DVDVR Message Board

Across the (WWE) Universe - SDL - 7/16/2021

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

(Looks at thread)

(Leaves)

Sorry. I know it's a bummer when you enjoy something and see a lot of people talking negative about the thing you enjoyed. But this is a discussion forum for everyone to express their opinions. I genuinely didn't like much about this show / WWE in general these days. I want to like it, and wish I have more positive to comment on. I will try and balance my last post with a few things I did like.

-I really love everything about Roman & The Usos right now. Their characters, their work, their aura. Everything about them is clicking.

-I also liked Big E's interaction with Heyman. I think what I enjoy most is authenticity. You can just feel when someone is letting their legitimate personality shine through. Big E comes off as genuine. Like you just know he goes around busting people's balls and cracking jokes exactly like he did with Heyman.

It's really telling with how they opened the show that a) they don't have a super babyface that would give them a nuclear opening pop and/or b) Vince is an egomaniac that wanted the return pop for himself.

So Finn has this great year+ long run in NXT, reinvents his character, and his long awaited return to the main roster he’s immediately doing the same fucking bullshit they had him doing when he left. 

Posing to his music, mid-card, Balor Club, smiles. Fuck that shit.

Otherwise decent show aside from Old Man Vince’s hilariously awful open. Because LOL pandemics, right? Put him in a fucking home already.

Edited by MKERyan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay, so what was the fucking Vince quote.

He opened the show by strutting to the stage, surveying the crowd, and barking "So where you been?" Then he walked off.  That was the whole bit.  I liked it personally.  At worst, it seemed inoffensive to me but some people are making a lot of it 'cause everything Vince-related is evil or something.

• Thanks 1

There was a story on the Fox debut show everyone wanted Vince to open the show except Vince. He did it begrudgingly. The way I view it is less as a slight to Vince and more that he probably didn't want to do this spot either but ended up being talked into it. So it was a half hearted not really feeling it performance. That's just my read on it. It was totally inoffensive as a bit. But as the first thing you do after the pandemic just a strange choice.

Infinit hit on it tho. They don't have a strong lead baby face to really open the show with a gigantic pop. So this was the call, huge Vince pop. Him kind of not giving a shit and doing a snarky joke. Just a little missed opportunity. Not at all reasonable to expect, but could you imagine a Rock or Cena or Austin doing the spot instead? Huge pop. Funny quip. Fans are excited. Maybe I'm jaded but who in the world is an over enough babyface for that spot? Maybe Becky. But I sense they have her return idea mapped out already.