleaders is such a good moment. 

Jericho/Gage was ok... It was pretty tame... And it just kind of ended out of nowhere. 

The chair shots & gig jobs taken during the Attitude era were far sicker than anything involving halogen light fixtures. It's a cool visual, I'll give you that.

I’m with the side that says hangman losing is their pivot and we’re getting punk vs omega at All Out. 

Also Mox is off the card in LA now, seems just like a trade. I hope if new japan sells out they increase capacity. All they have to do is open more sections, but they’re so conservative. 

Did I miss it or there just wasn’t any follow up to the lucha bros transport situation? Andrade had no heat but it’s not like he’s done anything. 

Also, I’d say thunder rosa’s first official match against a unique young act is somewhat intriguing, but they sure never wanted to mention it throughout the show. 

Anyway, thought the show was great fun as usual. 

Edited by matt925

Another crazy night of wrestling, and AEW still keeping the momentum going. Surprised by the ending of the Dark Order/Elite match, and going with that result  I would have had Hangman eliminate both Bucks before Omega wins with his chicanery. I still think that they are going with Hangman-Omega at All Out (with Hangman winning). It is too late for them to pivot from that, even for Bryan Danielson (it wouldn't be quite as bad as having Hangman lose at All Out, but still the wrong move and a major letdown for me at a far bigger level than the ending to Revolution or Blood and Guts). Not going to even think about Punk in that spot, even if I've come around on him coming to AEW. There will be one more move/swerve to get Hangman back in the title match, even if it's Hangman risking his AEW career or doing a Cody/Bucks permanent out of title scene stipulation. Also, in a company with tons of guys that are white hot, you cannot run a mildly over Christian against Omega at All Out in place of Hangman. I'm a huge Christian fan (though he's better as a heel), and would enjoy Christian-Omega title match as a TV main event, but not as a pay-per view main event.

Cody's heel turn needs to happen soon, as the crowd has clearly picked sides in his current feud and it's definitely not with him. Great first program for Black though, and glad that he's now with a company that will utilize his skills properly.

The Jericho-Nick Gage match was quite something, and this is the best Jericho has been in AEW (and I mostly enjoyed his title run). The Juve match will be something, but I'd keep that one shorter and not in the main event spot (great choice to put it there tonight though, as fans leave happy instead of depressed after the elimination match ending).

Man, you thought the CM Punk chants and reaction were the loudest ever in Rosemont for Money in the Bank? The Madhouse on Madison may top that. Fuck it. Get all of the Chicago Blackhawks and the rest of Punk's NHL buddies to fill out the hard cam section, do something akin to $0.10 beer night, and go fucking crazy. Now I'm wondering what he comes out to. Miseria Cantare? Cult of Personality? Maybe something new like Chelsea Dagger? It's going to be whatever Punk wants so who knows.

I'm surprised a lot of you were surprised Hangman lost. I figured he had to lose one more time to Kenny, fire sharpening iron and all that. Even though I somewhat expected it, I was still disappointed and felt bad for Hangman, so kudos on getting that reaction. Now have Omega talk shit about Hangman every now and then and build a slow, roaring flame for Hangman. To me, I always felt like Hangman would win the title at Revolution because they have called Revolution their Wrestlemania. Just seems like the best place to do it. It's not like Hangman falls off the face of the planet in the meanwhile and you can keep building him up to win the big one.

Main event got me feeling blood lust for the first time since I was a teen probably. It felt fun to feel young like that again and just want to see violence. Even though I watched the GCW show, this just got me in a different way. Maybe because it was all on national tv, maybe it was because you had thousands of people chanting MDK, but either way, it ruled as a spectacle.

Holy shit, whatever happened to Cash fucking sucked. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that happen before. Even the ref, the one I really don't like, went back to look at the corner to see what could have opened Cash's arm open like a zipper and he couldn't figure it out either. Sucked because that match was flowing well.

Opener was a lot of fun, but I think the cross promotion stuff for HBO Max is kinda cringey. Props to the Elite for turning that shit up to 11. I think that was the only way to make that work. I also don't like this Spotify version of Hangman's entrance music. The other one was a lot better. And yes, please get Sam Elliott to narrate a hype video for Hangman.

Archer vs Hikuleo was a match. Wasn't bad or anything, but Haku was on TV again and that was cool as shit.

Back to the United Center, I'm surprised they're only doing a 1 hour show from there. Seems like a waste of a good venue for only an hour, but the United Center is also crazy expensive to rent out so maybe just doing an hour of TV was a way to make it affordable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The novelty of Jericho working a match like this aside, I still don’t sense a great deal of excitement for his eventual match with MJF.

I honestly want Jericho to not succeed. Not because I'm not a fan because I still appreciate what he's doing, but these trials should show that Jericho can't overcome all of the odds. And then pivot to Sammy or Santana stepping up for Jericho. Probably Sammy in that case just to do the rematch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I honestly want Jericho to not succeed. Not because I'm not a fan because I still appreciate what he's doing, but these trials should show that Jericho can't overcome all of the odds. And then pivot to Sammy or Santana stepping up for Jericho. Probably Sammy in that case just to do the rematch.

Shit, have him lose just to demonstrate that there are stakes to this and it was never a foregone conclusion he'd get Max again. Every possible pivot is more satisfying than actually getting this match. 

• Like 2