DVDVR Message Board

Bask in Raw's Glory - 7/19/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Here's hoping they call up Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa next. Jinder Mahal needs to destroy some jobbers if he's going to look good for this program with Drew McIntyre.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

E6t2dgVWUBM8CnN?format=jpg&name=large

[record scratch] [freeze frame] Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Yeah, this is how it feels when "a promotion" you just got turns your "dream job" into "a frickin' nightmare". I mean, I don't KNOW that, but this is how I'd assume I would look in that situation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Here's hoping they call up Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa next. Jinder Mahal needs to destroy some jobbers if he's going to look good for this program with Drew McIntyre.

They can wait for at least one more week, as Jinder squashes Keith Lee next week, but after that...

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

They can wait for at least one more week, as Jinder squashes Keith Lee next week, but after that...

I mean, there's enough NXT fodder to go around for both Jinder and Drew.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

[record scratch] [freeze frame] Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Slap some face paint on him and he's basically the third member of the Ascension.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean, there's enough NXT fodder to go around for both Jinder and Drew.

Yeah, there will be, after those "promotions".

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Slap some face paint on him and he's basically the third member of the Ascension.

Now you're just being cruel! Funny, accurate, yes, but cruel nonetheless!

I don't even like Kross, but it's just the handling of these guys when they're brought up that is so frustrating. 

And I do really like Adam Cole and have thought that Vince wouldn't job him out because of his size, but last night made me think like the rest of you that he'd probably just be jobbed out a bunch. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Remember that scene in Scanners when that dudes head blew up?

Yes, let's all pile on poor Kross! Where is the decency, good people? ...Naah, just kidding! He'll be ok, eventually!

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I don't even like Kross, but it's just the handling of these guys when they're brought up that is so frustrating. 

And I do really like Adam Cole and have thought that Vince wouldn't job him out because of his size, but last night made me think like the rest of you that he'd probably just be jobbed out a bunch. 

Triple H would have a goddamned heart attack if Adam Cole was called up and immediately made a JTTS. He's gotta be the most pushed and somewhat protected guy in NXT history, right? That brand, or whatever, has put a lot of time and effort into Adam Cole. It really seems like ever since Finn Balor debuted on the main roster and then immediately got injured that they've been really hesitant on NXT (male main eventer) call-ups.

Weird that they generally do okay with the female ones, though. Maybe it's because that division is so thin on either show. Which reminds me, now we're one step closer to seeing Toni Storm vs Sasha Banks eventually, when we could have gotten Toni Storm vs Bayley, GODDAMNIT.

Jeff Hardy only got squashed by Jinder twice because they were punishing him for Lita going on Renee's podcast, or they were upset that Matt Hardy has 4 kids now. Y'know, something random that's not actually got anything to do with Jeff. But now his punishment is over and he's allowed to win matches again.

The Keith Lee thing is what bothers me most though. How many fucking JAGs do they have in catering that Lashley could have essentially squashed? Lee has been out for for more than half a year, he comes back without any promotion or build up, and he immediately loses to Lashley when you could put Lee against anyone else for a win. 

It is fucking maddening. I'm not even sure if there's a point to me watching NXT anymore. Everyone there is in a dead end. 

Like, I have way too many fucking questions about what happened and why. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

The Keith Lee thing is what bothers me most though. How many fucking JAGs do they have in catering that Lashley could have essentially squashed? Lee has been out for for more than half a year, he comes back without any promotion or build up, and he immediately loses to Lashley when you could put Lee against anyone else for a win. 

It is fucking maddening. I'm not even sure if there's a point to me watching NXT anymore. Everyone there is in a dead end. 

Like, I have way too many fucking questions about what happened and why. 

Yes. Keith Lee doing Keith Lee things should not be messed with any outside forces. I just about gave up on main roster when they first F'd his run (other than PPVs) and now I at least routinely give up on anyone from NXT(UK) who gets demoted to main shows. I wouldn't want to do that, but I better get used to it.

As a dedicated e-fed participant in the early 2000’s it’s becoming patently obvious that Vince is running Raw like a gigantic e-fed.  The characters he writes get pushed.  The wrestlers he kind of likes get enough to be prominent.

Poor old Kross forgot to submit his RP this week and got jobbed out with minimal writing effort.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

He’ll make this same face when the Feds show up at his front door to ask him where he was January 6th…

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

As a dedicated e-fed participant in the early 2000’s it’s becoming patently obvious that Vince is running Raw like a gigantic e-fed.  The characters he writes get pushed.  The wrestlers he kind of likes get enough to be prominent.

Poor old Kross forgot to submit his RP this week and got jobbed out with minimal writing effort.

Not exactly e-fed, but Scarlett needs to be revealed as Vince's illegitimate daughter ASAP, so Kross can get Creative Control in true EWR fashion!

Edited by Shartnado
Comma removed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Adam Cole’s got (at least) two things working against him; his complete lack of size, and a significant other succeeding elsewhere. 

At this point, if Vince, Nicky K or Podcast Prichard thought he could help a main roster show, he’d be on that show. These dudes who are just stagnated on the top of nxt’s roster should pray they either stay there forever or get released before they get brought up to job to Jaxson fucking Ryker…

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The next time someone mentions the hive mind, show them this thread, where some people loved the show and some hated it. 

Going on four pages when Raw has struggled to get five posts in recent months. “Stuff is happening” at least. 

Interesting to see some react to the show as a show, and some people react to the show for the booking. This Kross thing might be the best example of this we’ve had recently.

For show watchers, longtime favorite Jeff Hardy got this theme back and chumped out punk mark buster Karrion Kross and it’s great because that dude sucks. For booking watchers, it’s maddening because ‘what is Vince thinking’ or whatever. 

12 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Last night was Karrion Kross' birthday.

You can pretty much guarantee they'll use this meme in the next Botchamania:

Ralph gets his heart broken on Make a GIF

And I say this with all the love: Fuck you, RunningFromAmerica! That's brutal!

Thought the show was ok.  I watched more of it than usual, and was more interested than usual.  Think the live crowd helped a lot.  Lee's booking doesn't surprise me much.  His six month absence hasn't been explained and seems more mysterious than it needs to be.  Some news sites say he's been injured, most say he wasn't, and Lee and Mia Yim's social media posts on the subject have ranged from cryptic ("some day I hope to be able to tell you the full story") to abrasive ("It's none of the fans' business").  Seems likely that there's some issue between him and the front office that will cause Vince to move on from him.

Kross' upset did surprise me, unless it's part of an angle to bring Scarlet in as someone who can fix and refocus Kross.  If this leads to Jeff Hardy in NXT, that probably would be a positive.

Rest of the show was alright.  I don't have an opinion on Nikki one way or the other, so I was mostly neutral about her title win.  As I said in the MitB thread, I don't really like babyfaces using the briefcase to jump the heel champ while they're in the middle of another match.  They didn't even send Nikki out after the 20 min match.  She came out after Rhea got the upper hand in a post-match brawl and wiped Charlotte out with the Riptide on the floor.  Odd.  They're not really pushing Nikki as being on the level of the other women.  Her push has mostly consisted of "wins" over Charlotte and Rhea where she didn't come close to pinning them, but managed not to get pinned in a very short match with a time limit.

It's really on brand for Nikki to start doing a super babyface gimmick (pun intended) then immediately team with  a creepy demon from hell (or whatever Alexa is supposed to be these days) and win a title by jumping a defenseless opponent. 

Meltzer says Goldberg's contract only calls for two matches a year.  Goldberg already wrestled at WM, so i don't really see him winning the belt unless he drops it to Big E the same night.  Hopefully they don't go that route again.

• Like 1