DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

I've been advocating for trios/six-man titles for a few months now, especially with the quality depth added towards the top of the card recently (Andrade, End/Black, and it sounds like Punk and Danielson are likely coming soon). You could easily do a 12 or 16 team tournament with quality depth, and I think would be a prefect addition as a Rampage anchor. In a perfect world, Rampage could be 1980's JCP Worldwide (which had a few big matches per year). I realistically expect that it will be a small step down from Dynamite, but still a very worthwhile venture to have another hour of AEW on regular TV (now I just wish that it also had a better time slot).

Early SD was about equal to Raw. It was redundant because the roster wasn't huge back then, but all the big names were on the show every week.

In AEW's case, they have a big enough roster to basically treat it like a 3 hour show split into 2 shows.

• Like 2

Another veteran with great fundamentals to help out. Good stuff. She's not physically in her prime these days (and has been selling a shoulder injury and a bad back) but I imagine she'd be very helpful leading most of their roster. Her tournament matches were damn good. If only they brought Veny in tho. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After he beats Black. 

Edit: well, Punk said he'd only come back if there was an interesting story. He's talked about Darby in the past iirc, so I think it'd be Punk vs. Darby and Omega vs. Bryan. Love both of those on paper. I'm interested in seeing how much Bryan changes his style away from the WWE routine. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

After he beats Black. 

Edit: well, Punk said he'd only come back if there was an interesting story. He's talked about Darby in the past iirc, so I think it'd be Punk vs. Darby and Omega vs. Bryan. Love both of those on paper. I'm interested in seeing how much Bryan changes his style away from the WWE routine. 

Those are the two I go with. Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson is the biggest AEW match there is. A dream match that by all accounts will actually happen. You go all out to sign the Greatest Wrestler of All Time. You still stick to the long term booking of Adam Page beating Omega for the AEW World Championship.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 11:54 AM, AxB said:

Malachai Black stole Anthony Ogogo's gimmick. Cody will spend the whole year fueding with one-eyed Europeans. PCO is coming in, and he'll be pretending to be French-French, not French-Canadian.

I woke up mid nap with a new one. European Dragon, Br-EYE-an Danielson. Thank you. I’ll see myself out.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:17 PM, Casey said:

She's not missing any time, though.

Man, TK getting Paige Van Zant to come in and do something after all the overtures wwe has made would be some shit. I’d lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Man, TK getting Paige Van Zant to come in and do something after all the overtures wwe has made would be some shit. I’d lol.

Based on what's she making in BKFC, she's going to come for a hefty price tag ($1 million but I'm definitely assuming it's not a million guaranteed). And based on the lack of draw she's been since she left UFC, I doubt she would be worth it. That said, I think she would be more worthwhile in pro wrestling than MMA or boxing. She's just average at best at fighting. As a fighter, she peaked five or six years ago. She's still young enough to where if she wanted learn how to wrestle, she could do that awhile and then have more than enough time to raise a family afterwards. Moreover, I think what she is probably making now has probably priced her out of Bellator if and when BKFC cuts bait (she's 0-2 on a four fight deal so it could be sooner rather than later). Her only options in a year or two will probably be WWE or AEW.

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

I figured she was doing pretty well with her OnlyFans-like site as well.

I wouldn't doubt it, but I doubt it's on the level of what she could paid as an athlete or TV star. The one thing that is probably (I would even lean towards likely) hurting her supplemental income is the fact she's no longer a UFC poster girl and BKFC isn't that visible out of niche fight fans. UFC got her on Dancing with the Stars. BKFC at best will probably get her in a C & D level celebrity softball game or something. She's doing way more for them (even if her PPVs aren't doing anything) than the promotion is doing for her. At least if she was with AEW, she could host or co-host some game show on TBS or do something else inside the extended WarnerMedia family. I would assume that same would go if she was with WWE and NBCUniversal and/or Fox. Hell, some of her fights years ago were on FS1 and Fox (one of the highest rated UFC on Fox shows was PVZ vs. Michelle Waterson). She couldn't land a gig there? 

• Like 1

I wonder if Vince deep down relates to TK. Both are silver spoon brats, though the difference being that one didn’t grow up in this business, but TK has basically created a “Family Owned Business” out of a wrestling promotion. This isn’t like the Turner Channel owned WCW that was built off the shell of an almost dead Crockett Promotions. AEW is quasi something we haven’t seen work as well as this.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:31 AM, Casey said:

I had a great time Saturday night anyway but if I knew MCW was coming back I would have gone to this.  So now I'm kind of bummed out I missed going to this but am still really happy for them.

Also, his fiancee lives in Harford County and is a friend of a friend.  So there's a very likely chance that I'll end up meeting them at some point which will be great.

• Like 2