DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 31.

The Natural

Read @alstein's AEW Dynamite post that Minoru Suzuki isn't in the G1 Climax either. Copied my post over to here as well: 

G1 Climax 31 is looking grim with no Minoru Suzuki, Jay White, Juice Robinson, David Finlay and Will Ospreay who I've never liked. Do some Jr. Heavyweights come in? The forbidden door is open so AEW? IMPACT possibly?

Edited by The Natural

There won't be any AEW or Impact I don't think, unless something changed, Japan isn't issuing new work visas at the moment so only guys who already have visas (I.e. Cobb, Owens, Eagles) can go to Japan.

I guess the gaps will be filled with juniors and veterans. Kojima and Nagata would be fine, but there's no way Makabe, Tenzan or Honma could handle the schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horangi said:

There won't be any AEW or Impact I don't think, unless something changed, Japan isn't issuing new work visas at the moment so only guys who already have visas (I.e. Cobb, Owens, Eagles) can go to Japan.

I guess the gaps will be filled with juniors and veterans. Kojima and Nagata would be fine, but there's no way Makabe, Tenzan or Honma could handle the schedule.

What if there's another outbreak?

7 hours ago, Horangi said:

I think that if we are counting in Chase and Khan then they need only 2 more guys. So can easily do without juniors or add someone like Desperado if they feel like doing it.

I'm guessing Henare, Khan and Owens are in. If it weren't for BOTSJ in December I'd say put in the Jr champion. They'd be better served moving Hiromu to G1 in the short term but they seem to have a match with Desperado planned. I expect Despy to win BOTSJ and challenge Hiromu, who'll beat Eagles before then, on 1/4. No other interesting options sadly. Unless they can get a Daniel Bryan type/Big name, who in theory could have a visa from working WWE/Japan, then it'll have to be a veteran. I imagine that would turn off casual fans but it can't be helped. 

If they hadn't already booked out the venues I'd be fine with them making this years G1 a straight tournament instead of a round robin, it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. And who knows what will happen if there is a COVID infection or even exposure within one of the blocks. 

Aaron Henare is probably out due to a lingering neck injury. This G1 might be rough if they don't put some jrs in. You're looking at guys like Yujiro, Makabe, Tenzan, etc having to pick up the slack for Jay White, Will Ospreay, and Juice Robinson.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Aaron Henare is probably out due to a lingering neck injury. This G1 might be rough if they don't put some jrs in. You're looking at guys like Yujiro, Makabe, Tenzan, etc having to pick up the slack for Jay White, Will Ospreay, and Juice Robinson.

This. Nobody wants to see Yujiro in multiple matches.

6 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Only if he is going to the Finals. Which he should. I'd love to see him vs Ishii, Tanahashi, Okada, pretty much anyone. Him mauling Yujiro would even be entertaining. 

Yeah, bring in Kento to go all the way to the finals, and Zeus for a respectable showing. Pay AJ back by having LIJ challenge for the tag titles on a big All Japan card or something.

• Like 1

When Jado booked the Suzuki Gun invasion of NOAH from 2015-2016, some think Jado/NJPW were trying to kill NOAH and buy it for cheap. It's also likely that it's just bad booking from Jado, it goes way too long and no one looks good coming out of it. Lots of awful interference in every match. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 2:13 PM, Spontaneous said:

Welcome to half of their cards in 2021. Most of Bullet Club is awful. 

Perhaps, but their ankles don't bend sideways simply walking to the ring.

• Like 1

I think Tenzan's body has the consistency of Gumby at this point but I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to do one last G1.

NJPW wouldn't do it, the buildings are booked anyways, but they could do what NOAH did to get Muto into N1 and do 4 smaller blocks. I don't think they should but if they get desperate it is an option. 

11 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

When Jado booked the Suzuki Gun invasion of NOAH from 2015-2016, some think Jado/NJPW were trying to kill NOAH and buy it for cheap. It's also likely that it's just bad booking from Jado, it goes way too long and no one looks good coming out of it. Lots of awful interference in every match. 

I'd rather have that NOAH back than Mutoh NOAH.

• Sad 1