DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tony Khan was on Dan LeBatard's show and weirdly blamed the poor explosion in the barb wire match on the fact they used professionals.

This is the recap from the WON site

I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here because otherwise it comes across as "Fuck people who know what they are doing! We should have just let Pharaoh push the button!"

I think it would be a fun deathmatch to just have a dog randomly have the explosion buttons in the room.  Or a cat,  they'd blow everyone up the first minute.

Maybe put some treats or food on a plate and when the cat eats it yanks a button that sets off an explosion.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tony Khan was on Dan LeBatard's show and weirdly blamed the poor explosion in the barb wire match on the fact they used professionals.

This is the recap from the WON site

I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here because otherwise it comes across as "Fuck people who know what they are doing! We should have just let Pharaoh push the button!"

So taken in combination with previous reporting and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that nobody is changing their story... They tested the pyro multiple times and it looked great (the world Meltzer used) and the professionals then made the choice to then err on the side of caution and Tony didn't have them demonstrate what the safe version would look like? Or did the "professionals" unilaterally decide on a change that they didn't run by Tony? 

Is there a version of this where someone isn't making a long story short? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just LOL at Coach Tony making his chief regret and source of blame is that he hired professionals.  Like in his mind he'd have gotten far better results had he just rounded up some gool ol' boys from down yonder in Tallahessee and just let them go nuts.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I just LOL at Coach Tony making his chief regret and source of blame is that he hired professionals.  Like in his mind he'd have gotten far better results had he just rounded up some gool ol' boys from down yonder in Tallahessee and just let them go nuts.

There's an Ax and Smash joke in here somewhere

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

"Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit!"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So taken in combination with previous reporting and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that nobody is changing their story... They tested the pyro multiple times and it looked great (the world Meltzer used) and the professionals then made the choice to then err on the side of caution and Tony didn't have them demonstrate what the safe version would look like? Or did the "professionals" unilaterally decide on a change that they didn't run by Tony? 

Is there a version of this where someone isn't making a long story short? 

I think the issue here is in 2021, like how do you find the balance between something that's safe but also delivers visually for the fans?

For example, I feel Hell in a Cell is rather obsolete now in WWE. The whole reputation of Hell in a Cell is basically built on how dangerous and crazy it is and because Foley damn near killed himself with the 1998 match where got thrown off the top and put through the roof.

But now you have this awful red Hell in a Cell, a referee calling for a no contest because Seth is using weapons and crash pads. I mean, I don't mind like a crash pad. But I also don't want wrestlers to get hurt and their careers shortened. I think my general argument is if you can't do these matches and make them both safe and impressive, I'd rather move away from them.

Look at how people reacted to Jericho falling on crash pads for Blood & Guts. Is it really worth it pushing for these crazy bumps? 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, alstein said:

I think it would be a fun deathmatch to just have a dog randomly have the explosion buttons in the room.  Or a cat,  they'd blow everyone up the first minute.

Maybe put some treats or food on a plate and when the cat eats it yanks a button that sets off an explosion.

Randy%2BOrton...%2BPyro%2BGuy.%2BRandy%2

How about the Viper?

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think the issue here is in 2021, like how do you find the balance between something that's safe but also delivers visually for the fans?

Like I feel Hell in a Cell is rather obsolete now in WWE. The whole reputation of Hell in a Cell is basically built on how dangerous and crazy it is and because Foley damn near killed himself with the 1998 match where got thrown off the top and put through the roof.

But now you have this awful red Hell in a Cell, a referee calling for a no contest because Seth is using weapons and crash pads. I mean, I don't mind like a crash pad. I don't want wrestlers to get hurt and their careers shortened. I think my general argument is if you can't do these matches and make them both safe and impressive, I'd rather move away from them.

Look at how people reacted to Jericho falling on crash pads for Blood & Guts. Is it really worth it pushing for these crazy bumps? 

I do not think that AEW needs to do these giant stunts, and cool if they put the kibosh on them for the foreseeable future. In fact, for the next Blood and Guts match, I'd add the stipulation that leaving the cage is an automatic loss).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

I do not think that AEW needs to do these giant stunts, and cool if they put the kibosh on them for the foreseeable future. In fact, for the next Blood and Guts match, I'd add the stipulation that leaving the cage is an automatic loss).

I'd personally be fine with this, but I think Tony Khan likes it that his show can go steps further than TV-PG WWE and they can have the more adult and hardcore edge WWE does not, ie blood, curse words, more brutal hardcore matches, etc.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Of-fucking-course not. Seeing how defensive he gets about that being the worst bump he's ever taken just makes me sad. I'm sad he sacrificed his health for that. These bumps should be discouraged. Finish that shit in the ring and side-step the scrutiny. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Everyone knows that rednecks engineer the best explosions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Of-fucking-course not. Seeing how defensive he gets about that being the worst bump he's ever taken just makes me sad. I'm sad he sacrificed his health for that. These bumps should be discouraged. Finish that shit in the ring and side-step the scrutiny. 

What's worse, and was the main thing he was upset about, is that workers in the same business as him, who should know the risks and sympathize, were making fun of him to get some validation in their miserable, sad lives score some sweet sweet Internet points.

If we had social media in the late 90s, the same types would be dunking on Owen Hart for dropping Austin on his head,.

Edited by Technico Support

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Everyone knows that rednecks engineer the best explosions.

A friend of mine went to a place on the 4th where this redneck family bought $8K worth of fireworks.   They not only put on a helluva show but were competing with other redneck families who bought just as much.   So yeah I would think they would know how to make a ring go boom.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

What's worse, and was the main thing he was upset about, is that workers in the same business as him, who should know the risks and sympathize, were making fun of him to get some validation in their miserable, sad lives score some sweet sweet Internet points.

If we had social media in the late 90s, the same types would be dunking on Owen Hart for dropping Austin on his head,.

To be fair you are not wrong whatsoever. Everything gets looked at in a vaccum now. 10-15 years ago all you really had was wrestling message boards. Now one click on Twitter and you have 100+million people who can talk about anything and get it "trending" for the main stream media within minutes of it happening.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'd personally be fine with this, but I think Tony Khan likes it that his show can go steps further than TV-PG WWE and they can have the more adult and hardcore edge WWE does not, ie blood, curse words, more brutal hardcore matches, etc.

I'm cool with all of those, as long as they add to the overall product. I was referring more to the planned explosion going wrong at Revolution (though admittedly thought that match idea itself is a hair extreme, especially when it also doubled as a world title match) or Jericho's giant bump off the cage (which I have less of an issue with, but still unnecessary on the whole).

• Like 1

Thank Christ. Moxley finally shaved his head. I was wondering when he was going to do that. He's buzzed it before, but this sounds like he took a razor to it, which, as a person who has been doing that for years, is really the best move. His hairline has been receding a lot so it's time to take it all off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

that being the worst bump he's ever taken

So landing on crash pads is worse than breaking your arm in a match with Gedo. Got it.

EDIT: Or wait, was the Gedo one where he landed on his head? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Thank Christ. Moxley finally shaved his head. I was wondering when he was going to do that. He's buzzed it before, but this sounds like he took a razor to it, which, as a person who has been doing that for years, is really the best move. His hairline has been receding a lot so it's time to take it all off.

Every year without fail and look at my hairline wondering if it'll be the year I say screw it and shave it all.  I thankfully have a little patch in the front holding it together but once that goes back further it's gonna be time.  Hopefully it won't be until I hit 40 or 45 if I'm lucky.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So landing on crash pads is worse than breaking your arm in a match with Gedo. Got it.

EDIT: Or wait, was the Gedo one where he landed on his head? 

Jericho broke his arm trying a Shooting Star Press before SMW Night of Legends. Then he did his ever first blade job in a match later that night, and cut way too deep. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Every year without fail and look at my hairline wondering if it'll be the year I say screw it and shave it all. Hopefully it won't be until I hit 40 or 45 if I'm lucky.

this hits way too close to home. i have two mohawks (think Road Warrior Hawk) and they get a little further back each time i look. I'm hoping I can live with them until i hit 40 (16 months.....which also doesn't seem real). After that, who knows?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Jon-Moxley-Bald.jpg?width=900

What's Sam Roberts doing in the New Japan Zone?!?

• Haha 4