DVDVR Message Board

Bask in Raw's Glory - 7/19/2021

Dolfan in NYC

FWIW I can kinda follow the logic of the Keith Lee deal, and can also see exactly where it fell apart. If you replace Bobby Lashley putting up an open challenge with John Cena's weekly US title open challenge then having a guy who has been away for 6 months returning in his home state on the first Raw with fans back to put in a legit challenge even in defeat... I can see that making sense and having a good chance of working. The problem is that Lashley is not the same kind of champion and after the match the night before shouldn't be giving up much of anything, so you end up with a match where he maybe gave up more than he should while also not giving up nearly enough for it to really benefit Lee. I don't see spite, I see the error in overlooking the context surrounding the situation.

I got nothing for the Kross thing, although I will say that if they just switched Jeff and Lee's spots it might have all actually worked out somehow.

• Like 5

Cena's promo seems to suggest that he thinks Reigns is more or less the same guy he was a few years ago. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the story on Smackdown on Friday.

The 6-man tag was fine. Elias vs Ryker wasn't.

Separating Reginald from the women's division was needed, him mixing it up with the 24/7 crowd should be fun.

Looking forward to how they build to Sheamus-Priest.

Lashley-Lee have good chemistry. Hopefully they get a full program down the road. Goldberg's return was expected. I'm pretty neutral on it.

Nikki's championship win is a case of someone betting on themselves and getting Vince to see their POV. Good for her. Who knows how long they run with it, but it has a chance of being something kids can get into.

As for Karrion Kross:

Even beyond being average for a brand built on work rate, Kross winning the NXT title from a newly-crowned Keith Lee left a bitter taste in many fans' mouths. He was the bull in the china shop. He then loses whatever steam he had because of a shoulder injury. They should have sent him to RAW as soon as he was cleared. Instead, he went back to NXT and beat Finn Balor, who had done strong work as champ.

Kross's current presentation is bad, and I'm not talking about taking away Scarlett. I have no clue who he's supposed to be. Is he a doomsday demon or a gladiator-warrior abandoned by his army?  That he had so many dark/trial matches was a red flag, IMO. Everyone else did 1-2 matches. He had 3-4, which makes me think they were trying to overly prep him. If you watch NXT, you've seen him get verbally geeked out by half the roster. 

There's nothing substantial about him beyond Scarlett and a decent entrance theme. His size, a plus in NXT, doesn't stand out next to guys like Lashley and McIntyre. His voice isn't intimidating. His overall look is fine, but nothing special. He's the epitome of JAG, even if he had won the match against Jeff. They clearly are going to try with him for a bit. Maybe they have Scarlett 'rescue' him similar to what Zelina Vega did with Andrade in NXT. But I think the writing's on the wall with him.  Triple H covered Kross's flaws, but they were always going to be a liability on RAW or SD. There's no true spark with him.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

She won the belt. Why is she still almost a superhero?

Because superheroes don't exist and that's as close as anyone would get? Also, I'm not sure if anyone has turned into a superhero just by winning a title? Or was this a trick and/or rhetorical question?

23 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Because superheroes don't exist and that's as close as anyone would get? Also, I'm not sure if anyone has turned into a superhero just by winning a title? Or was this a trick and/or rhetorical question?

Do not make me reason this specific one out and show my work, pal.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Because superheroes don't exist and that's as close as anyone would get?

Wasn't the Hurricane billed as a legit superhero? Maybe even Neville?

Just now, Dog said:

Wasn't the Hurricane billed as a legit superhero? Maybe even Neville?

And Ricochet. And Rosey was one in Training, but sadly I don't think he ever got to graduate. None of these people sure weren't booked like legit superheroes. But I guess they do exist, then. Nikki needs another name change , or the acronym needs to stand for : Nikki , a Super Hero.