DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

..This is not 1990s WCW...

Again food for thought here... but the only time in the last 40 years WWE wasn't number one... was late 1990s WCW. So dissing that as some sort of terrible thing to be is silly to me. They *should* try and replicate the ideas that WCW used that worked. They should also learn from history about what not to do. But let's be blunt, putting the title on Punk isn't going to sink the company. Not putting the title on Punk isn't going to sink the company. They're much more stable than that at this point.

The home grown talking point is a little over stated. Yes a thriving promotion needs to create their own stars... as PART of the winning formula. But Vince put his world title on someone else's star over his own guys in January of 1984. That one worked out pretty well. He also did put the title on his homegrown guy Yokozuna and that didn't do much for business. So it's not a 100% forgone conclusion either way. It has to be a balancing act.

The belt collector thing has already kind of petered out. He's stopped carrying out the other titles on AEW. There's a high likelihood he's losing the AAA one to Andrade August 14th. Wouldn't be surprised if Impact is ready to get their title back at the next ppv as well. I know it would be dope if he was 2021 Ultimo Dragon with 9 titles but I don't think it's getting any further than it already is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Again food for thought here... but the only time in the last 40 years WWE wasn't number one... was late 1990s WCW. So dissing that as some sort of terrible thing to be is silly to me. They *should* try and replicate the ideas that WCW used that worked. They should also learn from history about what not to do. But let's be blunt, putting the title on Punk isn't going to sink the company. Not putting the title on Punk isn't going to sink the company. They're much more stable than that at this point.

The home grown talking point is a little over stated. Yes a thriving promotion needs to create their own stars... as PART of the winning formula. But Vince put his world title on someone else's star over his own guys in January of 1984. That one worked out pretty well. He also did put the title on his homegrown guy Yokozuna and that didn't do much for business. So it's not a 100% forgone conclusion either way. It has to be a balancing act.

The belt collector thing has already kind of petered out. He's stopped carrying out the other titles on AEW. There's a high likelihood he's losing the AAA one to Andrade August 14th. Wouldn't be surprised if Impact is ready to get their title back at the next ppv as well. I know it would be dope if he was 2021 Ultimo Dragon with 9 titles but I don't think it's getting any further than it already is.

Not trying to be that guy cause I understand the root of what you're saying - but there's a god damn big difference between Yokozuna and Hangman Page. One can talk on the mic and cut a good promo and has also been involved in some of the best matches/hottest angles in AEW so far. Granted, when Yoko was around and running crazy I was like 3-5, but I can't think of anything in my head outside of Hogan/Mania of note involved with a world champion Yokozuna.

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Again food for thought here... but the only time in the last 40 years WWE wasn't number one... was late 1990s WCW. So dissing that as some sort of terrible thing to be is silly to me.

It’s not a silly thing. When Hogan came in WCW was on its 4th personality change, and for a bit they were pretty stable with Hogan, but the big change is when got a refresh in gimmicks. AEW has had stable growth with the model they’ve used. Even before Punk & Danielson signings were even hinted at the company was already building momentum again. I’m not saying these guys aren’t needed, but don’t forget the guys who helped bring you to this point in the first place. To just throw them out in an instant for the new hotness(or oldness) would be a mistake. You use these men to help grow your own talent.

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

What program are you watching? The whole weirdo with all the belts is one of the more over acts in the company, and it’s the only act that has had week to week growth in the ratings. He actually doesn’t need that many belts, he just needs a couple, and needs to wave them around before nailing somebody in the face with it. He’s a goof heel with a fu-Manchu and the fans eat it up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s not a silly thing. When Hogan came in WCW was on its 4th personality change, and for a bit they were pretty stable with Hogan, but the big change is when got a refresh in gimmicks. AEW has had stable growth with the model they’ve used. Even before Punk & Danielson signings were even hinted at the company was already building momentum again. I’m not saying these guys aren’t needed, but don’t forget the guys who helped bring you to this point in the first place. To just throw them out in an instant for the new hotness(or oldness) would be a mistake. You use these men to help grow your own talent.

No one is throwing anyone out for the new hotness. My personal preference still has Hangman being crowned by beating Omega, just at Revolution. And I say that because if you put the belt on Hangman at All Out and Punk wrestles, all the headlines are about Punk. Then D-Bry debuts at Grand Slam, so all the headlines are about him and NOT Hangman. What I'm advocating for is to actually let the dust settle and the newness to wear off before crowning their guys as THE guy. Just because in my opinion that helps Hangman more than being midcard world champion third from the top behind two new megastars when they get all the headlines the first three months.

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What program are you watching? The whole weirdo with all the belts is one of the more over acts in the company, and it’s the only act that has had week to week growth in the ratings. He actually doesn’t need that many belts, he just needs a couple, and needs to wave them around before nailing somebody in the face with it. He’s a goof heel with a fu-Manchu and the fans eat it up.

What program are you watching? It's been at least 3 weeks now without any title on screen but the AEW Title on Dynamite. He's losing one in two weeks. Which is why I believe AEW has made the conscious choice to down play that part of his character. Because they don't want it to change the narrative of their story when he loses other people's titles. In Garland he used the phrase belt collector in that promo. But outside of that he has had none of the other belts and there's been no reference to it. He's still the delusional demi-god of wrestling or whatever. But the multiple belts thing has petered out. (He also only had the Impact titles on his last few Impact appearances.)

28 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Not trying to be that guy cause I understand the root of what you're saying - but there's a god damn big difference between Yokozuna and Hangman Page. One can talk on the mic and cut a good promo and has also been involved in some of the best matches/hottest angles in AEW so far. Granted, when Yoko was around and running crazy I was like 3-5, but I can't think of anything in my head outside of Hogan/Mania of note involved with a world champion Yokozuna.

Fair enough. I wasn't directly comparing Hangman to Yokozuna. You would be right in that being a terrible comparison. I was just trying to demonstrate "home grown" doesn't always mean they are THE guy. In actuality Hangman is way closer to an Austin. But it's about timing. I still believe in crowning Hangman. Just not while all the headlines are about other guys. Let that wear off and not be so shocking / new. Give Hangman the win when that's all people are gonna wanna talk about.

58 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I will say the question becomes how long can Kenny hold onto the Impact World or AAA Mega Title as well. In our fantasy booking, we want an AEW talent to be the first guy to pin Omega - but if we keep the strap on Kenny for the foreseeable future, he's going to have to keep the Impact World Title hostage in the process.

It’s thinking about this stuff when I have the thought that:

1. This is definitely a good time to put Page over and make him champion.  The momentum and narrative certainly suggested as much before the 10 man.  

2. But the belt collector stuff makes me think that Kenny’s run (considered unto itself) isn’t quite ready to drop the belt and give Page every bit of pass the torch credit.  Every bit that is required will be readily available so Omega can possibly spend it to make a baby face “the guy”.  Omega hasn’t won or fought for all the belts he could be winning as of yet.  Page winning now pretty much cuts that off I’d think… right?

• Like 1

Look at all this discussion regardless. How fucking awesome is it that we can spitball all of these plausable ideas because of the height wrestling is at.

I'm 30, so when the Monday Night Wars ended I was about 9/10. Couldn't really grasp what was going on (also wasn't as into it as now) but I'll be damned if this isn't the most passionate and invested in wrestling I've ever been in. Close second was TNA back in 2005/2006, but my god this blows it out of the water. Every week I just wanna discuss and can't wait til our next hit. I feel like a god damn drug fiend waiting for my fix every week haha

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Didn't Kenny brain Page with the TNA belt for the last near fall on Wednesday night?

The teased belt shot to distract the ref was with one of the Tag belts, then the actual belt shot was the AEW title.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I actually think that crowning Page the same night Punk has a big time match is the right way to go.

If any half interested people tune in for Punk then Page can really set himself as THE guy.

Yeah, I think they should. I mean if you think about it, All Out sold out with only a teased Hangman title shot. Those fans going are primarily there to see the companies talent at the time, so I don’t see those fans all of a sudden die after the Punk Vs. Darby match. If this was announced after the Punk & Bryan teases, then it’d be a different story.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If they start abandoning the clear build they were doing toward Page being the guy to unseat Omega, then they aren't 1990s WCW. They're much worse. They're post WrestleMania 17 WWE. 

Counterpoint: If Page wins the title at the ppv Punk makes his in ring return and Bryan Danielson debuts two weeks after it, his title victory and early reign would be overshadowed by bigger names in the industry and new to AEW.

If they could keep him as over until the next ppv when Punk and Bryan are integrated, I think a Page win would be even bigger.

• Like 1

We don’t know the plan going forward. Hangman could still get a shot at All Out for all we know, be it a battle royal or through intriguing storytelling. Maybe he gets the shot at Grand Slam in front of a huge crowd. Or at Full Gear/ Revolution. I’m with everyone in that I really hope it is Hangman that dethrones Kenny. Maybe it is too soon or just right. Im clearly rambling and not adding anything to the discussion. Personally, AEW has built up enough good will that I trust I’m going to have fun with whatever is in the future. At least regarding Hangman, that is. If this was a Cody feud I’d be worried. I was getting tired of MJF vs Jericho, but the current storyline has me interested again. I rolled my eyes at some of the Elite shenanigans of the Young Bucks possibly joining, but right now I’m enjoying the group more than I was before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If they start abandoning the clear build they were doing toward Page being the guy to unseat Omega, then they aren't 1990s WCW. They're much worse. They're post WrestleMania 17 WWE. 

This would remind me of TNA completely missing the window of making Samoa Joe champ

• Like 1

I do think there would be a real risk if Page beat Omega at all out that his reign would be overshadowed by Punk/Bryan, ironically CM Punking page where Punk's WWE reign was treated as midcard even though he held the belt for a year.