DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/14/2021 - Fyter Fest Night One

This show was awesome. And that crowd was nuclear. Hot in the right ways too, actual cheering and booing and not just wall to wall smark chants where they amuse themselves. Man that was fun.

Really enjoyed the Moxley/Anderson opener, probably the most interesting Anderson match since he showed up. Then we got a fucking great Ricky Starks/Brian Cage match. Matt Hardy/Christian was good aside from a kind of wonky finish, probably the best Matt Hardy has looked in the ring in a while. The Sammy match was a fine modern not-quite-a-squash-but. The Penelope/Magic Girl match had some cool stuff too, and I am digging Penelope's Sindel-esque look. And the main event... I mean, Darby Allin's actually crazy. He's batshit. Most of the match felt like guys actually trying to hurt each other and not just "a wrestling match with a gimmick finish". Allin really has some of the best match structure in the company.

Pretty much all the promo segments on this show were fine or better as well.

Just a great 2 hours of fun wrestling nonsense.

• Like 7

Top to bottom just a fantastic show, probably the best one in a while in my opinion. Unreal main event, even Christian vs Hardy was pretty damn good. Mox/Anderson didn't ever really click but it was a pretty decent outing when you consider the time off, and I'm pumped for the Archer match. The Hangman/Kenny promo was great, I really love the direction they're going in

Edit 2: just to expand on the Hangman point, when Kenny said "You're afraid of failing in front of all these people" I legit felt that

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Yeah that was my understanding as well. Their work visas were obtained through WWE so there's an issue with them legally working elsewhere until they can get their immigration situation sorted out.

also, Purge 1 was April 15th, i.e. so as to ensure the 90 days would cover this particular "return to live crowds" episode of Dynamite.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I've been pretty wiped out the last few days so I'm not sure I'll have much to say after this show, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what fucked up spot Darby Alin comes up with involving a coffin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hot damn what a show! What a crowd! 

Just massive pop after massive pop. The wrestlers must have been loving that. I'd guess the crowd made every match feel 15-30 percent more awesome.

I got a wee bit of that NJPW style violence I was hoping for. Mox vs Archer Texas Death II? Yes, please!

Best Karl Anderson has looked in AEW. Same goes for Matt Hardy and Ethan Page, in my opinion. No surprise, I suppose, considering who they were in there with and how hot the crowd was. Everyone brought their A game tonight.

I loved the crowd cheering for Starks, and he deserves it... but I think (hope) that face Cage will be much better than heel Cage in time. He seems to be a likable guy.

Cody's white-suit promo came closest of anything to cooling off that crowd. Him vs Black could be great.

I love Dark Order running in with no video intro!

Nice job setting up Spears vs Jericho. It would be pretty funny if Jericho just lost the first trial.

Hardy and Christian have real ring chemistry.

D!

M!

D!

I got goosebumps, legit, over the crowd cheering on The Magical Girl. 

The crowd was so good, we didn't get a cliché chant until the very end, and it was well-earned. That last spot was insane.

Ethan Page is winning me over!

I liked how this arena looked on camera.

I enjoyed the hell out of everything tonight. That was great. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Ethan Page is fucking awesome.

I didn't see too much of him before he came to AEW so I was a bit skeptical at first, for two reasons: 1) I didn't see the sense at the time in separating Scorpio from SCU only to put him in another team and 2) I thought he was doing a bit of an MJF lite thing. But that dude brought it hard tonight, he should be in the TNT title picture down the line

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Gordberg said:

I loved the crowd cheering for Starks, and he deserves it... but I think (hope) that face Cage will be much better than heel Cage in time. He seems to be a likable guy.

Based on his Impact run, I feel inclined to brace you for the possibility that Cage is just the same guy regardless of alignment. Even with Lucha Underground's presentation really benefitting a lot of the peeps who worked there, Cage was never really a guy who got a lot of that rub. If he has a leap forward in some way, that would be welcome. But my take has always been that this is who Cage is and this is his level. 

I'll be curious to see if they try to link him up with a babyface manager. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The forthcoming hot tag to John Silver in the Elite vs Dark Order elimination match is going to be the hottest hot tag of all time 

When it’s just Page & Silver against like, 4 guys on the other team and Silver flash eliminates Gallows? Yeah. That’s gonna rule ass.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

When it’s just Page & Silver against like, 4 guys on the other team and Silver flash eliminates Gallows? Yeah. That’s gonna rule ass.

I can see Page get unfairly eliminated somehow, and one of the lowly members of the Dark Order getting the upset to become the hero.