DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Bottom Half

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Boy the Cards sure are winning a lot of games in a row to have the privilege of losing to the Dodgers in the Wild Card game

underestimate Cardinals Satan Magic at your peril.

I half expect them to eliminate both the Giants and Dodgers in 5 games combined at this point

• Like 3

Brewers setup man Devin Williams got a little too drunk after the Brewers clinched Sunday and punched a wall, breaking his hand.  Expected to miss all of postseason.  

This is probably one of those things that makes being GM of a professional sports team less fulfilling than you would expect.

• Haha 2

I think I am one of but a couple or three LAD fans here, but they had a motherfucker of a comeback W tonight. Down 9-5 in the 8th, they hit 4 HR B8 to take the lead. Even that Mendoza Line motherfucker Cody Bellinger got his licks in!! Gavin Lux may have sacrificed himself for this win tonight, as he crashed into the LCF wall and had to leave the game, forcing Bellinger into the lineup.

And T9, Jansen looked mean as fuck. I have zero complaints about these boys. I'd love to see them sitting on top, but tip your hat to those rat bastards SFG. They've been great all year. Fucking fun divisional race, and so fun to watch SD underachieve. 

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

I got tickets for Sunday's game...praying that its going to matter. 

I think because of the results of yesterday's games (Boston, Toronto and Seattle all won. NYY lost) - it is virtually impossible for Sunday to not matter for everyone. (Seattle is off today so that 1/2 game they have will disappear - just depends on the direction).

In fact - if Toronto wins and Boston loses tonight - the Yanks will still have a 1 game lead for WC1 while the other 3 teams will be tied for WC2

It is also looking fairly certain that a 90 win team in the AL won't make the playoffs while the NL will have two teams under 90 wins

• Like 1

MLB has an article on what all the scenarios are

https://www.mlb.com/news/american-league-wild-card-tiebreakers-explained

The basic version

FOUR-WAY TIE FOR TWO WILD CARD SPOTS: Yankees go 0-3; Red Sox go 2-1, Mariners go 2-1, Blue Jays go 3-0

THREE-WAY TIE FOR TWO WILD CARD SPOTS: Example: Yankees go 1-2; Red Sox go 3-0; Mariners go 3-0; Blue Jays go 3-0 (there are other ways to get to a 3 way tie)

THREE-WAY TIE FOR 2ND WILD CARD SPOT: Example: Yankees go 2-1; Red Sox go 2-1; Mariners go 2-1; Blue Jays go 3-0 (in any scenario where the Yanks win 2 games - they lock up the #1 WC)

TWO-WAY TIE FOR 1ST WILD CARD SPOT: Example: Yankees go 1-2; Red Sox go 3-0; Mariners go 2-1; Blue Jays go 3-0 (Yanks and Boston would be the 2 WC card teams)

TWO-WAY TIE FOR 2ND WILD CARD SPOT: Example: Yankees go 2-1; Red Sox go 2-1; Mariners go 2-1; Blue Jays go 2-1 (Sox and Mariners would play tiebreaker for 2nd WC)

NO TIES: Example: Yankees go 2-1; Mariners go 3-0; Red Sox go 2-1; Blue Jays go 2-1 (same thing happens if Sox go 3-0 and Ms go 2-1)

This is a really long way of saying if the Jays don't sweep the Os, they are fucked (and they can still be boned even if they do sweep)

Well since the Yanks are assured of at least playing a tiebreaker - they are rolling the dice and starting Jameson Taillon, who they claim was healthy. It basically is a bullpen game anyway as that was what they were originally gonna do (with Luis Severino starting it)

Either way - they are praying for a win so they can start Gerrit Cole in the WC instead of the tiebreaker.

I have seen a couple of places note that it benefits Tampa - for teams to have to play as many tiebreaker/WC games as possible so they should be going hard to fuck up the Yanks season

Red Sox aren't fucking around - they are starting Chris Sale (it was his scheduled start day).

Jays are starting Hyun Jin Ryu who, frankly, hasn't been good recently

Meanwhile - it what I am sure will continue to be a thing - LAA announced they were not going to start Ohtani today, they are starting something called Reid Detmers who I was positive was a storm chaser so Seattle ain't complaining