DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/7/2021

Aaron Solow could be a fun wrestler to watch, and I think he is, but a) being saddled with the Factory shit and associated with Cody sucks and b) they already have a huge roster of fun to watch wrestlers, so he doesn’t stand out. They always need jobbers, though.

The indie scene might be really, really hot for the next year. It is going to make people who have had pandemic TV and Youtube exposure some amount of money. Send your "maybe" wrestlers out into the field while you make room on the roster for all the balls WWE dropped. If Nick Comoroto and the unsigned Dark jobbers put it all together, let them fly back to you.

• Like 3

Here's the schmuck who tried to get into the ring. Quick thinking by Justin Roberts.

I enjoyed the debut for Malakai. Just don't have him job to Cody in every major match. Cody is starting to become like AEW's Jeff Jarrett.

Also good debut for Andrade. Really enjoyed the Black Mask entrance attire. Match did what it needed to do. That said, I don't think Vickie Guerrero really enhances his act. 

2 hours ago, Gorman said:

If Britt's the only one who does that, I'm okay with it. It could just be something she does.

Back in Steel City Wrestling, Reckless Youth would use "inside wrestling lingo" on the microphone like he didn't know he wasn't supposed to do it.

"Brother, that got over like a fart in church!"

Reminds of one really shitty Nitro where Bischoff yelled at Sid something like "You're not so brave without scissors" and was met with silence so added "I SAID, SCISSORS"

Because the average fan probably knew happened....

Two weeks in a row of good promo stuff from Uno. For a minute it felt like the storyline was becoming Silver, Reynolds, Angels, and Pres10 were really living up to what Brodie saw in them and as much as I like them as this goofy moral support system for Hangman I kind of wish we'd more of them on the main show. Hopefully with Rampage the roster won't feel as... I don't know, squeezed might be the best word?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If this is the best they've got, I guess I'm going to start taking people's concerns about the long-term health of wrestling seriously. I didn't realize things had gotten this bad. Thanks for giving it to me straight. 

Giving you credit for being a serious poster and not a troll/shitstirrer, I'm honestly not sure if modern wrestling (at least AEW) is for you. That does not mean that modern wrestling is not very healthy outside of WWE (and New Japan is a bit stagnant, and likely needs AEW more than AEW needs it about now). AEW has a strong product that is already making money on its main wrestling investment (and the big investment in AEW gaming seems like a solid long-term move, even though I'll freely admit to not being up on the modern gaming scene). AEW has been successful because it does a good job of giving its hardcore fans like myself what they want most of the time. While I'd love for AEW to eventually get 2 or 3 million viewers a week, it should not be chased in lieu of the strong base that shows up to events and buys PPV's (and basically loves the product). That is the mistake that TNA made, chasing big growth and big names and not organically growing with their popular home-grown guys and having a strong foundation of long-term storytelling in place. 

For the show itself, enjoyed most of it (favorites matches were the six-man and the main), but agree that Andrade's match with Sydal did not quite click (and his modified finisher does not look great, especially since his finisher was awesome during his NXT run). However, agree that this will be a blip, as everything save the match showcased Andrade as a big star. Also, while I'd read about Malakai Black Instagram, agree that his debut was not handled smoothly (at least at the announce desk, actually loved in-ring presentation). That being said, super happy to have him in AEW, and also think that the fans will side with him versus Cody (and I'm one of Cody's biggest fans here, but he's not getting cheered against Malakai Black/Tommy End). This should be a good vehicle to start and maybe even cement the Cody heel turn. Rare AEW show where the out of the ring action far surpassed the in-ring action (though American Top Team bit dragged a touch, and could have been done just as well in about half the time).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

Giving you credit for being a serious poster and not a troll/shitstirrer, I'm honestly not sure if modern wrestling (at least AEW) is for you. That does not mean that modern wrestling is not very healthy outside of WWE (and New Japan is a bit stagnant, and likely needs AEW more than AEW needs it about now). AEW has a strong product that is already making money on its main wrestling investment (and the big investment in AEW gaming seems like a solid long-term move, even though I'll freely admit to not being up on the modern gaming scene). AEW has been successful because it does a good job of giving its hardcore fans like myself what they want most of the time. While I'd love for AEW to eventually get 2 or 3 million viewers a week, it should not be chased in lieu of the strong base that shows up to events and buys PPV's (and basically loves the product). That is the mistake that TNA made, chasing big growth and big names and not organically growing with their popular home-grown guys and having a strong foundation of long-term storytelling in place. 

Thank you for at least crediting me with not being a troll. I appreciate the good-faith engagement. 

I've addressed this a few times on here recently, but I continue to feel people have consistently misunderstood the mismanagement that led to TNA's shortcomings. Chasing growth and big names was never its problem (and is in fact commendable), and I'm undeterred in the belief that "organic" growth with "home grown" talent is one of the most overrated concepts people apply to mainstream wrestling. I'm tired of going over these particular points, but featuring a Sting or a Hogan or a Hardy or an Angle or even an Anderson/Kennedy doesn't scratch the surface of what brought that company low. 

I sometimes wonder how scared people are of this company growing, because it would necessitate their niche preferences growing less relevant. But that's a tangent for another time. 

Regarding the post of mine you quoted, I bristle at the notion that this is either THE money feud or worth of any of the preciousness it was treated with in the COVID era. To my eye, it's the worst possible result of internet wrestling culture begging for "relatability" only to glom onto it in a top babyface who's an unreliable drunk who's too anxious to consistently maintain eye-contact, which really speaks ill of what's left of wrestling fandom. And that's before we get into the weird parasocial relationships so many fans seem to be in with their favourite wrestlers. That this is THE money feud is an absurd concept in a promotion where Moxley has yet to lay eyes on either Cody Rhodes or Hangman Page. But I guess this has been "overarching" for five or six years, so that makes it good.

But those are just thoughts on a specific garbage story. I see plenty of value in modern wrestling and AEW. Don't worry about me. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised they haven't ran Omega vs Christian before going to the Page feud. Even if the outcome wouldn't be in doubt, Christian would be the biggest name (well, maybe not bigger than Mox) for Omega to face and it would probably draw way more eyes on it than any of the other AEW title defences. They seemed to be setting it up a few times with interactions between them but it's been dropped.

• Like 1

Was Andrade going for his Hammerlock DDT finisher from WWE?

Was it turned into a Hammerlock Flatliner as there was a miscommunication?

Is the Hammerlock Flatliner Andrade's new finish?

Edited by The Natural

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:
Also good debut for Andrade. Really enjoyed the Black Mask entrance attire. Match did what it needed to do. That said, I don't think Vickie Guerrero really enhances his act. 

The story they seem to going for is ex-legends ruthless wife giving new-legend a leg up; almost like a mobster’s widow getting back in the game. Unfortunately Vickie Guerrero has been framed as such a comedy act for so long it is a completely nonsensical presentation, and does nothing for Andrade. They should pair him with someone else.

• Thanks 1

I know he probably doesn't care but someone has to tell Kenny Omega that with the goofy facial hair he is basically a 5 inches taller version of Austin Aries.  Not sure that is the image you want to resemble at this point

17 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

Well, he's a heel champion and he wants people to universally dislike him... so Austin Aries might just be what he's going for.

Who?

The Andrade debut is being discussed in some circles like a big failure.  As somebody kinda new to his act I was pleased with that debut.  Had Sydal not cut off his Frog Splash attempt I think ppl might be talking differently.  The idea that this match or this debut was somehow bad or needed to be something huge is silly.  Plenty of time to shine.  

And I dig Vickie in this act.  Tho, I think it might be best as a temporary position, like Heenan eventually passing Flair over to Perfect.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I am not linking to it because I am not giving the attention he is clearly going for but..

Regarding the turd who jumped in the ring.

He has a Twitter account and he is claiming he did he "for the real wrestling fans" and for Jim Cornette (while also tagging Cornette in all his tweets)

Also saying he will keep doing it

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not linking to it because I am not giving the attention he is clearly going for but..

Regarding the turd who jumped in the ring.

He has a Twitter account and he is claiming he did he "for the real wrestling fans" and for Jim Cornette (while also tagging Cornette in all his tweets)

Also saying he will keep doing it

Speaking of weird parasocial relationships, just checked the twitters and Brian has already told him off. 

I couldn't care less about his Twitter but wonder if it's Brian Cage you're speaking of.  And I would also think that at some point he can be arrested or banned especially since he's calling his shot online.