DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

Last week's show set a really high bar. I'm excited for this week's show and really hoping the Garland crowd can be close to as heated and responsive as the Cedar Park crowd were.

Orange Cassidy (w/Kris Statlander) vs. The Blade (w/The Bunny)

The Blade is really good, and should be able to bring out the serious side of Orangey Boy. It will be interesting to see how the seconds get involved an whether (and how) the brass nux come into play again.

Frankie Kazarian vs. Doc Gallows

Karl Anderson looked as good as he ever has in AEW, last week. Let's see if Gallows can match that performance here. This should be hard-hitting, at least, and the angry regular-sized human being vs nasty giant story writes itself.

The 5 Labors of Jericho: Chapter 1: Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Spears – “Spears Can Use A Chair, Jericho Can’t”

As I said last week, it would be a funny twist if Jericho were just to lose the first trial. That being said, it should be entertaining to watch the veteran work his way through The Pinochle. Presumably they have four or five more interesting stipulations in mind. The story of this one also pretty much writes itself, and I trust Jericho to come up with an interesting twist in the telling of it.

IWGP United States Title Match – Texas Death Match: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Lance Archer (w/Jake “The Snake” Roberts)

I've been a big Lance Archer fan since his match with Ospreay in the 2019 New Japan Cup. I was there live in person and that match stole the show. You know what was another pretty damned good Archer match? The match he had on night one of Wrestle Kingdom 14. Which was a Texas Death Match.  Against John Moxley. For the IWGP United States Title. A Texas Death match in Texas arguably makes more sense than a Texas Death Match in Tokyo. I'm hoping Archer does a call-back to the spot where he choke-slammed another wrestler onto Mox.

AEW Women’s World Championship Match: Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) (w/Rebel) vs. Nyla Rose (w/Vickie Guerrero)

I wonder if this match will get the main event slot. Rose beat DMD back in February to eliminate Baker from the AEW women’s world title eliminator tournament. A win here will show that Baker has grown as a wrestler since then. That's some nice longer-term story telling!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 2

This week seems like a lot of filler nothing matches with not a lot of stakes involved to me.  Last week we had 3 matches with build and pay offs and this week we have what looks like a middle chapter in the Jericho-MJF feud which has totally worn out its welcome and hopefully the ending to the Nyla-Britt feud which has been a miss.

Orange Cassidy (w/Kris Statlander) vs. The Blade (w/The Bunny)

Blade is pretty underrated but I'm just over the Orange Cassidy gimmick at this point. I really just don't see this leading to anything unless they are taking the Best Friends against the Hardy Family Office as the next Hardy feud and boy is that not exciting.  The Best Friends are really missing Trent as the worker of the bunch, Yuta doesn't feel like he belongs in the group to me.

Frankie Kazarian vs. Doc Gallows

Gallows doesn't do it for me. Kaz has been low key pretty good as the Elite Hunter in a Owen Hart "Blackhart" tribute sort of way. They need to put Frankie over here or he's going to be relegated to ineffective status. 

The 5 Labors of Jericho: Chapter 1: Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Spears – “Spears Can Use A Chair, Jericho Can’t”

I hate the 'you can pick the gimmick' stipulation since you could easily stack the deck to a ridiculous degree but you won't.  Jericho has looked terrible his last few outings (including Blood and Guts before he fell off the cage) and has been nearly immobile. Spears will have to carry the action and my hot take is that he can actually do that as he's good at getting a lot out of simple things like stomps and knees. Jericho should be able to sell at least so structurally it should work. 

IWGP United States Title Match – Texas Death Match: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Lance Archer (w/Jake “The Snake” Roberts)

I assume Mox isn't dropping the other promotion's title on AEW tv? They've really relegated Archer to an ineffective level of putting over main event talents while not protecting him. He needs wins right now and it looks to me like they're treating him like he's Kane and can absorb loss after loss. I'm not sure he's really up to that level at this point.

AEW Women’s World Championship Match: Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) (w/Rebel) vs. Nyla Rose (w/Vickie Guerrero)

Dud feud for a champion's victory lap. I hope this ends the feud so they can move Baker onto something else where she is the clear heel where she does her best work. Rose probably needs to be taken off television or removed from the division as they've mined her for all she's worth at this point. She hasn't been protected very well as the monster of the women's division. 

Darby Allin vs. Wheeler Yuta

Yuta's introduction has been poor. Him doing jobs to other small faces is a bad way of getting him over on the big show. Putting him over Darby here would be really odd since they just had Sammy beat him last week. I guess Darby has the booking protection from the beating he took last week but I would cast a heel here to take advantage of it, not a technical babyface. 

• Like 2

He's a better heel than face, Wheeler Yuta. A babyface would never use this as a finisher:

Spoiler

Wheeler Yuta: COVID-Era Star Making Waves With AEW and NJPW

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

He's a better heel than face, Wheeler Yuta. 

Yes he is.

I think we should get some Best Friend in training content because that seems like the story they are going with. Then he starts getting better, but at the same time dresses, and wrestles more like Trent?, while taking short cuts. He could even change his name to “Trent!” to complete the whole imposter look before Trent? comes back to reclaim his spot from his evil doppelgänger.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Assuming this is 10-count rules, it might be an uphill battle for Mox and Archer as Texas Death Matches tend to suck and are one of my least favorite gimmick matches. Anyone got some Texas Death Match recommendations to help me change my mind?

Chris Harris Vs. James Storm is one that immediately comes to mind. 

Both men bleed buckets. Like I’d be stunned if this isn’t covered on Way of The Blade.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Assuming this is 10-count rules, it might be an uphill battle for Mox and Archer as Texas Death Matches tend to suck and are one of my least favorite gimmick matches. Anyone got some Texas Death Match recommendations to help me change my mind?

Count me in as someone looking for TDM recommendations too. The idea of Terry Funk and Dick Murdoch beating the piss out of each other until one can't make a ten-count is pretty exciting but I've yet to see one that gets the heart racing. 

I don’t see Moxley losing the belt. Bushiroad won’t let him leave that easily. They haven’t even run a show without strict guidelines yet in Japan, and I’m sure they’d want him as a draw for the shows with full capacity.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Goodear said:

They've really relegated Archer to an ineffective level of putting over main event talents while not protecting him. 

I suspect in their minds the limited number of losses he's taken does equate to protection. 

I'm not sure how much protection a bonafide JTTS-level guy needs, but I'm sure they feel they've achieved it.

Edited by John from Cincinnati

That sucks because Archer desperately needs a win right now after everything. They can do a title switch back to Mox with another big gimmick match I think, and since Archer is alumni I don't see NJ having a problem with it. 

Storm/Harris is indeed really good and REAL REAL bloody. Like, 8 on the Muta Scale bloody. I think if you're gonna do a Texas Death Match you need something like the possibility of someone passing out from blood loss to keep them down. Unfortunately the first TDMs I ever saw were a pair of Harley vs. Hogan matches on an old WWF tape that were both awful. This one should be pretty good (and somehow I've never seen it either?

It's the one where Mick wanted to cash on his Lloyd's of London insurance so wait for the end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alstein said:

The actual JTTS's like Janela get eaten up in 2 minutes by Archer.

I wish.

02.07.2020    All Elite Wrestling    Lance Archer defeats Joey Janela (10:35)
AEW Dynamite #40 - Fyter Fest 2020 - Tag 2 - TV-Show @ Daily's Place in Jacksonville, Florida, USA

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=10271&page=4&search=lance+archer

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That sucks because Archer desperately needs a win right now after everything. They can do a title switch back to Mox with another big gimmick match I think, and since Archer is alumni I don't see NJ having a problem with it. 

You aren’t wrong. They could easily put the belt on Archer, and then have Mox win it back in a… Let’s say a cage match at All Out(to raise the stakes). It’s not like Moxley has anybody else to work with right now in AEW.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh man I'm laughing so hard now. Just getting into the rules of the Jack/Vader match above, they put 

Rule 2. Falls don't count

and then 

Rule 4. Falls any place in building

Fucking WCW ?

That match is a disappointment for me, but the endings pretty cool.

13 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Nyla Rose is an excellent promo and underrated in ring.  Here’s hoping she can silence the peanut gallery like Ethan Page did last week. 

I'll disagree to an extent. Nyla Rose is a good on promos, sure, but she gasses out quickly and has been borderline dangerous in multiple matches. She's very good when she has someone to carry her, but as good as Britt has become, I don't know if Britt is going to be able to carry Nyla like Shida or Riho did. Every time Nyla goes for that power bomb late in a match, she looks like she's about to drop her opponent on their head. 

I'm not saying she's Nia Jax levels of bad or dangerous, but she's had more than a few near misses. Conversely, she also has all the tools to be awesome if she could add conditioning to the mix.