DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 7/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

As far as the butler thing goes, I appreciate them trying to break the formula a little but, why even tease the hair cut with grimes and not either shave him or give him short hair.  Have knight get something additional over on him before grimes gets his payback.  As it is right now  it kind of plays out like this:

Also, too bad we didn't get jiro interactions or being the 3rd with breezango.

I legit thought Mandy was Peyton royce when she showed up on stage.  It felt like they were going to have franki steal the brand from stone , but it felt like aliyah was breaking up from jessi.  Also, let Jessi's finisher be the Kamehameha wave.

Yeah, I'll be here all night for Dunne/Lorcan vs Ciampa/Thatcher!

Hudson does remind me of a young Wade Barrett, just as Wade said. Also, if Eddie Dennis was somehow able to bulk himself up naturally to look like that, he might have a chance on the states-side brands as well.

Fish's comeback hasn't yielded much success, but it might give us a match between him and Strong, so that is something.

Xia Li vs Gonzalez is going to be something. Let's see Mei Ying try her magic smoke on Raquel, I doubt the smoke would even rise high enough to reach her face.

Kacy/Kayden challenging Io/Zoey would be one hell of a match if given enough time and everyone gets to let loose as much as they can. A proper face vs face title match.

It feels like Bobby Fish is on his last legs as a wrestler and is ready to move on to trainer or agent. He's 44 and has multiple major injuries the last few years. He got waxed by Pete Dunne in his return match and immediately decided he only wanted a piece of Lorcan, which I don't think ever came to pass. Now he's out there looking like an idiot losing to Tyler Rust and appears to be on pace for an even worse beating from Roddy. Just total jobber booking for him. If they had real plans for him, he would've showed up in big moment for KoR during the UE implodes angle (and not gotten told "thanks, but uh, don't talk to me anymore" afterwards) and at least found himself somewhere in the usual NA-title clusterfuck picture.

I remember driving out to bumfuck Missouri for one of Harley Race's shows in 2007 because Race somehow had the connections to get KENTA, Morishima and Marufuji to fly 6000 miles to work these shows in front of like 200 people, but outside of seeing those guys live and close, I remember Bobby Fish being one of the highlights of the show. He was hilarious interacting with the front rows and was the only American who didn't seem like a local yokel and actually had upward mobility in wrestling. It always made me happy when I'd see him as an indy superstar and especially getting big matches/angles in NXT.

Edited by Go2Sleep

On 7/14/2021 at 11:55 PM, Rev Ray said:

t felt like they were going to have franki steal the brand from stone , but it felt like aliyah was breaking up from jessi.  

There's talk Aliyah is being called up to Raw.  Which...?  I didn't expect her and Teagan Nox to get called up before Dakota Kai, Gonzalez, Shirai, Ember Moon, and a few others.  I really didn't expect Aliyah to get called up at all, given how little she's used on TV and what I've read about her work.  

Agree about Grimes.  Doing a vignette about cutting his hair and beard and then... trimming up his hair and beard slightly was underwhelming.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

There's talk Aliyah is being called up to Raw.  Which...?  I didn't expect her and Teagan Nox to get called up before Dakota Kai, Gonzalez, Shirai, Ember Moon, and a few others.  I really didn't expect Aliyah to get called up at all, given how little she's used on TV and what I've read about her work.  

Agree about Grimes.  Doing a vignette about cutting his hair and beard and then... trimming up his hair and beard slightly was underwhelming.

I don't see much success coming her (Aliah's) way, but she has worked hard, waited basically her best years and seen others pass her by. I hope she gets good money out of it and will not be released for many years to come. She deserves something for all this effort.

I think Aaliyah could work well on the main roster and it's not all due to her work.  Though to be fair she's gotten a lot better than she was before.  She's incredibly beautiful (easy, y'all, just making a general statement) works hard and is a team player for whatever they have her do.  While I hope she gets better in-ring I think with the right story/character she'll work out pretty well.  And if I had to choose between her or somebody like Io with little to no chance of them getting her right I may have Aaliyah go there instead.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Aliyah is better than people give her credit for. She isn't great or anything, but she is perfectly solid and works well at a mid tier level. The problem is more that WWE doesn't really treat their roster like that, and every woman has a chance to be wrestling for the big belt at any moment due to how few are on each brand. Aliyah is still better than say Alexa, Sonya, Liv, and Carmella were when they were moved up. She is also better than people like Dana, Tamina, and even Mandy. I think she will do ok as long as she finds an ok gimmick.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I'm not even going to compare abilities like that. I think it's much simpler. Mandy would voice when she didn't like something. So they swapped her place out for someone who doesn't ever complain. It's literally that simple. They care about quantity over quality on the main roster. Pump out content. Instead of a minor headache with Mandy not liking things sometimes, they just cleared the path to smooth sails with someone who won't rock the boat. I really do think that's the only actual thought that went into the decision.

So they just got Aliyah mega over and and primed for a push on NXT, only to move her to Raw where she'll have to establish herself all over again with worse writing? Hopefully she's at least getting a good payday.