DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 7/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Daddy Johnny becoming a two time NXT champ is something I'm here for.  

Samoa Joe choking out Kross and crowning himself a THREE-time NXT champ though....  ?

Out of Cross or Gargano as NXT Champion, I'd go with Gargano despite his excesses in match formula and he had such a short first reign as NXT Champion. Having said that, I'd rather have Finn Balor, Pete Dunne or Roderick Strong instead.

Edited by The Natural

I feel like the obvious booking is Criss gets tough with Joe, Joe gets physical with Kross, leading to Johnny winning the title and Kross-Joe at least being teased.  But…. Regal made it clear Joe keeps his job only as long as he doesn’t get physical with wrestlers unless they provoke him and get the first shot in.  You can get around it but it seems too early to devalue the gimmick by having Joe get that involved and get back in the ring.

Besides, Joe probably only has a limited number of matches left in him. Does anyone want to see him waste one of his last matches on Kross?

I'm wondering if Joe turns heel and it's revealed that Regal can't fire Joe, setting up a long-term Joe vs. Regal (non-wrestling) storyline rather than Joe-Kross.  Kross will most likely be on the roster next Monday since he's the only Kross/Cross now that Nikki is almost a superhero.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Samoa Joe choking out Kross and crowning himself a THREE-time NXT champ though....  ?

Don't give me a tease like that, especially when there is a good chance Joe is still rehabilitating from his last injury.

• Haha 1

Dakota/Ember was solid. Xia Li coming out to challenge kind of came out of nowhere. Surprised at how much the crowd was into it.

Kushida/Fish vs. Diamond Mine could be good. Was good seeing Fish so over on his own. He was the guy I was worried most about from UE going solo. 

Sarray/PK was decent. Mandy showing up was an interesting surprise. Wonder if she is moving to NXT. Would feel a bit sorry for Dana if that was the case though Mandy probably would be better off. She never get a real run before she was called up.

Lumis/Escobar was good fun. Hit Row vs. Legado Del Fantasma should be interesting. Feels just a bit early and I kind of wish Legado were at least tag champs going in. 

Love the continuation of the Lumis/Indi drama. The pop when Indi carried Lumis for those brief moments was big. Honestly, I kind of think they should have saved that for a Takeover.

Jiro/Duke was a nice showcase for both guys. Wish Jiro won. 

Kacy/Kayden vs. Aliyah/Kamea was decent. they turned Aliyah into a pretty damn big babyface with the ass whooping she gave Stone. Kind of surprised Frankie is joining/taking over the brand. Figured she would just pull Aliyah and Jessi away from Stone.

Going to enjoy Ciampa/Thatcher vs. Dunne/Oney. Dunne got greedy wanting to be the biggest bad ass and best technical wrestler when Ciampa and Thatcher are still around.

Grimes first day as Knight's butler was fun.

Kross/Johnny was about what I expected. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Not fond of Kross still being champ, but if its leading to him getting choked out by Joe for the belt then I have few complaints.

Edited by Eivion

42 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Counterpoint:  No more Horny Corey Graves. 

Thank goodness for small miracles.  It was cringeworthy when they were on Raw especially with his girlfriend being on the show.  But I have a feeling that while I haven't seen Raw in months he'll be doing that with Eva Marie if he hasn't done so already.

But as for Mandy I hope she doesn't see it as a demotion.  It'll be interesting to see how she fares in NXT and there's some interesting matchups that await her.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But as for Mandy I hope she doesn't see it as a demotion.  It'll be interesting to see how she fares in NXT and there's some interesting matchups that await her.

I'm wondering if Mandy wanted to be sent to NXT - or was at least agreeable.  Meltzer occasionally mentions that Mandy doesn't like her character or how she's being used by the company and is bored and frustrated as a result (seems to be a typical case of wrestler wanting to do more and being pigeonholed by Vince).  Honestly, I would send Dana to NXT before Mandy except that, well, I actually watch NXT from time to time and Mandy & Dana for Shotzi, Toni, and Nox (lol) isn't a good trade.

Curious about where the Joe angle goes from here.  Didn't expect them to nuke the enforcer angle and tease Joe going back to the ring already.  The assumption seems to be that Joe is too broken down to get back in the ring regularly and, as a result, didn't draw much interest (or big money offers) when Vince released him.  Maybe that's not the case.  I was guessing Joe really does only have a few matches left in him and they'd milk the Regal's muscle angle for awhile.   

• Like 1

I don't listen to the shows so wasn't aware of what Meltzer said.  But if that's the case then hopefully this is the change she wanted.  And I have a hard time believing there wasn't much interest in Joe even for a few big matches.  But hey, maybe at this stage in his career this might be best for him as it sure beats commentary.

On the other hand, the track record for demoted main roster people to NXT isn't very great.  Only Finn, (who should be back on the main roster sooner than later) Ember and Drake have survived. 

Edited by nofuture

For the most part I don't think they demote people back to NXT, so if someone goes back there its probably because they wanted to or HHH wanted them. I think going back to NXT is actually good for Mandy. She will will get better chances to develop and showcase here than on the main roster.

The real issue is that this kind of goes back the whole thing that brought the Give Divas a chance thing to forefront when the Bellas mentioned not really seeing why any woman from NXT would want to move up with how well they are used compared to the main roster. Its a problem that still persist even if its nowhere near as bad as it was back then.

• Like 2

The only thing bad about Mandy Rose going to NXT right now is a possible Dana Brooke singles run on RAW.  Yikes

Apparently according to Twitter, more than a few fans left before the main event.   Apparently Kross is getting the MSK treatment with the fans which if true that is 2 champions the Full Sail/CWC fans aren't interested in

Hit Row/LDF is an obvious money feud, but Thatcher/Ciampa vs. Dunne/Lorcan is the tag team feud I never knew I needed.

Very pleasantly surprised by Aaliyah's big pop for her turn. I always felt like she had star potential, but kept getting passed by the waves of top-level outside talent NXT has been steadily bringing in the last few years.

Kross/Gargano was a good tv main. DIdn't go too crazy and Kross looked much more like a championship level force than he has recently.