DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Again, what split? You can't go from "Cody doesn't appear with the Bucks or Kenny" to making definitive statements. Also, why would that of all things lead to any sort of split in the first place considering that at that time they couldn't do Blood and Guts and had to pivot multiple times. Their whole fucking production in Florida got shut down and they wound up running the shows from QT's school in Georgia and had to book and produce 6 or some odd weeks of TV in a short amount of time before that got shut down too.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

That these people who pride themselves on long-term attention to detail would just drop Cody flat from Elite stuff and never make any effort to properly address it seems uncharacteristic and invites speculation. They're aware of this, and have chosen to skirt the issue which has allowed the speculation to fester and grow. If there really is a personal rift, they're of course under no obligation to consult the public on the matter. But the existence of these conversations is perfectly understandable. 

Maybe there's a rift, maybe they're laying track that will be useful for future storylines, maybe something else. I'm not super invested in whether or not these people have maintained their friendships, and thus am not terribly moved or convinced by impassioned rationalizations that lean in the direction of how everything is alright. Whatever's going on, I hope everyone finds themselves on decent enough terms that this speculation serves as the basis for some quality wrestling and storylines in the future that carry the whiff of authenticity. The most interesting possible Omega or Bucks matches for my taste at the moment would be against Cody Rhodes. So keep up the great work (or non-work), everyone. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Might be worth checking when they all did Jericho’s pod on the cruise a couple years ago.  Cody said he loves them all but isn't part of the Elite out of respect for them being that for so long.  When listening to it it made perfect sense to me.  So Cody doing his own thing is just an extension of that. 

But of course it's the internet where context doesn't matter.  Unless proven otherwise it's just speculation and not worth worrying about. 

• Like 1

The last time Cody was sharing a TV screen with another member of the Elite was when he and Kenny were co-commentating with Tony S, on the first of the Nightmare Factory mega-taping shows. Before Jericho showed up a day later.

Dark Order (5 & 10) vs Lucha Bros was absolutely amazing on Elevation.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dark Order (5 & 10) vs Lucha Bros was absolutely amazing on Elevation.

That whole Elevation was weird- actual matches instead of squashes.  I think Amber Nova got in more offense than Yuka Sakazaki.  And Tay Conti and Kris Statlander are a fun tagteam.

• Like 1

Danhausen and Gwarsenio Hall are not only two different people, Gwarsenio has even been on Goodnighthausen with Danhausen:

They put on fake human makeup together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DEAN said:

That whole Elevation was weird- actual matches instead of squashes.  I think Amber Nova got in more offense than Yuka Sakazaki.  And Tay Conti and Kris Statlander are a fun tagteam.

I bet you the squashes are on Dark this week. Notice how Hobbs wasn’t on Elevation tonight?

Fuego Vs. Scorp was dang good. Sky looked extra smooth.

Edit: Oh my Marko Vs. Angelico was good too. Though both matches had back to back finishes where a running boot set them up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't recall Dot Warner being a psychopath, though.

I thought all the Warner’s were crazy, and dangerous? That’s why they were locked up. I haven’t watched the pilot in a long time, but it always felt like they softened them up after episode one.

14 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I thought all the Warner’s were crazy, and dangerous? That’s why they were locked up. I haven’t watched the pilot in a long time, but it always felt like they softened them up after episode one.

Well, the premise set them up that way, but as you note the show didn't really present them as such. They were wacky and irrepressible, not psychotic and dangerous.

You guys weren’t wrong about Lucha Bros Vs. 5 & 10. Some really good tag action. Just watching these guys you’d think they were working this match up, and down the country.

Fenix just asking to go back on the DL with that dive at the end there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Second on the nifty Statlander-Conti duo.  Dug their bout.  Also dug Scorpio-Fuego.  Scorp's looking good with his solid heel offense.  Luchas-5/10 was a'ight.  So to Wardog and the Big Bear.  I liked what I saw of Pac-Taylor, but it didn't quite connect for me. 

I really like Marq Quen, but he needs to tighten his shit up.  A Jungle Boy-Marq Quen match should potentially steal any show they're on, especially this lowstakes card, but it absolutely did not.   

4 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I really like Marq Quen, but he needs to tighten his shit up.  A Jungle Boy-Marq Quen match should potentially steal any show they're on, especially this lowstakes card, but it absolutely did not. 

He looked sluggish, and slow. Like either he didn’t give a shit, or legitimately partied the night before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ewww… What was up with Miro’s arm on Elevation?

Edit: Maybe Smart Mark Sterling’s next client should be Keith Lee. Lee, Cardona, and Cargill would be a nice squad.

I just noticed his arm too...Man, I hope he's not injured or doesn't have some kind of weird staph infection. Last person I remember seeing with that kind of baseball knot on their arm was Cena, but that was on his elbow.

10 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Docking points from Show for missing the golden opportunity for “look at the adjective” when Kingston asked if this is where the big boys play.

Fun commentary throughout on this one

But you should add at least two for Schiavone throwing out a “bitch”, and getting passive aggressive about his weight. 

• Like 1