DVDVR Message Board

NXT: The Great American Bash XXIII - 7/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

"Big" show tomorrow night:  

FOR THE NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - MSK (c) vs. Tommaso Ciampa/Timothy Thatcher

FOR THE MILLION DOLLAR CHAMPIONSHIP - LA Knight (c) vs. Cameron Grimes*

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Way (c) vs. Io Shirai/Zoey Stark

Kyle O'Reilly vs. Adam Cole

* - Grimes will become Knight's butler if he loses

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Does making someone wash your dog or do your laundry cross into bullying territory in 2021? 

You can bet it does, but the written contract between the two "willing" participants should give it some leeway. Of course, the contract probably shouldn't allow anything that could be considered abusive, but since it's a contract drawn up by WWE people, Grimes should really look through the details very carefully before signing anything. And it's probably too late for that, NOW!

I just realized Cameron Grimes has to be Virgil to LA Knight's Million Dollar Man. Of course they'll go through years of abuse in about two months for a big blow off where Cameron finally wins the gold.

It's great to see Tegan Knox back. Hopefully she remains at 100% for a while to come.

MSK vs. Ciampa/Thatcher was good. I did feel a little sorry for MSK since there was no way in hell they were getting cheered over Ciampa.

Knight/Grimes seemed solid from what I caught. Knew Grimes would lose. Have to get at least a month of him playing a butler.

The Way vs. Io/Zoey was decent. Nice to see Tegan back. kind of disappointed Io & Stark are champs since they are kind of randomly put together. Wonder who beats them.

Hit Row putting on a mini-concert was surprising. I didn't hate it.

Not super excited about the breakout tournament, but I also known jack and shit about damn near everyone involved except for whatever info I looked up about Ikemen Jiro a while back along with whatever matches some had this past month on NXT.

Joe as the ref for Kross/Gargano is nice. Not sure who I want him to choke out more. I just know i want him to choke someone out.

I didn't bother with Cole/KOR. Was it any good?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They hired Ikemen Jiro and Joe Gacy. Whoever thought we would have Wrestle-1 and CZW alumni in NXT this year, you win a set of steak knives.

And with Duke Hudson, we’ve even got former Raw superstars in the Breakout tourney as well!

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I didn't bother with Cole/KOR. Was it any good?

I was watching Hashimoto vs. Tenryu from 1999 instead, with NXT muted in the background. The main event was longer. It also got the first "This Is Awesome" chant I've heard since February last year. 

So, that probably explains how I would feel about it.

Edited by Curt McGirt

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

The Way vs. Io/Zoey was decent. Nice to see Tegan back. kind of disappointed Io & Stark are champs since they are kind of randomly put together. Wonder who beats them.

I think it is just one of those necessities forced on them by booking.

Shotzi about to be called up eliminated Shotzi/Ember as possibilities and they knew they had to get the title off of Candice so she could be moved into the feud with Knox (which I am giving the benefit to NXT here in that they started the charging battery thing knowing full well what the initial plan was and not "Oh fuck - what are we gonna do?" a week before)

It does highlight the issue with NXT women's tag scene at the moment, they don't really ever have "teams". It is always "2 singles wrestlers working together for a period of time." I mean right now there is just The Way and Robert Stone Brand and The Way is, at least temporarily, is back to focusing on singles (Of course - the same could be said of the women's main roster tag teams too)

I had the show on in the background and spaced out for large swaths of it. 

I started mid-way through the opener. It seemed like a fun spring, but man that finish was not good in a "this is a tired, lazy WWE booking trope" kind of way.

Grimes/Knight seemed kind of there, but the finish looked sort of botched to me.

I didn't really pay attention to the women's tag, but I remembered I read Tegan Knox was cleared to come back when the battery charger graphic popped up to end that match. I hope she can stay healthy and go on a decent run. That many ACL injuries is tough luck.

Cole/O'Reilly was more noise than attention. The crowd was super into it, but I'm not huge on Cole, and I don't know that a match needs multiple panama sunrises.

This was your grumpy, mid-30s, curmudgeon, and I've been watching wrestling for way too long (26 years now, yikes) recap of the day. 

Hated seeing Grimes lose but it was the right call.  He will be an even bigger babyface than he already is after a couple of months (if that's even possible) and the blow off match where he wins the Miliion $ Belt will be huge.

Cole got his win back and a rubber match seems inevitable.  I give zero shits about Cole and hope O'Reilly destroys him in the blow off.  Kyle is finally coming into his own after years and years and I hope that this dumb crap with Cole puts KOR on trajectory to take the NXT Title off of Gargano after he beats Kross.

I am not sure what to think about the return of Tegan Nox.   I suppose that they are bringing her in because NXT is about to lose ladies talent to RAW and Smackdown, but Nox is on ACL Tear #3.  I think I'd call it quits.

Edited by J.T.

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am not sure what to think about the return of Tegan Nox.   I suppose that they are bringing her in because NXT is about to lose ladies talent to RAW and Smackdown, but Nox is on ACL Tear #3.  I think I'd call it quits.

Ironically she worked a dark match before RAW so I will laugh if they spent this time building her up again and then she immediately gets called up to the main roster

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

MSK vs. Ciampa/Thatcher was good. I did feel a little sorry for MSK since there was no way in hell they were getting cheered over Ciampa.

Still have no idea why MSK is hated so much by these fans.   is it because they were IMPACT guys?   It can't be because they "shoved down our throats" because frankly half of NXT is that.    

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ironically she worked a dark match before RAW so I will laugh if they spent this time building her up again and then she immediately gets called up to the main roster

She wore a gigantic knee brace after ACL Tear #2.  She's going to need a cyborg replacement leg if she keeps this up.

Edited by J.T.

The thing that's making me laugh right now is that they announced the full field of the Breakout Tournament, when they already announced on last week's 205 live that two more qualifying matches would be happening on this week's 205 live. According to some reports they actually did tape those two matches yesterday (Grayson Waller vs. Odyssey Jones and Asher Hale vs. Josh Briggs). So they just went ahead and spoiled the results of those two matches, because nobody watches 205 live anyways, I guess?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It does highlight the issue with NXT women's tag scene at the moment, they don't really ever have "teams". It is always "2 singles wrestlers working together for a period of time." I mean right now there is just The Way and Robert Stone Brand and The Way is, at least temporarily, is back to focusing on singles (Of course - the same could be said of the women's main roster tag teams too)

You're forgetting about Kacy/Kayden and Raquel/Dakota who have been teaming longer than everyone else. That said, you are not wrong about there being too few teams. 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Still have no idea why MSK is hated so much by these fans.   is it because they were IMPACT guys?   It can't be because they "shoved down our throats" because frankly half of NXT is that.    

I think its more the fast push of the new guys when others have been around longer. And to be fair its not normally that bad. When MSK went against LDF the cheering was more even and less boos despite the fans preferring Legado. Here though they went up against one of the most popular wrestlers in NXT history. The boos were inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You're forgetting about Kacy/Kayden and Raquel/Dakota who have been teaming longer than everyone else. That said, you are not wrong about there being too few teams. 

I did forget about Kacy and Kayden

I didn't count Raquel and Dakota since Raquel is the Singles champ but yes they are more of a team that pretty much everyone else in the "division"

Wow! The Knee Break Kid is back! Look out Candice, she'll go to tear on you! Great job Zoey! You are awesome! Indi's Razor homage was awesome, too!

Hit Row are legitimately the best rappers in WWE since Oscar from M.O.M and John Cena! Better than R-Truth.

Grimes is going to have some bad times ahead.

The men's tag title match was really good, the ending was a bit anti-climactic, but MSK sure are becoming true champions.

Are we really going to have Gargano as the champ for a minute, again?

At least Cole's new theme is better than the UE one was.

The new Break Out tourney looks interesting because of the size difference between the competitors. It will be fun to see who comes out on top this time. Last time it didn't turn out so well for the winner, but pretty much everyone else, it sort of did.

Edited by Shartnado
More thoughts...