DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Bottom Half

Dolfan in NYC

The Trolleydodgers revealed their City Connect uniform last weekend.  I don't know how, but they've so perfectly landed on "Meh", it's amazing:

r897620_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

The RADICAL REDESIGN~ according to the description is the sleeves -- which you can barely see -- are "spray painted" to pay homage to the LA street art scene.  Oh, plus they added a Spanish word because Mexicans?  

Just blah. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Trolleydodgers revealed their City Connect uniform last weekend.  I don't know how, but they've so perfectly landed on "Meh", it's amazing:

The RADICAL REDESIGN~ according to the description is the sleeves -- which you can barely see -- are "spray painted" to pay homage to the LA street art scene.  Oh, plus they added a Spanish word because Mexicans?  

Just blah. 

The local Latinx fanbase is rightly pretty upset that they put "Los Dodgers" instead of "Los Doyers" which is the actual local nickname for the team. The team even has a trademark on Los Doyers, which makes it more perplexing that it wasn't used.

From a Defector article about the jerseys:

Lon Rosen, Dodgers Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, told the Pasadena Star-News back in 2013 that the team embraces “the cultural significance of the term ‘Doyers’ used throughout Los Angeles and even by our own players,” calling it “part of the club’s identity.” But now that the team is rolling out an alternate uniform in a stunt meant to juice Nike’s apparel sales, the best they can do to gesture at their Latino fanbase is cram the word “Los” in there.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:40 AM, RIPPA said:

Two "cheating" related notes from last night

1) Arizona's Caleb Smith was ejected after "suspicious spots" were found on his glove. 

It's now official, Smith has been given a 10 game suspension for cheating. 

3 hours ago, elizium said:

The local Latinx fanbase is rightly pretty upset that they put "Los Dodgers" instead of "Los Doyers" which is the actual local nickname for the team. The team even has a trademark on Los Doyers, which makes it more perplexing that it wasn't used.

This is literally the design *I* would come up with - if I was given 15 minutes and didn't bother to look into whether they use a different word instead of Dodgers (since I didn't know before now).

TL;DR - the epitome of lazy.

• Like 1

With their loss last night, Baltimore is on a 19-game losing streak.  

This is the longest streak since '05.  They are two away from the AL record.  They are 4 away from the MLB record.  

They play two more against LA of Anaheim, and if they lose those two, they get 4 against... Tampa Bay.  ?

On the flip side, the Yankees won their 11th straight last night. First time they've pulled that feat since their monstrous 1985 team, which went 97-64 and finished two games behind Toronto in the pre-wildcard years.

Yadier Molina signed a one year extension with the Cards and then announced that next year will be his final season

There is a chance Molina will end up 2nd all time on most games played at catcher

He ain't reaching Pudge but Carlton Fisk has 2226 and Bob Boone has 2225 - Molina will be slightly past 2100 when the season ends

3 hours ago, Pete said:

On the flip side, the Yankees won their 11th straight last night. First time they've pulled that feat since their monstrous 1985 team, which went 97-64 and finished two games behind Toronto in the pre-wildcard years.

the Yankees need to start losing, and quick. I don't want my D-Rays out of first place.

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I just looked it up he got the name because of his chunkiness as a youth. 

He was given the nickname by a Rangers coach.  He got it his first day of training camp.  He says it's not because of his size and nothing to do with Fisk but there's a better than zero chance that the Rangers coach had heard Fisk's nickname and at least had it in the back of his mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Baltimore 10, LA 6

To bad you couldn't have found a bigger picture for that

From the baseball is a funny game department: Ohtani's line: 5 IP, 4 ER, 3 HRs alllowed while going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts

• Like 1

And the Dodgers/Padres game was just another example in the long line of reasons the NL needs the DH

16 innings, 5 hours and 49 minutes (by far the longest game since the automatic runner in extras has been used)

The Dodgers issued EIGHT intentional walks which is the most ever since that stat has been tracked (started in 1955)

There was also an intentional balk... yes with a B

Not to mention the Padres going 10 fucking innings without a hit

• Sad 1

On 8/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Hail Sabin said:

I just looked it up he got the name because of his chunkiness as a youth. 

Everyone on the planet nicknamed "Pudge" got their nickname because they were a chubby kid.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Gonzo said:

Lets anyone thought it was just Bobby Bonilla, this thread got RT'd on my feed this morning and shows all of the players that are getting deferred pay.

The highlight, IMO, is that the Braves made their final payment to Bruce Sutter this year. Bruce Sutter is now 68 years old.

I've had my Bruce Sutter glove for 40 years.

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

The goddamn Blue Jays are finding a lot of goddamn creative ways to lose ???

So are the Scrub Cubs. They score 6 runs in the top of the first vs the White Sox, then give up 13 unanswered runs. 1 in the 1st, 8 in the 3rd, 4 in the 5th. 

God this team is fucking awful.