DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 27: Sandhagen vs. Dillashaw (07/24/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

i scored the fight for Sandhagen and feel like the judges were overvaluing TJ's takedowns and holding him against the cage. But i'm fine with the decision. It was close either way.

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Have I missed any word on the UFC Bantamweight Championship? Yan vs. Sterling was on my 6th March birthday, the first time a title changed hands through disqualification. Sterling won due to Yan's illegal knee.

Sterling's getting some surgery done. Best case scenario, he will be available to fight late in the year. I expect it'll be longer than that and UFC will crown in interim champ.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i scored the fight for Sandhagen and feel like the judges were overvaluing TJ's takedowns and holding him against the cage. But i'm fine with the decision. It was close either way.

Sterling's getting some surgery done. Best case scenario, he will be available to fight late in the year. I expect it'll be longer than that and UFC will crown in interim champ.

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Google says "it's in the works" for the October 30th PPV, 267.

Cheers @twiztor and @Jiji.

Wasn’t it obvious that Sandhagen was giving up his back knowing that TJ wouldn’t be able to do anything with it (and TJ did literally nothing with it).

Sandhagen didn’t take any damage and TJ looked like he was murdered. 

Garbage decision in a night full of garbage decisions.

• Thanks 1

Did they actually acknowledge during the broadcast exactly why Dillashaw hadn't fought in two years? Because I didn't hear it. Did seem odd that they were talking about how he's always had great cardio and never gets tired, when he was doing EPO which gives you great cardio and makes sure you never get tired.

I just kind of feel this might end up being a no-contest, somewhere down the line.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Did they actually acknowledge during the broadcast exactly why Dillashaw hadn't fought in two years? Because I didn't hear it. Did seem odd that they were talking about how he's always had great cardio and never gets tired, when he was doing EPO which gives you great cardio and makes sure you never get tired.

I just kind of feel this might end up being a no-contest, somewhere down the line.

i'm not sure on your question, but the ad for the TJ episode of UFC Chronicle really pisses me off. It frames the whole thing as an inconvenience for TJ and that he is the victim of the whole thing. Like, it's a minor setback that he'll have to work hard but can overcome it. NO MOTHERFUCKER, YOU CHEATED. Your punishment was a 2 year suspension and the stigma you earned of not playing fair.

that being said, i don't really get upset over bad/questionable decisions anymore. They'd have to be especially heinous before it would upset me. If you're fighting and it's close, then anything can happen. I do believe UFC and whoever else should better educate judges and commissions, but you can only do so much. If you, as a fighter, have multiple fights where you lost a close decision you feel you should have won, i would advise you to do more to prove that you won. more output, more pressing the action, more varied output, do whatever you can to solidify the win. don't just coast because you feel like you're winning. Some of this can also go back on the coaches and corner people.

• Like 1

Usually I'm of a belief that stats in fighting do not tell the whole story (never mind the whole sidebar we could go on about exactly what gets counted as a strike in MMA. Do those little pitter-patter shots in the clinch that barely do anything get counted, or...? What strike is truly "significant" and which one is not...and why...and so on).

But...the stats for this fight (per UFCstats.com) are pretty interesting and show some razor-thin margins.

Significant Strikes - Sandhagen: 128 of 281. Dillashaw: 110 of 268.

Total Strikes - Sandhagen: 171 of 331. Dillashaw: 169 of 332.

I'd agree that the judges may have overvalued TJ's "cage control" and taking Sandhagen's back. He didn't do much of anything with it, and Sandhagen usually escaped without incident. On the other hand: if you don't need to let your opponent get there, then why let him? The spins - and I felt, Sandhagen looking for something else "highlight reel" at various points in the fight, especially in the earlier rounds - definitely worked to his detriment in this one.

Initially I was miffed at this decision, but it's hard to be angry as a fan if it truly was that close.

• Like 2

I was fairly okay with the decision.  Both guys were very busy fighters, but I feel that the judges gave too much credit to TJ for scoring takedowns that he did absolutely nothing with.  Even so, giving up your back is a pretty horrible visual for the judges which is another reason you should absolutely not leave the fight in their hands. 

A rematch is definitely in order.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

If we bring back Pride rules and judge the fight as a whole, there's literally no chance TJ wins a decision, right?  Given that Sandhagen took literally no damage and TJ looked like he took a shotgun to the face?

• Like 2

-- Damon Martin of MMA Fighting reported that bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling defending against former champion Petr Yan in a rematch is slated for 10/30 in Abu Dhabi. The winner of this fight should face Dillashaw next.

From f4wonline.com.

I thought the main was close but Sandhagen fought with such low fight IQ for the first half of the fight he has no one to blame by himself. When he just fought straight he was picking him apart and every time he went for a spinning thing or jumping knee he got taken down or put into a poor position and literally gave away two rounds doing that.