DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/7/2021

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh lord, one realization I had about Cody feuding with Tommy End...since he successfully defended from MURICA Ogogo's English tyranny, will Cody now cut a fired-up babyface promo against the Dutch?

E2wPv9-XMAQ4Jqz?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh lord, one realization I had about Cody feuding with Tommy End...since he successfully defended from MURICA Ogogo's English tyranny, will Cody now cut a fired-up babyface promo against the Dutch?

OIP.y-r96fbV76Eef4MTC01IEAHaEK?pid=ImgDe

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hope this Page-Omega stuff is over soon. They've had their fun pandering to the BTE crowd (and based on Ex's intro of Black, this stuff is only for the people who see everything), but ideally we're in the endgame. None of this was worth waiting for.

Not to say you're the only one with that opinion but that's a take I didn't expect to see regarding Hangman/Omega.  With this story you need the crowd to feed off of and even with a percentage that they had at Jacksonville it was either roll ahead or cool and heat him up when it's time.  So while it might be as essential to keep the story moving I appreciated the building blocks that were in place on the BTE shows.

I will also say that at least for me all this was well worth the wait.  Not sure who challenges at Fight for the Fallen but after that it's a fast track to the finish at All Out.  BTE or no BTE it's going to be a fun couple months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Right, I almost forgot to mention for the love of fuck can we please stop with on-air bagging on the other company?  I know on podcast interviews they would refer to the other company which is fine.  But between Kingston's post show promo on Dynamite and especially Britt's Saudi line it's getting ridiculous.  I'm of the belief that the biggest insult one can make is to prove how great you are instead of saying.  And with NXT not even on the same night anymore there's just no need for stuff like that.  So unless it was a hit live and didn't come across that way I consider that line a fail.

-That's not how the world works. Controversy creates cash. Drama / conflict sell. Wrestling is a work but fans desperately want to suspend their disbelief and feel something real. Well taking shots at the other guys is real. So it's always going to evoke an oh shit reaction. Remember that time Sami Zayn said AEW on a Raw and the crowd lost it? So I loved Britt's shot. Get that oh shit pop. Get that edgy feel. Don't treat WWE with kid gloves just because.

-Overall this episode was mostly a misfire for me. Cody vs QT did not need 15 minutes.

-The America Top Team guy segment is my least favorite segment in company history. While I get it was a parody of Corny, if he's the heel then make sure he doesn't name drop guys that will make the crowd pop. Who wants to boo Harley Race or especially Terry Funk after the news this week??? Just a stupid fucking segment. The fans watching at home not privy to the Cornette stuff might be like yeah ya know what this guy is right AEW does kind of suck. Why plant that seed? Just so fucking dumb to do.

-Andrade's debut was just so blah. Why is there a random man servant with him? Why is Vikki with him? Why can't he be this deadly mob boss character and not muddy shit up with Vikki? He went from being presented with a smoking hot latin woman in WWE to being presend with Vikki... just because? The match was clunky and his finish sucks. Love Andrade and do think he'll work the kinks out. But why do you debut him going 50/50 with Sydal for 10 minutes? Let him murder Dante Martin and look like a badass in 5 minutes. Sometimes people are too inside and think a good performance or a good match is just as good as looking dominant in a squash. There's a time and place for both but a debut is not that time to try and 50/50 a guy.

-Loved Black debuting here because I didn't know about the no compete issue and didn't see it coming. I didn't have a problem with Excalibur's sell of it. It's a weekly progression thing. Next week you show some of that Instagram video and it fills in the story. You don't have to fully flesh everything out upon the first sight of a guy. Have some patience. Great sumarization of the character :

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The gist is that Tommy End was caged and institutionalized for so long that Malakai Black was born and now that character is unchained and free. 

-My TNT feed got stuck on a Nuegenics commercial and didn't join the Jericho segment until the fan was punched. I was so very confussed. Wonder if it was only the DirecTV feed of TNT or what, because missing out on that sing along for the first time on the road is something I'm sure AEW would be pissed about.

-Lastly out of 5 matches, 4 went to picture in picture commercials during the match. Why format your show like this? Just don't get it. Format it to have no more than 2 matches with commercials. Pretty annoying when a wrestling show has 80% of it's wrestling matches shown incomplete. Maybe that's a weird gripe that is a me thing? Idk.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not to say you're the only one with that opinion but that's a take I didn't expect to see regarding Hangman/Omega.  With this story you need the crowd to feed off of and even with a percentage that they had at Jacksonville it was either roll ahead or cool and heat him up when it's time. 

Considering everything else they rolled ahead on in Jacksonville, I continue to not understand why they were precious about this. It'd have been nice if there was a proper crowd to feed off for FTR-Bucks or the formation of the Pinnacle or Omega's title change or the barbed wire match or (if you're the kind of person who enjoys such things) OC's push vs Jericho, but they made due. I don't get why it was so important to wait on this, and I doubt I ever will. 

But they were always going to get some reaction since people have been starved for entertainment and they'll (hopefully) be closing this out in front of an easy crowd in Chicago, so they'll get away with this largely unscathed. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

53 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

“The Dutch are nothing but German’s with wooden Crocs!”

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

"The Dutch are scum. I think you know it."

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Considering everything else they rolled ahead on in Jacksonville, I continue to not understand why they were precious about this. It'd have been nice if there was a proper crowd to feed off for FTR-Bucks or the formation of the Pinnacle or Omega's title change or the barbed wire match or (if you're the kind of person who enjoys such things) OC's push vs Jericho, but they made due. I don't get why it was so important to wait on this, and I doubt I ever will. 

But they were always going to get some reaction since people have been starved for entertainment and they'll (hopefully) be closing this out in front of an easy crowd in Chicago, so they'll get away with this largely unscathed. 

Because it's a THE money feud? Why would you burn an almost five/six year overarching storyline on an empty arena?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

-That's not how the world works. Controversy creates cash. Drama / conflict sell. Wrestling is a work but fans desperately want to suspend their disbelief and feel something real. Well taking shots at the other guys is real. So it's always going to evoke an oh shit reaction. Remember that time Sami Zayn said AEW on a Raw and the crowd lost it? So I loved Britt's shot. Get that oh shit pop. Get that edgy feel. Don't treat WWE with kid gloves just because.

Fair enough.  I still feel it was unnecessary especially since Britt doesn't need that at all.  She could find edgy things to say for those in-house and done right would get the same or better effect.  But if she's going to be the one to say it at least find something better to rip them on than Saudi Arabia.  Lord knows they have tons of things they can use to comment on.

27 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Fair point but for as great as the other feuds are this is their top priority.  And like Krone just said it's their money feud so it has to end with a full crowd.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

5 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Because it's a THE money feud? 

If this is the best they've got, I guess I'm going to start taking people's concerns about the long-term health of wrestling seriously. I didn't realize things had gotten this bad. Thanks for giving it to me straight. 

57 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not to say you're the only one with that opinion but that's a take I didn't expect to see regarding Hangman/Omega.  With this story you need the crowd to feed off of and even with a percentage that they had at Jacksonville it was either roll ahead or cool and heat him up when it's time.  So while it might be as essential to keep the story moving I appreciated the building blocks that were in place on the BTE shows.

I will also say that at least for me all this was well worth the wait.  Not sure who challenges at Fight for the Fallen but after that it's a fast track to the finish at All Out.  BTE or no BTE it's going to be a fun couple months.

Also Hangman's going to need paternity time himself in about 6-7 mos.  If he wins the belt in a couple of months, he gets to defend it a couple of times before giving it up.  He really shouldn't hold onto it too long.

The ATT stuff should lead to a feud with Archer to give him something to do, but I don't want to see ATT folks in pro wrestling at all.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

Granted Marshall is a jabroni, but this match really didn't do him any favors and came off as another LOL Cody wins moment. AEW also has a habit of rushing gimmick matches shortly into feuds instead of building to them over time.

Cold debuting someone is fine and a sure fire pop if they're a wrestler who is recognizable and not going by a significantly different name or gimmick. Andrade showing up like he did worked as he's well established and playing the same character with more or less the same name. Tommy End showing up got a good pop (though the crowd didn't seem miced that well all night?) but seeing as how he was going by a new name with a story attached, they really should have either done a warm debut by airing his promo video or have had him cut a promo after knocking Arn and Cody sideways and introducing himself. I'm sure they'll put up his vignette at some point, but when someone has a particular character and story they're trying to portray, it really needs some exposition ahead of time or else it's just kind of wtf. Excalibur calling him Tommy End then Malaki Black was a real noodle scratcher in that there's no explanation in how he should have somehow known that. I'm not wild about his first feud being with Cody but we'll see.

Andrade/Sydal is a nice introductory feud in that Sydal can have a good match with anyone and has a style complimenting Andrade. Like others have mentioned, it would have been better for him to go over one of the numerous lower card guys they've got out there (Serpentico maybe?) in a relatively quick and decisive fashion before having a more competitive match with Sydal.

I wasn't familiar with the MMA manager guy, but he had better mic skills than half the roster. I assume he's a legit fan but either way he really seemed in his element and gave me a Pat MacAfee vibe somehow. He's definitely someone I wouldn't mind seeing back in one role or another.

The main event was basically a PWG Guerilla Warfare match. I agree with the previous comments about this being another case of faces having zero friends once The Good Brothers came out. They keep calling Kazarian "The Elite Hunter" yet has he actually had a match with one of them or just does the odd run-in trying to counteract their interference?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Granted Marshall is a jabroni, but this match really didn't do him any favors and came off as another LOL Cody wins moment. 

The match didn't need to do him any favours. He's likely never going to be a figure of great consequence on these shows. This was about giving the Codymaniacs something to cheer and kicking the new tour off with a big, unambiguous babyface win. Only thing they could have done better here was make this the main event to send the people home happy.

If he makes Black look like a jabroni when they square off, that would be a different thing. But Cody's a pro, so I'm sure he'll make the kid look good. 

Watched the show because they've been promoting it on the Dan Le Batard Show and two spots that really ended up sticking out in my mind. 

The first being was the finish during the IG tag match where I was super confused by Kris Statlander being legal at the end because I had no clue where the tag occurred. So I went back and apparently Statander tagged herself by reaching through the second and bottom rope and touching a laid out Cassidy. Made me wonder if it was a blown spot or just poor planning.

Then the second thing was in the main event where one of the Young Bucks did a swanton bomb onto a trash can and popped up like it didn't hurt them at all, which feels like it should always be put over as putting your own body on the line to destroy your opponent. Course I suppose this is also the match that had a Canadian Destroyer through a table during the first couple minutes of the match. Oh and one last thing about that match, was I the only person that cringed every time they did the "throw thumbtacks at someone" spot?

From a production perspective it was kinda annoying that every match had a commercial break in it and while they did the PIP for all the matches it kinda seemed like they still wrestled as if they were in a commercial break, if that makes any sense.

Edited by blitzkrieg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blitzkrieg said:

The first being was the finish during the IG tag match where I was super confused by Kris Statlander being legal at the end because I had no clue where the tag occurred. So I went back and apparently Statander tagged herself by reaching through the second and bottom rope and touching a laid out Cassidy. Made me wonder if it was a blown spot or just poor planning.

I took it as Kris wanted to make sure Aubrey saw the tag without Blade and Allie seeing it.  So that's why she snuck that in then waited for her moment.  So unless proved otherwise I thought it was a smart way to finish the match.

• Like 2

Tomalakai Blend.

Dan Lambert is a massive wrestling fan. When he did this angle in Impact, he showed some of his memorabilia collection, and he's got things like The Road Warrior's AWA(?) Tag belts. Like unique, valuable, Conrad got outbid stuff.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I took it as Kris wanted to make sure Aubrey saw the tag without Blade and Allie seeing it.  So that's why she snuck that in then waited for her moment.  So unless proved otherwise I thought it was a smart way to finish the match.

I have always assumed that in wrestling a legal tag has to be done over the top rope, I've never seen an actual tag executed otherwise. Like on the plus side Aubrey did totally acknowledge that a tag had been made, just the actual tag seemed weird to me. Which is why I wondered if they had blown the spot where the tag was suppose to actually been made and just had to make it work anyway.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

Oh and one last thing about that match, was I the only person that cringed every time they did the "throw thumbtacks at someone" spot?

The only thing dumber is putting tacks in someone's mouth. NOBODY would let anyone do that to them. 

19 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

I have always assumed that in wrestling a legal tag has to be done over the top rope, I've never seen an actual tag executed otherwise.

That's something that has bothered me about modern tag team wrestling.  I've seen all these and none should be a legal tag:

• Tag through the ropes
  • Tag over the ropes with the illegal man standing on the bottom rope and leaning in
  • Tag by slapping your partner's back
  • Tag by slapping your partner's outstretched foot
  • Tag while climbing the buckles on the outside

That's all bullshit.  Growing up, a tag was hands-only, reaching over the top only, with the illegal man planted firmly on the apron in the the corner.  Bonus points if there's a tag rope.

Two-man pins are likewise bullshit.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That's something that has bothered me about modern tag team wrestling.  I've seen all these and none should be a legal tag:

• Tag through the ropes
  • Tag over the ropes with the illegal man standing on the bottom rope and leaning in
  • Tag by slapping your partner's back
  • Tag by slapping your partner's outstretched foot
  • Tag while climbing the buckles on the outside

That's all bullshit.  Growing up, a tag was hands-only, reaching over the top only, with the illegal man planted firmly on the apron in the the corner.  Bonus points if there's a tag rope.

Two-man pins are likewise bullshit.

Have you ever played tag? You just gotta touch the person for a tag and then they're it. That's where tag team wrestling came from. You tag your partner and they are it. You're making up your own set of rules here my man. The only rule that has been established is you need to be holding the tag rope for it to be legal. But 21st century has abolished the tag rope. AEW had it for a minute but even they decided against it.

But as far as I have ever understood, a legal tag occurs when you are in the ring and your partner is out of the ring and you touch signifying a change of who is "it" (or legal). You can reach in. You can have a foot on the bottom rope inside (lots of babyfaces do this to get an extra spring for speed on the hot tag). You can touch a back or foot. Just gotta be one in one out and touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Tomalakai Blend.

Dan Lambert is a massive wrestling fan. When he did this angle in Impact, he showed some of his memorabilia collection, and he's got things like The Road Warrior's AWA(?) Tag belts. Like unique, valuable, Conrad got outbid stuff.

IIRC Lambert and John Hartnett set up there own little wrestling federation for fun at American Top Team like years before he did stuff in wrestling. When you're rich, you can do shit like that I guess.

And this is before their gym upgrade which is basically now like a campus with lavish dorm rooms and whatnot. So I'm assuming ATT basically looks like the WWE PC on steroids now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Have you ever played tag? You just gotta touch the person for a tag and then they're it. That's where tag team wrestling came from. You tag your partner and they are it. You're making up your own set of rules here my man. The only rule that has been established is you need to be holding the tag rope for it to be legal. But 21st century has abolished the tag rope. AEW had it for a minute but even they decided against it.

But as far as I have ever understood, a legal tag occurs when you are in the ring and your partner is out of the ring and you touch signifying a change of who is "it" (or legal). You can reach in. You can have a foot on the bottom rope inside (lots of babyfaces do this to get an extra spring for speed on the hot tag). You can touch a back or foot. Just gotta be one in one out and touch.

Taken from the Missouri Administrative Code which has a section on pro-wrestling:

In order to be eligible to receive a tag, the wrestler’s partner shall be outside the ring on the apron in the proper corner with both feet on the ring apron and only receive the tag over the top ring rope;

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1