DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT Slammiversary XVII - 7/17/2021

Cool video package promoting Slammiversary while looking back on past stars who have wrestled for the company. Its well done. Amazing how it's still around ditching TNA for IMPACT Wrestling. Few questions.

@DreamBroken: Don Callis and Scott D'Amore still booking IMPACT Wrestling? How long? What's the difference between the IMPACT World Championship and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship when both were seperate belts? I know the latter was introduced May 2007. Thought you were the guy to ask with how long you've supported IMPACT Wrestling for on the board. Thanks.

@AxB: Do we get IMPACT Wrestling? Think I remember you saying we did. Thanks.

Enjoy the video and the show!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

We actually don't, not right now. Apparently the best way to see it is to follow Jessicka Havok's twitch, because she does watchalongs every week.

• Thanks 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to IMPACT Slammiversary XVII - 7/17/2021

Fuck it, I'm making this the main thread.  

The Card: 

No Disqualification Match For the Impact World Championship - Kenny Omega (c) vs. Sami Callaihan

For the Impact Knockouts World Championship  - Deonna Purrazzo (c) vs. TBD

Ultimate X Match for the Impact X Division Championship - Josh Alexander (c) vs. Petey Williams vs. Trey Miguel vs. Ace Austin vs. Chris Bey vs. Rohit Raju

Four Way Match for the Impact Tag Team Championship - Violent By Design (c) vs. Rich Swann/Willie Mack vs. TJP/Fallah Bahh vs. The Good Brothers 

For the Impact Knockouts Tag Team Championship - Fire n' Flava (c) vs. Rosemary/Havok

Chris Sabin vs. Moose

Eddie Edwards vs. W. Morrissey

Matt Cardona/? vs. Brian Myers/Tenille Dashwood

--

Rosemary Havok sounds like a bourbon drink I'd have to pay $17 dollars for in Flatbush. It would also be delicious. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Has anyone other than Omega appeared on Impact lately?  I think Matt Hardy & Private Party worked on Impact taping when the "forbidden door" stuff first started.  Sammy Guevara was supposed to work Impact but there were some sort of creative differences and he didn't work the tapings.  Was that the end of it?  i haven't been following TNA that closely but I haven't heard about anyone working Impact since then (besides Omega, obviously).

Also, did anyone from Impact make it to AEW other than the Good Brothers?

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Callis used to book Impact, but he resigned all his exec positions after the show where Kenny won the titles, so now it's D'Amore and Dreamer booking.

During COVID, Moose resurrected the old TNA World Belt and proclaimed himself champ during a taping stretch where Swann couldn't make it, but it was a "renegade" belt. Swann was the Impact champ, and ended up beating Moose to "unify" the belts and was using both, then Kenny beat him and they're still using both.  Since the Impact belt is just the renamed TNA belt, it's literally 2 belts signifying the same Title and there was never really any split.  

Outisde of Matt Hardy and Private Party,  no other AEW contracted talent outside of Kenny has appeared on an Impact show, and no Impact talent outside of the Good Brothers have shown up in AEW.  

As for following Impact, I don't know if Impact is shown on Fite or Impact Plus outside of the US, but Impact has it's own Twitch Channel that constantly shows older shows, as well as simulcasting with Anthem on Thursdays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

video package promoting Slammiversary while looking back on past stars who have wrestled for the company. Its well done. Amazing how it's still around ditching TNA for IMPACT Wrestling. Few questions.

@DreamBroken: Don Callis and Scott D'Amore still booking IMPACT Wrestling? How long? What's the difference between the IMPACT World Championship and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship when both were seperate belts? I know the latter was introduced May 2007. Thought you were the guy to ask with how long you've supported IMPACT Wrestling for on the board. Thanks.

D'Amore is the lead with final say on everything and with Callis out, Jimmy Jacobs is the head of creative. Robert "RD" Evans is also on the team (he was behind most of the WrestleHouse stuff last year), and as mentioned, Tommy Dreamer has a lot of input as well. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

D'Amore is the lead with final say on everything and with Callis out, Jimmy Jacobs is the head of creative. Robert "RD" Evans is also on the team (he was behind most of the WrestleHouse stuff last year), and as mentioned, Tommy Dreamer has a lot of input as well. 

Thanks, @DreamBroken. Wonder what led Don Callis to leave? Guessing frees up time to do more with AEW. Always liked Callis on commentary dating back to the Truth Commission in WWF, as Cyrus the Virus in ECW, in NJPW and now AEW.

• Like 2

Eh, the two you're likely referring to will make perfectly fine midcard fodder. Not like they're going to get pushed to the moon. If they didn't put the World title on Cardona or Myers, they aren't gonna do anything close to that with the two male debuts tonight.

But the two women surprises so far have been great.

EDIT: And now there's another debut right after the debut in the Women's title match. Fantastic stuff.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

The weird thing is that the women who get released are generally really solid talent that doesn't fit this dumb WWE mold that is currently out there.  Plus they have previous TNA experience.  Although given the 3rd person I wonder if the NWA s back working with IMPACT

At least with Eric Young and Steve Cutler they have tried to re-invent into different characters.  And Big Cass/Wil Morrisey actually looks like he could have a Drew McIntyre like revival if he stays clean.  But bringing in No Way Jose in the WWE gimmick is just asking for nothing.  It isn't like he CAN'T do anything else.  Aiden English I will guess we will see because character wise he has potential but in the ring he did nothing.

• Like 1

Callihan/Omega was REALLY good, I thought. In another life, Omega would make a good deathmatch wrestler I think.

That ending, though. Had me all hyped up, we've waited to see this for awhile (well, some of us) and then... fade to credits when it wasn't supposed to happen. Never change, Impact.

• Like 1

I doubt that was a "dropped the ball and faded to black" accident, probably more of a "Tune into Impact to find out what happened"

But that show pretty much delievered.  That V-Trigger with a mouth full of thumbtacks was sick.

• Like 2

Solid knockouts tag on the preshow and a good payoff, though sad to see Fire N Flava lose the titles again. Pretty great Ultimate X, loved Petey's trifecta of Canadian Destroyers. Fun return for Chelsea Green. Morrissey/Eddie was solid, as was Sabin/Moose - shocked to see Sabin get the win there as I was not expecting that at all. 

Thunder Rosa vs Virtuosa was a nice surprise. Shorter match than I expected but nice while it lasted. Hope the eventual Mickie/Deonna match is great as well.  Omega/Callihan was an awesome bloody brawl with pizza cutters, forks, barbed wire, and thumbtacks. Some pretty good near falls in there and a nice finish. Interesting cliffhanger sort of ending has me looking forward to the follow ups. Real good show as Slammiversary seems to always tend to deliver the goods each year.

Slammiversary Full Results:

Spoiler

*Countdown Preshow Match: Decay (Havok & Rosemary (w/ Crazzy Steve & Black Taurus) def. Fire 'N' Flava (Kiera Hogan & Tasha Steelz)(c) (9:12) when Havok pinned Kiera after the Tombstone to WIN the Knockouts Tag Team Championships!

Impact Wrestling Slammiversary 2021 - July 17, 2021 from Nashville, TN

*Josh Alexander(c) def. Ace Austin, Chris Bey, Rohit Raju, Petey Williams, & Trey Miguel (15:51) in an Ultimate X match to retain the X Division Championship.

*Matt Cardona & Chelsea Green def. Brian Myers & Tenille Dashwood (w/ Sam Beale & Kaleb with a K) (5:59) when Chelsea pinned Tenille with the Unprettier after a low blow with her cast, following Cardona wearing a cup to block Tenille's low blow attempt.

*W. Morrissey def. Eddie Edwards (11:01) with a powerbomb after hitting him with a chain behind the ref's back.

*A vignette aired for the debut of Drama King Matt (formerly Aiden English)

*Madman Fulton & Shera came to the ring complaining and bullying the referee. Scott D'Amore came out and announced that if they wanted a fight, he had a team to face them..

*FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson) def. Madman Fulton & Shera (1:16) when Finlay pinned Fulton with an acid drop after Fulton & Shera could not get along.

*Chris Sabin def. Moose (11:59) with a victory roll.

*The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) def. Violent by Design (Rhino & Joe Doering w/ Eric Young & Deaner), Rich Swann & Willie Mack, and Fallah Bahh & No Way Jose (10:42) when Gallows pinned Rhino after the Magic Killer to WIN the Impact Tag Team Championships!

*Deonna Purrazzo(c) def. Thunder Rosa (10:43) after the Queen's Gambit to retain the knockouts championship! After the match, Mickie James came to the ring to invite Deonna to come to NWA Empowerrr. Deonna said this was her moment and her division, then told Mickie to grab her trash bag and get the hell out. Mickie then slapped Deonna and kicked her out of the ring.

-Impact returns to PPV with Bound for Glory in Las Vegas on October 23, the next Impact+ Special will be Homecoming on July 31 featuring a mixed tag team tournament.

*Kenny Omega(c) def. Sami Callihan (27:30) in a No DQ match with the One Winged Angel onto thumbtacks to retain the Impact Worlds Heavyweight Championship! After the match, Omega celebrated with Don Callis & The Good Brothers until "Switchblade" Jay White showed up. White entered the ring and Omega/Gallows/Anderson/Callis put up the Too Sweet offer to him. FinJuice started to run to the ring as the show came to an end. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

If it was intentional, they made it look pretty convincingly "we fucked up". Very abrupt fade to credits with D'Lo & Striker still talking, even when it went to the black screen. I'll give them credit - I'm very interested in what happens now, especially since they teased Bound For Glory being a joint show between Impact, AEW, AAA and New Japan. But, sadly, I don't get AXS in my cable plan - and I'll be at work anyway. But I'm definitely paying closer attention to Impact as of right now.

1 minute ago, Krone Meltzer said:

SRS reporting that FinnJuice came out to attack Switchblade before White hit his finish on Juice and ducked out.

So Switchblade is a heel, since FinnJuice are faces in Impact? Does that mean he put up the sign and the civil war is finally over? What's going on???

• Like 1

Callis name-dropped Nick Gage during Omega's introduction, and now GCW tweeted that hey, maaaaybe Omega might show up in Atlantic City next weekend to face Gage. (That clearly will not happen, but I respect the balls it takes to put it out there.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Callis name-dropped Nick Gage during Omega's introduction, and now GCW tweeted that hey, maaaaybe Omega might show up in Atlantic City next weekend to face Gage. (That clearly will not happen, but I respect the balls it takes to put it out there.)

Especially when someone already on the PPV is actually facing Gage next week

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I haven't really followed IMPACT but I thought FinJuice kind of turned heel in one of those "I am frustrated that I am losing" thing

Now why they would help the Elite makes no fucking sense to me 

Kind of seemed like a reset for them tonight, with them facing Fulton & Shera. The latter two are heels currently, yeah?

Unexpected but welcome development. Main event sounds insane with Kenny Omega in that kind of match with barbed wire, pizza cutter and thumbtacks. Reminded me of Ric Flair of all people using barbed wire and doing thumbtacks spots in 2006 with The Big Show and Mick Foley.

• Like 2

As far as I remember, FInJuice just disappeared after losing the tag titles to VBD in May so I don't think there was a turn. I had assumed they had just gone back to Japan again but doesn't seem they did.