DVDVR Message Board

Money in the Bank 2011: Ten Year Anniversary.

The Natural

43gLkqnF?format=jpg&name=small

Yesterday Money in the Bank 2011 turned ten. One of the best wrestling shows of all time with the amazing main event between John Cena and CM Punk for Cena's WWE Championship before a molten hot Chicago crowd. Punk said he'd win, leave with the WWE Championship and did just that. Real shame WWE's Summer of Punk was so messed up. Said show also hosted the best Money in the Bank Ladder match to this day as Daniel Bryan defeated Sheamus, Kane, Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel and Sin Cara to win it. My review of both:

WWE Championship. John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011.

CM Punk vs. John Cena was excellent from beginning to end. The opening feeling out process and the respective targeting on body parts with Punk on Cena’s neck and Cena on Punk’s torso. The counters of each other’s main moves such as Punk escaping the Attitude Adjustment pushing Cena into the ropes to the running knee Punk usually does in the corner. The second one was right on the jaw. My favourite exchange in the match is when CM Punk went for the Go to Sleep, Cena catches the leg midair putting Punk in the STF and Punk after staying in the hold for some time turned into an Anaconda Vice. Punk kicked out of two Attitude Adjustments when this was a rare event.The perfect finish as Cena had Punk in the STF in the middle of the ring. Vince McMahon told the timekeeper to ring the bell in a cashback to the Montreal Screwjob at Survivor Series 1997. The timekeeper refused so Vince sent John Laurinaitis out to do it but was stopped by Cena who nailed him with a punch. Cena went back into the ring and walked into the match ending Go to Sleep. All this played before a hot crowd. One of the longest non gimmick matches in WWF/WWE history, 33:44. A ***** match.

Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder match. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Kane vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Wade Barrett vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Sin Cara.

This remains my #1 MITB Ladder match and one of the best Ladder matches ever for the content, the pacing in it and the big spots. There’s Daniel Bryan’s perseverance, Sheamus Powerbomb putting Sin Cara through a ladder. Kane’s chokeslam on Sheamus onto a ladder which Sheamus fucking bounced off and Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash from a flat ladder laying across the top turnbuckle on Kane. The match resulted in a surprising but a very worthy winner in Daniel Bryan which added to my enjoyment off the match. ****1/2.

---

The show also featured an underrated Randy Orton vs. Christian match as Christian regained the World Heavyweight Championship by getting Orton disqualified. I recorded Money in the Bank 2011 when it went out and bought the official DVD release. I hardly ever buy those, rather the DVD box sets.

Thoughts on Money in the Bank 2011 besides we're fucking old?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 9:04 AM, The Natural said:

43gLkqnF?format=jpg&name=small

Yesterday Money in the Bank 2011 turned ten. One of the best wrestling shows of all time with the amazing main event between John Cena and CM Punk for Cena's WWE Championship before a molten hot Chicago crowd. Punk said he'd win, leave with the WWE Championship and did just that. Real shame WWE's Summer of Punk was so messed up. Said show also hosted the best Money in the Bank Ladder match to this day as Daniel Bryan defeated Sheamus, Kane, Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel and Sin Cara to win it. My review of both:

WWE Championship. John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011.

CM Punk vs. John Cena was excellent from beginning to end. The opening feeling out process and the respective targeting on body parts with Punk on Cena’s neck and Cena on Punk’s torso. The counters of each other’s main moves such as Punk escaping the Attitude Adjustment pushing Cena into the ropes to the running knee Punk usually does in the corner. The second one was right on the jaw. My favourite exchange in the match is when CM Punk went for the Go to Sleep, Cena catches the leg midair putting Punk in the STF and Punk after staying in the hold for some time turned into an Anaconda Vice. Punk kicked out of two Attitude Adjustments when this was a rare event.The perfect finish as Cena had Punk in the STF in the middle of the ring. Vince McMahon told the timekeeper to ring the bell in a cashback to the Montreal Screwjob at Survivor Series 1997. The timekeeper refused so Vince sent John Laurinaitis out to do it but was stopped by Cena who nailed him with a punch. Cena went back into the ring and walked into the match ending Go to Sleep. All this played before a hot crowd. One of the longest non gimmick matches in WWF/WWE history, 33:44. A ***** match.

Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder match. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Kane vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Wade Barrett vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Sin Cara.

This remains my #1 MITB Ladder match and one of the best Ladder matches ever for the content, the pacing in it and the big spots. There’s Daniel Bryan’s perseverance, Sheamus Powerbomb putting Sin Cara through a ladder. Kane’s chokeslam on Sheamus onto a ladder which Sheamus fucking bounced off and Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash from a flat ladder laying across the top turnbuckle on Kane. The match resulted in a surprising but a very worthy winner in Daniel Bryan which added to my enjoyment off the match. ****1/2.

---

The show also featured an underrated Randy Orton vs. Christian match as Christian regained the World Heavyweight Championship by getting Orton disqualified. I recorded Money in the Bank 2011 when it went out and bought the official DVD release. I hardly ever buy those, rather the DVD box sets.

Thoughts on Money in the Bank 2011 besides we're fucking old?

Yeah, all of this! I was having the time of my life watching this PPV from my friends's harddrive. My aunt decides to call me out of the blue and I'm so drunk off my ass I can hardly assemble a coherent sentence, but made sure I was having a really good time! I haven't watched this PPV since, because I doubt it would rock as much as it did on that day!

• Like 1