DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/14/2021 - Fyter Fest Night One

Damn that show was a joy to watch.

- The whole show had an amazing presentation and look, the stage and arena just looked great and we didn’t get any missed camera shots. Just came off really professional and like a big deal. Almost looked like the video game Dynamite arena if that makes sense.

-  The crowd was SO HAPPY to see everyone and it made the whole event more enjoyable. Felt like some Attitude era level pops every time someone came out. Massive reactions for Darby, Sammy, Starks, Jungle Boy, Sting and the whole Page/Dark Order vs The Elite segment. The heat when Don Callis started speaking was nuclear too.

- Speaking of that segment, I am HYPED for this feud. The whole thing gave me strong flashbacks to the Yes Movement occupying Raw from 2014. Big thumbs up to everyone involved here, beautiful stuff.

- I loved seeing the crowd cheering Starks over Cage, we all know who the real star there is and it’s nice people appreciated this.

There were a ton of matches and segments tonight, like a ridiculous amount of stuff happened but everything flowed so well and nothing felt rushed, except maybe the Mox/Anderson match which felt a bit short. 

Overall one of my favourite Dynamites top to bottom in a long time, this should be the balance they should aim for every week IMO. 

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Anyway! My one complain about Ethan Page is that it's like he and Karrion Kross both went to the same place to learn facial expressions. It's just so fucking corny at times. The whole "I'M CRAAAAAAAAZYYYYY, I COULD DO ANYTHING!!!!" look is fucking dumb and unrealistic. Yes, those facial expressions are too unrealistic even in professional wrestling. The crazy and unhinged shtick just doesn't fit for Ethan. 

I usually hate this shtick, but weirdly I think it works for Page, precisely because it’s unrealistic. With The Bunny, for example, the ‘I’m craaazy’ thing is pretty much her whole character and it’s fucking dreadful and unrealistic. Now I’m probably giving him too much credit, but because Page’s character is primarily an arrogant douche, I take it more as him fronting. His character isn’t actually crazy intense, but he likes to think of himself as a bad ass and that’s how he thinks a badass would act. It kind of works as a nice contrast to Darby who comes across crazy and intense in an effortless sort of way.

• Like 5

I know comparing tv ratings from now to the 90’s is apples to oranges in so many ways, but beyond beating them in the demo AEW is far closer to WWE in total viewership right now than WCW was when Scott Hall’s denim showed up. Then it only took one angle and a matter of weeks to overtake Vince by the summer, and I dunno…I think AEW could realistically be a white hot and/or mainstream angle away from getting more viewers Raw.

One of these companies of a multi billion dollar global conglomerate with a day and time slot that’s been associated with wrestling for 30 years and the other is a two year old (billionaire angel invested) startup. That’s crazy to me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Isn’t Kevin Durant involved with helping renovate the Baltimore Arena? I doubt he wasn’t a wrestling fan growing up. See if he could team with Cody to take on Black & Shaq.

There was an article the other day I saw about KD loving the NWO.

EDIT: Here's the article

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/07/14/kevin-durant-nets-nwo-hulk-hogan-kevin-nash-scott-hall

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

There was an article the other day I saw about KD loving the NWO.

Of course he was. 

I hope Ricky takes it easy like Kenny, or practically everybody involved with the Inner Circle, and The Pinnacle from here on out. AEW has proven they can hold guys off tv wrestling for a very long time for some reason, or other. Neck problems are risky.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

56 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Of course he was. 

I hope Ricky takes it easy like Kenny, or practically everybody involved with the Inner Circle, and The Pinnacle from here on out. AEW has proven they can hold guys off tv wrestling for a very long time for some reason, or other. Neck problems are risky.

Good couple of points there. What was great about the last few weeks was the judicious use of rotation on/off the bench. From memory, Miro/Darby/Jungle Boy/Sting being held off from action shows just what the depth of talent is, and that there is some solid booking discipline, considering the pent-up buzz TK must feel on finally being a touring show in front of rabid fans again (although one-week build to a Texas Deathmatch is borderline hotshot blow-your-load stuff).

On the second point, one downer I have with Ricky is the use of the spear, particularly now with his neck problems, and the choice of the move for him in general.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I wonder how much this great rating will boost Darby's stock in the company. He's gotta be high on the list for next babyface to get a World title run after Hangman. 

Agreed. Darby's money, there's no way they don't eventually go with him down the line. Before we get there though, I think there's a possibility we'll see two things out of him first: being the one to eventually finally chop down Miro and become A 2x TNT champion, and Sting's eventual actual last match (babyface vs babyface, naturally).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Apparently Darby headlining is the common factor in 3 of the 4 >1m viewed Dynamites in 2021 to date, so the evidence is there. They must be as happy about the quarter-to-quarter trend ticking up the way it did too.

I know, ratings chat, damn lies and statistics. But doesn’t confirmation bias feel so darn great ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed. Darby's money, there's no way they don't eventually go with him down the line. Before we get there though, I think there's a possibility we'll see two things out of him first: being the one to eventually finally chop down Miro and become first 2x TNT champion

Spoiler

Cody-TNT.png

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Isn’t Kevin Durant involved with helping renovate the Baltimore Arena? I doubt he wasn’t a wrestling fan growing up. See if he could team with Cody to take on Black & Shaq.

I need this tag team to happen now.

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

"Belt Collec-tor! Belt Collec-tor!"

Made even better by the crowd considering it for half a second and then booing loudly.  "Could this chant actually be good? No. BOOOOOOOO"

• Haha 3