DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Does anyone else feel like the trials of Jericho seems kind of like a farewell tour? Matches he never got a chance to try...opponents from the past...? I don't mean to suggest that he is leaving the company permanently, but I could see him losing the MJF match where the stip was "Loser Leaves AEW". 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

You know Jericho is "going home" before retiring. I just don't think he'll do it yet, but should he leave at the end of the year that would be totally fine with me. He has absolutely served his purpose at this stage and anything else is gravy. 

Right now AEW has a lot of younger acts who could do more with Jericho's spot than what Jericho is doing with it.  Jericho's next act needs to be getting Sammy over.

MJF doesn't have a good history with loser leaves matches- though his MLW one was killer and convinced me MJF could put the working boots on when needed.

Edited by alstein

I don't see Jericho going back to WWE except to be inducted into their Hall of Fame. This has to be his farewell tour. He doesn't have a lot left in the tank, it's clear he's booking this angle because it feels like it has his fingerprints all over it, and this angle is designed to break Jericho and give him a bunch of final opportunities. I'm not saying that once this angle is done that he's retiring, but he'll be close to it and honestly, there's nothing left for him to accomplish. He's done it all. Make him some kind of executive with AEW when it's all said and done. I wouldn't even be mad if they had him replace JR, but just tone it down a notch. Then Jericho can do the Jerry Lawler thing and wrestle every once in a while.

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Strange that Rampage is just a couple weeks away and while WOR says they're working on a deal with TSN, nothing is confirmed. 

Took till pretty close to the premiere for them to get the Dynamite deal in place IIRC. But it'd be nice if they had something to announce after a couple years of decent performance. 

18 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

Does anyone else feel like the trials of Jericho seems kind of like a farewell tour? Matches he never got a chance to try...opponents from the past...? I don't mean to suggest that he is leaving the company permanently, but I could see him losing the MJF match where the stip was "Loser Leaves AEW". 

If I had to guess, then yeah, absolutely. This is exactly what this is. Time will tell if it actually is or not!

Add me to the pile thinking this could be Jericho winding it down as a full time in ring guy. It feels like he's been taking the steps to be a commentary guy / agent / creative type / executive. I think he's really proud of what AEW has grown into, since he was the only proven big name US guy when they started. And it has his fingerprints all over the creative. WWE will surely induct him into the Hall of Fame 10 years down the line or so, but in the near future he's got a job in AEW as long as he wants it. His mind is worth every penny he asks for. It's not like he's off limits to WWE since he was just on the Austin deal, but I do sense they have no desire to use him as a talent anymore.

• Like 3

Taken from today's Q2 conference call

Vince McMahon on AEW: "I’m not sure where their investments are. When it comes to their talent, perhaps we could give them some more"

Maybe Vince wants to become a part of the forbidden door with some talent exchanges? /s

• Haha 1

Jericho's got a bunch of Fozzy dates this fall/early winter. I too hope that he's winding things down too. One of the things I really hope Tony Khan emphasizes - especially if Punk and Bryan are coming in - is a push for talent like Jericho, Mox, and even Omega - to take some time away from the ring. 

The WWE has burned through so much talent over the past two decades by keeping them on-screen in irrelevant roles, existing on a hamster wheel but not doing anything interesting or meaningful especially after title reigns. Drew McIntyre has spent the last few months jobbing to Lashley and losing credibility and any star power he might've had. Kofi Kingston went from KofiMania right back down to midcarder and, honestly, it had way, way, way more to do with his booking after losing to Lesnar than it did with actually losing to Lesnar. 

Y'know what Lesnar can lose matches to Rollins or Reigns or whoever and still be a bad-ass the minute he comes back? Because he leaves. 

So here's hoping Tony is smart enough to encourage Omega and Mox (and Jericho) to take some time off soon. They may not want to. They may say, "Why now?" But the answer is, Omega/Danielson is going to be a hot match in 2 months, 3 months, or 6 months. Make the audience wait. (This is also why, if it were me, I wouldn't bring in Punk and Danielson within 6 weeks of each other. The anticipation balloon isn't anywhere near ready to pop on both.)

• Like 5

Moxley has taken time off in the recent past, but nothing extended. I would reckon that Omega is going to heal up after dropping the belt, so getting in the Danielson match before, not after he loses to Page makes sense.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:07 AM, The Natural said:

E7TtZvGWUA0fwXH?format=jpg&name=large

They should try to get him to narrate a promo video for a big match like he does for the UFC

As for Jericho I've been feeling this storyline culminates with him having to put his career on the line in someway 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Add me to the pile thinking this could be Jericho winding it down as a full time in ring guy. It feels like he's been taking the steps to be a commentary guy / agent / creative type / executive. I think he's really proud of what AEW has grown into, since he was the only proven big name US guy when they started. And it has his fingerprints all over the creative. WWE will surely induct him into the Hall of Fame 10 years down the line or so, but in the near future he's got a job in AEW as long as he wants it. His mind is worth every penny he asks for. It's not like he's off limits to WWE since he was just on the Austin deal, but I do sense they have no desire to use him as a talent anymore.

If WWE was willing, I am confident TK would let Jericho be inducted into the HOF even if he was still with AEW. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

How cool is it that it's 2021 and we're going to get Tony Schiavone and David Crockett on the same announcing team??

The only drawback would be the almost complete absence of calling moves.  Everything is a “type of” something or just described using some form of onomatopoeia like “Ohhhhh!”…or a better example that escapes me at this time.  It is a living nightmare for someone with low vision as myself.  Too often I remember them in the 1980s calling the result of the action …but rarely what caused it.  

Even in these modern AEW years Tony Schiavone can still be guilty at times.  The 18 years off between wrestling gigs appears to have reinvigorated him considerably though.  Whether it was the long rest or Excalibur just being the great and exhaustive wrestling nerd that he is has kept Tony S on his toes more often than his WCW coworkers ever did. 

Schiavone also sounds like he is having a lot of fun out there.  Whether he is directing traffic on Dynamite or mentoring Paul Wight on Elevation this sounds like a YOUNGER Tony than we got on late 1990s WCW.

David Crocket has been out of the game even longer than Schiavone.  We probably shouldn’t expect the same recharging of batteries with Crockett though.

Just call it a hunch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

The only drawback would be the almost complete absence of calling moves.  Everything is a “type of” something or just described using some form of onomatopoeia like “Ohhhhh!”…or a better example that escapes me at this time.  It is a living nightmare for someone with low vision as myself.  Too often I remember them in the 1980s calling the result of the action …but rarely what caused it.  

Even in these modern AEW years Tony Schiavone can still be guilty at times.  The 18 years off between wrestling gigs appears to have reinvigorated him considerably though.  Whether it was the long rest or Excalibur just being the great and exhaustive wrestling nerd that he is has kept Tony S on his toes more often than his WCW coworkers ever did. 

Schiavone also sounds like he is having a lot of fun out there.  Whether he is directing traffic on Dynamite or mentoring Paul Wight on Elevation this sounds like a YOUNGER Tony than we got on late 1990s WCW.

David Crocket has been out of the game even longer than Schiavone.  We probably shouldn’t expect the same recharging of batteries with Crockett though.

Just call it a hunch.

Oh I'm not expecting it to be anything like JCP 86. But just having Tony and David in a pbp booth together in 2021 is freaking cool. My first vivid JCP memory was Magnum beating Wahoo in a cage for the US title on Worldwide in March 85, with Tony and David doing the call. I'm looking forward to some heartwarming nostalgia watching Elevation on Monday.

• Like 1

I just came up with a match that could sell out a stadium (The Linc in Philly):

MJF/Wardlow vs Nick Gage and Gritty.

Book it Tony!

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Kurt Angle told Fightful that AEW made an offer for him to have a run in the company and he turned them down. While flattered, he didn't feel he was physically up to it.

Impact also approached him for a one-off. 

Respect to Kurt Angle recognising that and not taking the offer up turning down the cash. Not many would. It's a shame Kurt's final match wasn't with someone better. So few last matches are great. Off the top of my head: Ricky Steamboat and Steve Austin. Shame Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels didn't stick to their career on the line matches.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Angle as a manager is such a perfect use of him, it's mind-boggling WWE didn't do it last time round. Then again it is WWE, so you know, Baron Corbin.

Trials of Jericho definitely feels like him ticking some stuff off his bucket list before he hangs it up, but I get the vibe Jericho will only 'retire' like most wrestlers 'retire'. He'll be back, even if he hangs it up as a full-time gig. If that is the case, strange that the first one was so innocuously against Spears.

• Like 1