DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/14/2021 - Fyter Fest Night One

The best bad take from a WWE-programmed fan I saw was the guy who said they didn't build the main event up enough, because it just came out of nowhere; That there was no angle to build to the match. When it was pointed out that they'd been building to it for months, he said "That's not how you do it, the angles to build the TV main event should happen earlier in the same show".

I'm pretty sure that AEW announcing matches a week (or more) before they happen is a pretty big factor in why the shows draw, but OK. If it's all you've ever known, you'll think it's only way to do it, I suppose.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2

Hey whatever works for Vince & Co. I just was never a fan of busting your nut for one episode of TV. Although to be fair, they do tend to repeat matches for several weeks until they have a “blow-off”(sort of), and you are sick of those guys being together on television. So it’s not like it’s one episode.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

The best bad take from a WWE-programmed fan I saw was the guy who said they didn't build the main event up enough, because it just came out of nowhere; That there was no angle to build to the match. When it was pointed out that they'd been building to it for months, he said "That's not how you do it, the angles to build the TV main event should happen earlier in the same show".

I'm pretty sure that AEW announcing matches a week (or more) before they happen is a pretty big factor in why the shows draw, but OK. If it's all you've ever known, you'll think it's only way to do it, I suppose.

AEW announcing the whole card a week (or more) in advance is one of the things I appreciate the most about them. Even as a kid I found it illogical how WWF/E would come up with the main event for the show during an opening promo or brawl. You mean Godfather vs. Viscera was the original scheduled main event?

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

I am so ready for a fan made video package set to My Way by Limp Bizkit.

"I need to beat you Kenny. I need it more than anything you could ever imagine. There can be only one All Elite Wrestling champion. And that will be, Kenny, Hangman Adam Page."

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Godfather vs Viscera could be a main event in any arena in the country!

Not "anywhere" , but it has to have been one "somewhere" , right?

Papa Shango vs Big Daddy V on the other hand...

Edited by Shartnado
How about this tho?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Not "anywhere" , but it has to have been one "somewhere" , right?

Papa Shango vs Big Daddy V on the other hand...

Reallllyyyy....

Over Kama Mustafa vs. Mabel?

28 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

"I need to beat you Kenny. I need it more than anything you could ever imagine. There can be only one All Elite Wrestling champion. And that will be, Kenny, Hangman Adam Page."

The sleeper great part of the Austin/Rock build to me is the cutaway to Austin’s locker room earlier in the WMXVII show where he is literally looking himself in the mirror (Austin knowing - but the fans not yet knowing - what he had agreed to do to win). No one ever talks about that, and it’s the sort of nuanced (for wrestling) thing that WWE hasn’t done in forever.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The sleeper great part of the Austin/Rock build to me is the cutaway to Austin’s locker room earlier in the WMXVII show where he is literally looking himself in the mirror (Austin knowing - but the fans not yet knowing - what he had agreed to do to win). No one ever talks about that, and it’s the sort of nuanced (for wrestling) thing that WWE hasn’t done in forever.

I noticed that when I saw it again a couple months ago.  Definitely not something that's brought up but it adds a very lovely touch to the video and story of the night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

That was one of the first things I thought of. Part of me wonders if we get some sort of bittersweet ending though. Maybe the Dark Order win the tag titles and they all think it's their night, only for Hangman to lose. Then again, that would be ultra shitty and AEW does things pretty much by the book so I can't see them doing that.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Someone on Reddit is actually working on a My Way video package for Hangman/Omega. They previously did one set to My Sacrifice by Creed for the feud.

Are you sure that wasn't the "Pandemic Recap" video?

It’s weird we all fondly remember in detail  the My Way and My Sacrifice video packages from 20 years ago, but can anyone name any another well remembered video from the past 5-10 years or so? (Apart from Daniel Bryan’s “Monster” one)?

Edited by eikerir

Just now, eikerir said:

It’s weird we all fondly remember in detail  the My Way and My Sacrifice video packages from 20 years ago, but can anyone name any another well remembered video from the past 5-10 years or so? (Apart from Daniel Bryan’s “Monster” one)?

These are the two most memorable, to me, in the last 5-10 years.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, eikerir said:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

It's a ten years and a few months old, but:

• Like 8

16 hours ago, AxB said:

I was involved in that convo, too. It boggles the mind. I especially enjoyed the rationale of "well, that's how LOST did it."

• Haha 1