DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL PRESEASON

RIPPA

Why did I not originally notice that players from teams whose opponents forfeit due to an unvaccinated breakout give up their game checks? WTF? Why are players punished big chunks of money because of actions from their opponents? 

Edited by Tabe

I'm assuming it's the same state of mind as the Code Red from A Few Good Men / Full Metal Jacket.  

If you punish everyone, they will handle the disruptor(s) themselves.  

Not saying that's a good thing... but that might be the mindset?  

Well its clear Kelvin Benjamin is not a fan of Joe Judge

He claims that Judge was "sabotaging the situation"

Kelvin Benjamin was released Wednesday by the New York Giants and didn't appreciate how it all went down for everybody to see. He was especially critical of coach Joe Judge, who he thought was doing everything to "kind of sabotage the situation."

Benjamin explained his side of the story in a phone conversation Wednesday night with ESPN. He was in good spirits despite the spirited on-field confrontation earlier in the day.

"I'm good," Benjamin said. "A little disappointment."

His disappointment was the result of how the situation unfolded. It all began with Judge calling Benjamin over on the field before the first practice of training camp at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center. Judge told the converted wide receiver that he'd be fined for reporting to camp overweight.

Benjamin, who was trying to resuscitate his career as a tight end, said the Giants wanted him to report to camp at 251 pounds. He was 265 pounds in the spring and came in at 268 pounds for camp.

A Giants source confirmed Benjamin was going to be fined for reporting overweight, even though he passed the conditioning test on Tuesday.

"First thing [Judge] said is I came in 15 pounds overweight," Benjamin said. "So I'm like, 'How did I come in 15 pounds overweight when I was 265 for minicamp?' And he said you left at 265 and came back at 268. Of course. I lift weights. I got more muscle.

"I'm basically smaller than I was as a wide receiver. I was like, how is that possible? I'm a tight end now. How does that make sense?"

From there the situation continued to spiral downward, according to Benjamin. He claimed to be cursed out by Judge, who also brought up incidents that occurred during the spring.

But most of all, Benjamin was confounded that he was confronted on the field before the first summer practice rather than behind closed doors.

"It was awkward," Benjamin said. "It didn't even make sense."

At that point, general manager Dave Gettleman intervened. Gettleman had drafted Benjamin in 2014 when he was general manager of the Carolina Panthers.

Benjamin walked off the field and into the locker room. Gettleman followed him.

"My mental state was thrown. I didn't know what to do," Benjamin said. "I just went to the locker room to calm down. Gettleman came in there, and I could hear in his voice that they were going to release me."

The Giants ultimately released Benjamin on Wednesday afternoon. It ended his potential comeback bid.

Benjamin, 30, last played in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs during the 2018 season. The Florida State product was originally a first-round pick by the Panthers.

Benjamin has spent time in his career with the Panthers, Buffalo Bills and Chiefs. He has 209 career receptions for 3,021 yards and 20 touchdowns.

His biggest gripe with the Giants on Wednesday was undoubtedly Judge. Benjamin didn't like the way Judge handled the situation and how he was treated.

"I think he was doing everything to kind of sabotage the situation," Benjamin said. "I don't know why."

The Giants did not comment on Benjamin's account of the situation when contacted late Wednesday by ESPN.

The Giants had Benjamin in for a workout during rookie minicamp in May and signed him afterward.

Judge and his staff coached Benjamin hard throughout the spring, much like they do with all players. They were working with him constantly on finishing plays and protecting the football. It didn't seem any different from the way they coach the rest of the team.

Sometime, however, before the first practice of the summer, it all went wrong. Benjamin didn't think it needed to go down this way.

"If anything, they shouldn't have had me come back to training camp," he said. "It's personal vendettas. That is what it is more than anything. They didn't want to give me the opportunity to get on the field. [Judge] could've been a man about it.

"Of course they're going to make it seem like I walked away. Where I quit. Anybody who went through a situation like that, I mean, how can I practice at that point? At the end of the day right is right, wrong is wrong."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

My favorite part is Benjamin acknowledging that he was 17 lbs overweight and he couldn't fathom why that would be an issue

C'mon, he's been lifting weights!

This line was telling: "I'm basically smaller than I was as a wide receiver"

So he was 268+ as a wide receiver?  Yeah, no wonder it didn't work out.

• Like 1

I said it when the Colts signed him,  and I'll say it again now. There is no evidence that Carson Wentz is currently a better quarterback than Jacoby Brissett.  He was the worst QB in the league last year not named Dwayne Haskins,  and his body is made of shards of glass, splinters of balsa wood, and held together with chewing gum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I said it when the Colts signed him,  and I'll say it again now. There is no evidence that Carson Wentz is currently a better quarterback than Jacoby Brissett.  He was the worst QB in the league last year not named Dwayne Haskins,  and his body is made of shards of glass, splinters of balsa wood, and held together with chewing gum. 

Look, when you get the chance to pick up a guy who can lead the league in interceptions while missing 1/4 of the season, you can't just pass that up. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Nah.

Chewing gum can absorb impacts.

• Haha 4

On 7/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, Tabe said:

I think at the end of the day, the overwhelming majority of players will get vaccinated. Either due to personal pressure, professional pressure, whatever the reason may be. I'm still not real sure how things will go this season since vaccinated people can still get COVID, but the more that are vaccinated the better as far as I'm concerned.

On that topic - Washington is currently having an outbreak with 6 players now on the COVID list

Most reports (and seemingly confirmed by the team) say WFT has one of the vaccination rates in the league (They and Indy are the only teams below 70%)

Only unvaccinated players can be labeled high-risk close contacts and sidelined without a positive test 

Ron Rivera today

It looks like Josh Allen did get stealth vaccinated and just isn't talking about it. Which, if he is trying to be a leader and not alienate the players that aren't vaccinated (including at least two WRs) then I understand it. I'm just happy he is as he seems pretty hesitant a few months ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, it seems that Josh may be contributing to the vaxxed percentage of a different state soon?  

Let's just say that the Cowboys and Texans both might have something to say about allowing that to happen. Also this is posturing, there will be a new stadium in Buffalo/Orchard Park it's just a matter of what the public/private split of cost ends up being.

• Like 1