DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

Man, I called Spears doing the Mr. Blonde dance back at Double or Nothing. He's obviously been studying his movie psychopaths for his new gimmick.

Britt Baker has that 2015 Sasha Banks charisma. She loves everything she is doing, and the crowds are genuinely happy for her.

Chavo is a step up from Vickie, but I feel like Andrade could still do better. If anyone needs to turn, it's Abrahantes because his schtick is exactly what Andrade needs.

I'm really glad AEW still has a ton of momentum with the live crowds and they're putting on quality shows to match the enthusiasm.

• Like 2

Of guys who can pull off a freelance assassin gimmick, in 2021, gage has got to be at the top of the list, right?  I think inside the wrestling bubble at least, but figure between dark side of the ring and Arquette match, maybe a casual may have heard of him.

I also hope gage calls Jericho "nate hatred" in a promo.

• Haha 1

Man, we were fantasy booking Gage coming in and it's actually happening. I almost feel like that ranks above if Punk or Bryan comes in. Those two guys coming in felt like it could happen, but Gage was always like, "you know what would be cool? If Gage was brought in to help out Mox and King." He's not doing that, but holy shit, Gage was on AEW Dynamite, the crowd popped big for him, and he's going to pizza cutter the fuck out of Jericho.

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! MDK ALL FUCKIN' DAY!

• Like 2

MJF is totally going to slap Gage and that is going to blow up in his face spectacularly. Maybe not at first, but that dude is going to be held hostage with a pizza cutter or a broken light tube at some point.

• Like 2

I kind of skimmed this thread, but has no one mentioned the power bomb Cassidy took on the turnbuckle? Yikes! 

Shawn Spears reminds me of the kid in school who had rich parents but no talent at sports. He’d have all the highest-priced gear and he’d still suck at the sport. Spears has like a million gimmicks and no one gives a shit. 

• Like 3

Just now, Log said:

I kind of skimmed this thread, but has no one mentioned the power bomb Cassidy took on the turnbuckle? Yikes! 

@Goodear mentioned it and shit all over it because it's a transitional move now and it doesn't matter within the match (even though OC sells it the entire match).

• Like 1

To me, it looked like a really interesting way of having something that looks dangerous to an excessive degree, whilst not actually being that dangerous. Like as fans, we're programmed to think Turnbuckles = Dangerous, Powerbomb = Dangerous, and Buckle Bombs = Literally life threatening. But in terms of the actual bump, it's a lower elevation drop, onto a surface with some give to it. The main danger would be in hitting the back of the head on the turnbuckle post, and it was nowhere near. And then Orange took his own bump off the top rope, to the apron to the floor (which is a pretty standard thing you see dozens of times in Battle Royals and that).

So it was (comparatively) a safe move, but everything about it screamed DANGER PLUS DANGER ON TOP OF EVEN MORE DANGER and so therefore it was an awesome display of staggering genius.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Log said:

Shawn Spears reminds me of the kid in school who had rich parents but no talent at sports. He’d have all the highest-priced gear and he’d still suck at the sport. Spears has like a million gimmicks and no one gives a shit. 

This. @Gordberg nailed Shawn Spears saying his shirt, Heartless spelled Heatless wrong. So accurate, my friend.

Spears sticks out like a sore thumb to his Pinnacle stablemates.

• Like 2

I know Spears is kind of a board whipping boy but, dare I say, he’s been pretty good in The Pinnacle. I mean I’m not getting excited about a Spears match anytime soon, but he’s pretty much the perfect fit for his role.

He’s there to be the 5th guy, someone the face can beat early/mid-feud to overcome an obstacle/get one over on The Pinnacle, without sacrificing one of the important guys. He’s unlikely to go out and steal the show, but he’s reliable and just as unlikely to go out and shit the bed. The Chairman thing is a good gimmick in that he can still represent some kind of threat without ever really having to be seen as an equal to Jericho or whoever they’re gonna feud with. And the fact that nobody likes him works perfectly, he’s pretty much guaranteed not to get cheered over the face. No doubt there’s be better workers you could have in that role, but that’s kind of besides the point, I don’t see anyone else in AEW actually working as well in that role.

• Like 8

Yeah, I don’t mind Spears, he just needs to pick a lane. And he’s good in the Pinnacle. A group like that needs a guy that can take a fall and it not be a big deal. The rest of them need to be protected. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 1:55 AM, Go2Sleep said:

Man, I called Spears doing the Mr. Blonde dance back at Double or Nothing. He's obviously been studying his movie psychopaths for his new gimmick.

Tony Khan should totally buy the rights to "Stuck in the Middle With You" for Spears theme.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tony Khan should totally buy the rights to "Stuck in the Middle With You" for Spears theme.

My newfound love for Spears will continue as he cuts off his opponent's promo with, "are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?"  Bonus points if he's nonchalantly slurping a large soda.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Log said:

Yeah, I don’t mind Spears, he just needs to pick a lane. And he’s good in the Pinnacle. A group like that needs a guy that can take a fall and it not be a big deal. The rest of them need to be protected. 

This. And also, if there will be a need for it, he can take the Ole road and be the first one booted out of the group to make way for someone more suitable.

• Like 1