DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Seeing AEW doing almost a 20k advance for what is still a blind card in NYC, I’m really curious what a potential card with Bryan/Omega on top, in a destination location and with enough advance notice for the international traveling audience, would pull. Could they sell out a football stadium in Chicago, NY or Vegas? Maybe not that many. Or baseball - Citi Field holds 45k and that feels achievable.

The biggest non WWE crowd in the past 30 years is what, the Goldberg Georgia Dome show? That drew 40k? I think they can top that.

An instant sellout is not enough. They would need to push it, and I’d say a unique baseball stadium would be perfect. Wrigley field or Fenway park would be amazing. 

17 minutes ago, matt925 said:

An instant sellout is not enough. They would need to push it, and I’d say a unique baseball stadium would be perfect. Wrigley field or Fenway park would be amazing. 

I love the Fenway idea. As a native Atlantan, I can think of a gorgeous new baseball park that holds a little over 40k right in the heart of WCW Country. That ballpark is also a short(ish) Uber ride from the busiest and most accessible airport in the world. Ideally you'd go for the non-WWE record in the stadium that the previous record took place in, but the Dome doesn't exist anymore. It's successor, MBS, is a cavernous monument to excessive government spending with zero character. AEW should go for it at Truist Park. The area surrounding it is gorgeous and set up to easily accommodate a crowd that size. 

Edited by just drew

5 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Unfortunately they did a second 40,000+ fans at the Georgia Dome.  I say unfortunately because the second dome show was 1/4/99.  

Main event saw the WCW World Heavyweight Title change hands.  The finish was a little something dubbed “The Finger Poke of Doom” by a few online. The entire show was garbage with no card announced before and 40,000+ fans in attendance.  All those LOYAL WCW fans in their home venue were treated to an afterthought of a card and a show long angle that set up the sham of an angle in the main event.  It was almost as if Bischoff and Pals were passive aggressively trying to take the company down intentionally.  

I was at both Dome shows. The first one made it cool to be wrestling fan. 40k diehards watching Goldberg go over the Immortal clean as a sheet. I was 15 years old high-fiving strangers and screaming like a child. Even my dad, who only took me because he liked spending time with me, managed a smile and an appreciative nod. 

The second one made me miss the Foley title win on tv. The finger-poke of doom felt like a middle finger to the fans so intense that it wouldn't be repeated until, imo, the "my friend Mark" speech Triple H gave in 2014. I remember feeling cheated. I worked extra shifts at my shitheel job to get good seats to that show, and that's what I got? Fuck that. I didn't watch WCW for almost a year after that, and I only watched then because some of the guys I liked were finally getting some run. 

Like I said earlier, AEW has a chance to write their own legacy in Atlanta. WWE just had to cancel a Smackdown live because of slow ticket sales. I think a string of lackluster shows has ruined a lot of goodwill with wrestling fans here. I mean, we got the worst Wrestlemania ever. The Dynamite we got was amazing, and fans showed up. It was like a concert. Insanely loud crowd. We deserve this. I am biased. I am making too big a deal of this. But dammit, we delivered the US Senate from the hands of lunatics and we deserve to break the non-WWE wrestling show crowd record in our shiny ass new baseball park. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 10

Wouldn't it be funny if one of the Labours of Jericho was Fandango? Mania rematch, all these years later?

Or bringing Suge D back for vengeance, either way.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You thought the Godzilla vs Kong plugs were shoehorned in? How many times do the announcers call Luchasaurus AEW's green monster?

Oof, I just now thought about how much worse Luchasaurus's kicks are gonna look with Malakai Black around... ?

• Haha 3

I'm a little surprised that Punk's MMA performances don't seem to be dampening enthusiasm for a potential return to pro wrestling.

If I were one of the EVPs, or anybody else with backstage pull in AEW, I'd tell Tony Khan "I'm not selling for that guy. And we both know he can't make me."

OK, not really. But I'd have a lot of respect for anyone who did say that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I'm a little surprised that Punk's MMA performances don't seem to be dampening enthusiasm for a potential return to pro wrestling.

If I were one of the EVPs, or anybody else with backstage pull in AEW, I'd tell Tony Khan "I'm not selling for that guy. And we both know he can't make me."

I'm immediately thinking of two EVP's that CM Punk would beat like a rented mule. 

But I do think they'll have to be careful who they program him with, at least initially. Or shit, make that the story. Punk earning respect from the Miros and Lance Archers of the world by how he's hanging in with them.

• Haha 2

i was hoping for a long time that Thunder Rosa would sign with AEW.   Now they have their top two with her and Dr. Britt.  Tay Conti,  Jade Cargill, Red Velvet all have potential.  i like what they're building.  For the longest time the women's division was the weakest part of the roster. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i was hoping for a long time that Thunder Rosa would sign with AEW.   Now they have their top two with her and Dr. Britt.  Tay Conti,  Jade Cargill, Red Velvet all have potential.  i like what they're building.  For the longest time the women's division was the weakest part of the roster. 

There’s room to add, too. I’d love to see Ruby, Cassie & Jessie there. Ruby to work and J&C to do some entertaining shit. Also, you left Statlander & Anna Jay off your potential list.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I'm gonna make sure I don't lose a bar fight in your territory, just in case I want to get booked...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Two of the seventeen posts on this account are about me. I take this as an absolute win. Thank you and you're welcome.

So I was right.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Statlander is a future World Champion. You've also not listed Shida and Deeb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Re: Punk

I believe he's said I'm the past that he would only come back if there was something incredibly interesting. I don't see him working with guys he worked with in the WWE...

But a program with Darby? That would be intriguing as hell if I were Punk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I’m just waiting for TK to name the Arthur Ashe Stadium show “Final Countdown” or some shit.

It's already called Grand Slam.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

3 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Statlander is a future World Champion. You've also not listed Shida and Deeb. 

Of those names I see Thunder Rosa, Serena Deeb and Tay Conti as future AEW Women's World Champion.

• Like 1

I agree with mostly everything everyone is saying about the womens division. If I were booking the next couple years I'd go Britt current reign -> Rosa -> Britt -> Deeb -> Rosa -> ???  Statlander and Conti are future champions 100% and Shida should definitely get it back at some point too. It's a good problem to have.

• Like 1

Don't normally fantasy book. I'd go.

AEW World Championship: Kenny Omega > Adam Hangman Page.

TNT Championship: Miro > John Silver.

AEW World Tag Team Championship: Young Bucks > FTR.

AEW Women's Championship: Dr. Britt Baker > Serena Deeb.

Hardest choice was deciding the next AEW World Tag Team Champions and next AEW Women's World Champion. Bucks owe them a loss and it should be FTR having their long reign right now. I can see the Bucks dethroned by Santana and Ortiz instead.

Edited by The Natural

I'd be surprised if Jungle Boy isn't next in line for one of the lower titles. I could see him beating Miro, but perhaps more likely is Jurassic Express dethroning the Bucks, then dropping to FTR not too long after.

Bryan/Omega, while it doesn't need the title, seems like such a 2021 dream match that Hangman might be a taking a slightly longer swig of his stadium beer.

14 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'd be surprised if Jungle Boy isn't next in line for one of the lower titles. I could see him beating Miro, but perhaps more likely is Jurassic Express dethroning the Bucks, then dropping to FTR not too long after.

Bryan/Omega, while it doesn't need the title, seems like such a 2021 dream match that Hangman might be a taking a slightly longer swig of his stadium beer.

Nah, Hangman's gonna get it. Even if they decide some other hypothetical match *did* need the belt, I think the better thing is to give Hangman what you think is the happy ending, but it turns out to be just a taste. Like, loses it in his first defense, spirals down deeper until the eventual second reign. But again, that's less than ideal I think; you risk burning people. 

• Like 1