DVDVR Message Board

UFC 264: Poirier vs. McGregor III (7/10/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Poirier looked good. If he's got one last in him, give Conor the Diaz trilogy and then he can fuck right off. But I doubt he comes back from that. 

Conor sounded even more desperate than ever to try to keep this feud going. If Poirier was smart he'd move on from him and maybe he now will, course I know the money is very very tempting to keep the feud up but Conor only has one win in the last five years, Poirier needs to go get him a title and let Conor go back to superfights with Diaz.

That post-fight was utterly depressing and dark -- McGregor often maintains civility/a 'charm' of sorts on the outside, but he seems to have declined into a rabid state on par with any of fighting's champions-fallen-to-excess, underpinned by a very unpleasant sheer anger. In terms of the fight, given where we know his cardio is historically at and with how comfortable Dustin seemed to be with the boxing, there was likely no coming back anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A_K said:

That post-fight was utterly depressing and dark -- McGregor often maintains civility/a 'charm' of sorts on the outside, but he seems to have declined into a rabid state on par with any of fighting's champions-fallen-to-excess, underpinned by a very unpleasant sheer anger. In terms of the fight, given where we know his cardio is historically at and with how comfortable Dustin seemed to be with the boxing, there was likely no coming back anyway.

Yeah, you can just see how unglued he was. I only watched the main this morning and will watch the rest of the show later this evening but man, yeah, dark is a good way to put it. On the one hand, it's been said before and I'm saying it again, maybe they should not put microphones in front of people who were just concussed and/or seriously hurt. On the other hand, those thirty seconds of McGregor looking like a wild man while babbling incoherently were...something. 

I doubt Poirier will be sitting out for McGregor to rehab that injury. I expect the only way we see part four is if Dustin comes up short in his deserved title shot. 

7 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Yeah, you can just see how unglued he was. I only watched the main this morning and will watch the rest of the show later this evening but man, yeah, dark is a good way to put it. On the one hand, it's been said before and I'm saying it again, maybe they should not put microphones in front of people who were just concussed and/or seriously hurt. On the other hand, those thirty seconds of McGregor looking like a wild man while babbling incoherently were...something. 

I doubt Poirier will be sitting out for McGregor to rehab that injury. I expect the only way we see part four is if Dustin comes up short in his deserved title shot. 

I had to turn it off. When the man is sitting there with a broken ankle, viciously calling Poirier's wife a "hoe" who is in his DMs, inviting her to the Wynn etc. in front of 15k people I mean yeah .. its a genuine insight into his soul. I was at MSG to see him beat Alvarez and god, how he's descended since. Maybe it was always there to this degree ("I would invade his favela on horseback"), but now it tangibly feels to have gone from scampish to depraved.

13 minutes ago, A_K said:

I had to turn it off. When the man is sitting there with a broken ankle, viciously calling Poirier's wife a "hoe" who is in his DMs, inviting her to the Wynn etc. in front of 15k people I mean yeah .. its a genuine insight into his soul. I was at MSG to see him beat Alvarez and god, how he's descended since. Maybe it was always there to this degree ("I would invade his favela on horseback"), but now it tangibly feels to have gone from scampish to depraved.

This is always what it was. He was just winning then.

• Like 4

Conor needs this rivalry, but Dustin doesn't.  He's cracked the code and future wars with McGregor will not make him a better fighter.  

I know that Poirier considers himself to be a prize fighter, but there is no bigger prize than the title.  I know you want to do right by your family by brining in the cash, dude,  but you need to go take your shot at the belt while Khabib still wants to remain retired.

Conor needs this rivalry, but Dustin doesn't.  He's cracked the code and future wars with McGregor will not make him a better fighter.  

I know that Poirier considers himself to be a prize fighter, but there is no bigger prize than the title.  I know you want to do right by your family by brining in the cash, dude,  but you need to go take your shot at the belt while Khabib still wants to remain retired.

4 hours ago, A_K said:

I had to turn it off. When the man is sitting there with a broken ankle, viciously calling Poirier's wife a "hoe" who is in his DMs, inviting her to the Wynn etc. in front of 15k people I mean yeah ..

I was really disappointed, but I wasn't.  I kinda expected it, but I sorta hoped that McGregor would muster up some class after getting whooped in the rubber match.

Max and Stephen A really tried to sell Conor as having a chance, but I kinda figured that Dustin would go to those legs and that ass one more time.

So, Conor pleaded guilty, then bought the pub where it happened and proceeded to ban the guy he punched from going in there.

What an arsehole.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, A_K said:

So we are just going to figure that period of Connor where he was so unhinged he was shattering bus windows WITH FIGHTERS INSIDE OF IT.   Fighting old man in bars.   Frankly before the Khabib fight Connor was a dangerous mess that needed an ass kicking.  We thought that he kind of grown up in the comeback but unfortunately desperate people do desperate things.   

I know there will do a 4th fight but it is stupid frankly.  If you can't do anything else with McGregor then just get rid of them.  There has to be a ton of different opponents for him.   Although maybe not that many he can actually beat

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

So we are just going to figure that period of Connor where he was so unhinged he was shattering bus windows WITH FIGHTERS INSIDE OF IT.   Fighting old man in bars.   Frankly before the Khabib fight Connor was a dangerous mess that needed an ass kicking.  We thought that he kind of grown up in the comeback but unfortunately desperate people do desperate things.   

I know there will do a 4th fight but it is stupid frankly.  If you can't do anything else with McGregor then just get rid of them.  There has to be a ton of different opponents for him.   Although maybe not that many he can actually beat

He's the only money draw in the company, getting rid of him is not an option. He's just going to rematch Poirier and Diaz endlessly*, until his fans go off him or he gets a better offer. 

* But certainly not Jose Aldo. Man's got the fear.