DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/14/2021 - Fyter Fest Night One

I think what AEW got the most from this episode was reassurance. Like I was afraid that running all these pandemic episodes would have stopped them from being able to produce television like this anymore. I’m glad to see Tony K & crew didn’t forget their blueprint. Now they just gotta somehow do the same thing they are doing, but make sure you do another Shaq match to grab people again. This time with crowds to show off to whatever they got to reach a wider wrestling audience.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think what AEW got the most from this episode was reassurance. Like I was afraid that running all these pandemic episodes would have stopped them from being able to produce television like this anymore. I’m glad to see Tony K & crew didn’t forget their blueprint. Now they just gotta somehow do the same thing they are doing, but make sure you do a another Shaq match to grab people again. This time with crowds to show off to whatever they got to reach a wider wrestling audience.

I don't know if it would be possible at all but maybe Amanda Nunez or Jorge Masvidal judging by last Wednesday's show? Ehh Dana probably wouldn't go for it so I doubt it.

Then again they did leave that door opened with Shaq ditching the ambulance and disappearing since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I thought he was fine in 2012 when NJPW gave him a singles push.  I thought his match with Tanahashi in the G1 that year was quite good and maybe the best singles match I've seen with Anderson.  He went over in the match, lost to Okada later that night in the finals, then had a short feud with Okada.

NJPW stuck him in a makeshift tag team with Goto later that year for the World Tag League tournament and he's basically been "just" a tag team guy with Gallows since.  He turned heel and joined Bullet Club shortly after & most of his singles matches since then either end in him jobbing to further an angle, or a dq to further an angle.

Adding to those Karl Anderson singles matches which I also second, Tanahashi vs. Anderson from The New Beginning 2013 for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Edited by The Natural

They say Shaq is still wandering around the wastelands of Jacksonville and there are rumors of him shambling near the Randy Macho Man Savage Non-International Airport.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They say Shaq is still wandering around the wastelands of Jacksonville and there are rumors of him shambling near the Randy Macho Man Savage Non-International Airport.

Based on the recent General Car Insurance commercials, his coworkers have encased him in concrete and left him stranded in the forest, so who knows what fate has befallen him.

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I don't know if it would be possible at all but maybe Amanda Nunez or Jorge Masvidal judging by last Wednesday's show? Ehh Dana probably wouldn't go for it so I doubt it.

Then again they did leave that door opened with Shaq ditching the ambulance and disappearing since.

I don't see either of them doing anything, but I saw another poster float the idea of them flanking Brock at some point and I thought that was a neat bit of fantasy booking. YMMV on the idea of bringing him in, but you can't say it wouldn't move the needle I suppose.

You know, when I saw his Evolve stuff and his Impact run I thought Ethan Page is the most white meat generic wrestler in the world.

The last few months in AEW he’s been great.  He’s leaving Scorpio behind at this rate.  

AEW has 3 of the best arrogant bastard heels at the moment in Starks, Page and MJF.  All 3 are fantastic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I could've sworn that Shaq said something either on NBA on TNT or on social media recently that he was doing something again with AEW this summer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What if Black caused Shaq’s disappearance?

Come on now.  We already have Page, Cage, Page, and Cage.  We don't need Shaq and Black, too.  Calling a six man of Page, Cage, and Black vs Cage, Page, and Shaq would make JR's head explode.  It would be like take  few shots and trying to read Fox in Socks.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Come on now.  We already have Page, Cage, Page, and Cage.  We don't need Shaq and Black, too.  Calling a six man of Page, Cage, and Black vs Cage, Page, and Shaq would make JR's head explode.  It would be like take  few shots and trying to read Fox in Socks.

I can’t wait to see PAC and Black face off…. Or team up… “Angry Euro Nihilists” seems a good team name for them.

Not enough Big Lebowski themed tag teams.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I couldn't resist!

Anyway! My one complain about Ethan Page is that it's like he and Karrion Kross both went to the same place to learn facial expressions. It's just so fucking corny at times. The whole "I'M CRAAAAAAAAZYYYYY, I COULD DO ANYTHING!!!!" look is fucking dumb and unrealistic. Yes, those facial expressions are too unrealistic even in professional wrestling. The crazy and unhinged shtick just doesn't fit for Ethan. I hate to say it, but he would be better off acting more like HHH than whatever the fuck he's doing now.

Other than that, I've really dug his AEW run so far and he's starting to stand out. I also agree with the thought that he's leaving Scorp in the dust. Poor Scorp. Dude nearly has all the tools, but can't figure out a way to stand out. Both him and Spears are stuck in the same wrestling purgatory where they're not bad, but the just can't elevate themselves and no amount of gimmicks is going to help. Then again, being a career tag guy isn't the worst thing in the world when you can't elevate yourself to the top of the card in singles action. Plus, I oddly like the Men of the Year theme music and tron video.

• Like 1

Dynamite Rating: 1.025 MILLION

Edit- Good fuckin show to break a million on too eh? Probably one of the best Dynamites ever and one of the best wrestling TV shows in how long?

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Holy fucking shit. Dynamite crushed the viewership and the demo while going up against the NBA Finals. Just over a million viewers and bigger demo than Raw. You'd imagine that everyone watching would be tempted to tune in the following week based on how insane that crowd was and how good the show was.

• Like 4

Although, it sucks for Penelope and Yuka. Their segment tanked from the looks of it. That's a shame because that was a decent little match to cool things down some to let the crowd go bananas during the main event.