DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

Lost amongst the general positivity regarding tonight's show is that the "Elite Hunter" is now 0-2 in matches against the Elite. I'm not saying Frankie Kazarian should be a main event player, but I have no idea why they'd job him out to The Elite B Team. The post-match angle would have worked just as well if Kazarian had won.

And speaking of the B Team, why did Gallows and Anderson come out wearing title belts? What titles could those goobers possibly hold? The Born To Midcard Championships?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Lost amongst the general positivity regarding tonight's show is that the "Elite Hunter" is now 0-2 in matches against the Elite. I'm not saying Frankie Kazarian should be a main event player, but I have no idea why they'd job him out to The Elite B Team. The post-match angle would have worked just as well if Kazarian had won.

And speaking of the B Team, why did Gallows and Anderson come out wearing title belts? What titles could those goobers possibly hold? The Born To Midcard Championships?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of "The Elite Hunter" jobbing to Gallows. I would imagine this leads to Kazarian looking for some help to even the numbers. Those titles Gallows & Anderson hold are the Impact tag team titles.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, the show was really mid but the main event smoked their good not great TDM from IWGP, as JR called it. I'm happy Archer finally got a big win. Good stuff and he delivered. Next week, my goodness. 

Archer winning is good for AEW- because it was just the type of upset win AEW needs to do a bit more.  Mox can take this loss easily, Archer gets a lot scarier.

and yeah Nyla/Baker was meh, not terrible, but meh, and I think it's both of them not being in the top tier of AEW women when it comes to in-ring. 

Charlotte crowd isn't going to turn on Jericho.

I kinda wish for TDM's the 10 count would be as fast as the refs counted in World of Sport.  Might make it less of a spectacle, but it would keep things moving.

I forgot what it was like for an episode of a wrestling show to be over with and think "man, I wish next week was right now".

That's me with AEW on a weekly basis now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Friendly advice from a trans woman, and this has little to do with you inasmuch as I've seen this pop up a bunch of times in relation to Nyla (or other trans folks)...

The more someone says that their negative opinion of a trans person's work has nothing to do with them being trans, the more it sounds like that's exactly the problem you have with them. What you may be seeing as getting ahead of being accused of transphobia instead comes off to folks like me as "I'm not bigoted, but..."

We're allowed to be bad at things too, y'all, and it's okay for us being bad at things to be pointed out without people having to go "but I swear I'm not transphobic". ?

Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't considered it from that point of view. I appreciate the feedback when I'm doing something that's offense, it's the only way to learn from it. That isn't what I intended. I'll do better.

• Like 3

I popped for the Nick Gage announcement and enjoyed the Andrade/Death Triangle segment. I'm looking forward to Andrade versus any of the three of them, though I wonder if they're going to do a "are the Lucha Bros going to turn on Pac?" angle in there. They need to let more ESL wrestlers just cut promos in their native languages. Regardless of what they're saying, more often than not they come off more confident and have better body language that I'm more into it than watching them fumble putting something together in English.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't considered it from that point of view. I appreciate the feedback when I'm doing something that's offense, it's the only way to learn from it. That isn't what I intended. I'll do better.

Glad to assist. This is anecdotal, but I have found that I miss out on feedback on something I might need to work on because of fears that being given feedback is seen as transphobic. It's like... is the criticism of my work due to something that needs improvement? Then it's legitimate and I should probably hear it. Is the criticism of my work solely because of my gender? Then yeah, it's transphobic then. But really, who would take feedback seriously if it's "your work is bad because you're trans"? That's just cruddy feedback, lol.

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Eh, I hope not. I'd like to see Naito and Sanada get a long reign.

Dangerous Tekkers never should have dropped the IWGP World Tag Team Titles to GoD at this year's Wrestle Kingdom. If I had my way, they'd still be on their first reign and defended them against or lost to Tetsuya Naito/SANADA. I can see why the latter have won, gives something for Naito to do while he's out of the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. That's why the IWGP Intercontinental Championship was so useful and could be used as a credible semi-main/main event.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

As Jon Moxley entered the ring:

Him Ross: The New Japan rules are going to be followed here tonight. Even Knox can't screw this up! Submission or disqual- or er Knockout! "

I thought he said Mox. Didn't think anything of it.

• Sad 1

Only things I didn't like on that show were the Andrade/Death Triangle segment and the Nyla Rose/Britt Baker match. Actually, the latter was...fine, but Nyla is bad and Britt isn't good enough yet to carry her to a great match. Other than that, show fucking ruled. NICK FUCKIN' GAGE! Darby vs Yuta was fun as hell, main event kicked all kinds of ass.

PRO WRESTLING!

Is it next week yet?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

They need to let more ESL wrestlers just cut promos in their native languages. Regardless of what they're saying, more often than not they come off more confident and have better body language that I'm more into it than watching them fumble putting something together in English.

Thinking about the dumb Stephen Smith "Ohtani being the face of baseball is bad for the game" controversy from last week, I really hope AEW takes steps towards smashing this barrier in mainstream wrestling. Vince McMahon told Andrade to take English lessons and get back to him. Tony Khan should give Andrade the opportunity to stick that up his ass sideways. 

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Mox and Archer hit the spot, not seen the bloke Lance is wrestling next, any matches of his I should check out?

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Only things I didn't like on that show were the Andrade/Death Triangle segment and the Nyla Rose/Britt Baker match. Actually, the latter was...fine, but Nyla is bad and Britt isn't good enough yet to carry her to a great match. Other than that, show fucking ruled. NICK FUCKIN' GAGE! Darby vs Yuta was fun as hell, main event kicked all kinds of ass.

PRO WRESTLING!

Is it next week yet?

Yeah, that segment was just poor. Chavo is boredom incarnate to me and he's coming out acting all face-y, but then Andrade is trying to be super manipulative and in the middle of it all Chavo actually drops a decent burn on PAC but immediately backtracks because he's enjoyed getting a pop?? Not super familiar with Andrade's work but he has serious charisma and carries himself like a star, why continue to hitch him to lame ducks like Vickie and Chavo??? 

• Like 2

So the new live event announcement sounds real interesting. It’s either a few things. 

1. West Coast Show(Hinting at the further introduction of Danielson)

2. They finally got Club La Vela.

3. All Elite Vs. New Japan crossover show.

I guess we have to watch next week to find out.

Not as good as last weeks episode. They were in definite rush mode, just trying to cram stuff in as much as possible before the time ran out, which is very reminiscent of Nitro. Especially during the last half hour with the main event. The women’s title match had good moments in it, and these two have had good matches in the past, this just might’ve been their sloppiest encounter to date.

The finish to Cassidy Vs. Blade is why I enjoy the AEW feud blueprint. Basically it’s revenge fueled rivalries, with the good guys trying to get justifiable justice over the bad guys. This is old west justice, like the territory days of wrestling. 

Archer winning the belt wasn’t what I initially predicted. But after remembering that this is a New Japan belt, and rematches for them happen for over one calendar year, I started to warm up to the idea. Like I wrote out earlier in the thread, the natural progression now is a cage match at All Out. That’s the kind of spectacle you need to differentiate your match from the rest that night. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I forgot what it was like for an episode of a wrestling show to be over with and think "man, I wish next week was right now".

That's me with AEW on a weekly basis now.

Exactly 

I remember a few weeks ago we had those Friday/Saturday night Dynamites and it felt like an eternity having to wait from the previous Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So the new live event announcement sounds real interesting. It’s either a few things. 

1. West Coast Show(Hinting at the further introduction of Danielson)

2. They finally got Club La Vela.

3. All Elite Vs. New Japan crossover show.

I guess we have to watch next week to find out.

Not as good as last weeks episode. They were in definite rush mode, just trying to cram stuff in as much as possible before the time ran out, which is very reminiscent of Nitro. Especially during the last half hour with the main event. The women’s title match had good moments in it, and these two have had good matches in the past, this just might’ve been their sloppiest encounter to date.

The finish to Cassidy Vs. Blade is why I enjoy the AEW feud blueprint. Basically it’s revenge fueled rivalries, with the good guys trying to get justifiable justice over the bad guys. This is old west justice, like the territory days of wrestling. 

Archer winning the belt wasn’t what I initially predicted. But after remembering that this is a New Japan belt, and rematches for them happen for over one calendar year, I started to warm up to the idea. Like I wrote out earlier in the thread, the natural progression now is a cage match at All Out. That’s the kind of spectacle you need to differentiate your match from the rest that night. 

They're gonna name the Arthur Ashe Dynamite show "The Final Countdown"!