DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

Hey! This looks pretty Clubberin'. 

EDIT: Hoo that was a hot opener! Dudes were working hard, kept it in a good length, really liked this. I remember hating Glacier and digging Mortis as a kid, totally neutral on Wrath. The Cat was of course much hated but in retrospect hilarious. "I'm the greatest! You people make me sick."

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

I always dug Wrath and especially Mortis. Glacier always came off as lame to me. But I think it was his face / early 90s Sting hair. I did not like Glacier or Ernest Miller in ring in WCW. They just screamed karate guys to me. Karate didn't impress me. Being able to take a karate technique and make it flow into a wrestling spot was what popped me. Like 123 Kid's doing his backflip counter to a hiptoss then pulling a spinwheel kick out of nowhere. But the lame karate fighting stance, kick, block, kick stuff was pretty dull compared to the cruiserweights and the hosses throwing bombs at each other on the rest of the card.

Ernest Miller was tremendous at talking shit. My friends and I still laugh about the NWO sending out Scott Norton when Miller was yelling for someone to come fight him. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

We all loved Earnest Miller, right? Dude was awesome. I got some “not sure if serious” vibes over the past page on this topic.

He was pretty good as The Ayatollah in The Wrestler. That's all I got.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

We all loved Earnest Miller, right? Dude was awesome. I got some “not sure if serious” vibes over the past page on this topic.

Miller was fun once he started talking shit and had a personality. the aforementioned Norton bit is a favorite of mine as well.

but BRC Miller was a lame karate guy that sucked bell-to-bell and offered little else.

p.s. this time i'm not drunk, although i AM drinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love Ernest Miller. Karate Cat, Commissioner Cat, all of it. I went down a shoot interview rabbit hole a while ago on YT, and found one with (I think?) RF where they're talking about Miller supposedly teaching celebrities karate. Maybe-RF asks him what celebrities, and he's like "One you might have heard of is Usher Raymond. You don't believe me, bitch?" I about died. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was 11 when I went to Superbrawl Revenge, and I distinctly remember asking my Dad if we could go to the merch stand during Ernest Miller vs Lance Storm. Maybe it was because I had just sat through a lot of matches, maybe it was because the previous match was Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell against a member of KroniK... but maybe it was because Ernest Miller sucked.

The bright side is I got a little plush doll of the Big Bad Booty Daddy. The downside is that nobody in the arena that night cared about the show, because... well, one, it was WCW and tickets were dirt cheap anyway (they eventually moved everyone closer to the ring because they didn't sell a lot of tickets), but also it's Tennessee and this is NASCAR country and that happened to be the day that Dale Earnhardt died.

• Haha 1

I remember that day specifically because the day after we had to sit in algebra class in a room where the sketchy, weird-ass teacher (I always thought he was an ex-tweaker) always had his room dressed top to bottom in Earnhardt stuff. He seemed fine, just weird as usual, but I'm sure that guy was in some pain. Maybe if I'd gone over and told him sorry I wouldn't have got straight Ds... but probably not.

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I wasn't a "smart" fan at 10 years old but I read the magazines and I'd rent all the old tapes by then. I was definitely a work rate guy even if I didn't know what that was but for some reason I enjoyed Earnest Miller from the beginning. He certainly wasn't a workrate guy but he was good at working a martial arts style that was good enough for pro wrestling. He had a natural charisma that he really got to show later on. I was happy to see him in WWE, Velocity was probably my favorite show and he was a really good Commentator. I'm actually surprised that he got to have a run as a Wrestler before he was a Commentator. He was still very good as an inring talent and still very over but in hindsight I wish he started wrestling first in WWE then did commentary later because he probably would've lasted longer. Really I was on Instagram and I seen a clip of Teddy Long being announced as the Smackdown general manager and it was definitely cool that he got to have probably the most memorable and longer overall run as a GM because he was still very good as a manager but that GM role definitely let him so more range as a personality but honestly Earnest Miller could've worked just as well. I was actually surprised he didn't have a deep wrestling background like Glacier did and that he was just a Bischoff guy. I think he did well

• Like 4

As a 10/11 year old, I LOVED Glacier, Wrath and Mortis. Glacier's entrance was one of my favorites and I loved the gear that Wrath and Mortis had. I am sure some of my nostalgia for that era is rose colored glasses since it was when I first got seriously into wrestling but my ideal wrestling shows are C-shows. I loved Saturday Night and Worldwide. As a result, I love when AEW skews close to that type of show. WWE doesn't do it. NXT is as close as they get and it's no coincidence that it's the only WWE related thing I watch, outside of PPVs. Miller always made me laugh and I popped big for that Rumble dance spot he had. 

Seeing @Gordberg's post, what should I check out for Alexander Otsuka? I am a shoot style novice. Heck, an MMA novice really (outside of a few early UFC videos I rented as a kid because I'd heard they were "the most violent things ever. People DIE!!!~~!~~!") so if hes's not a good person to lure me into the world of shoot-style, where do I start? (Maybe I should spin this off into a thread, if one doesn't exist. If someone else doesn't in the next day, I will.)

• Like 2

Some online friends were going crazy over the big surprise at the end of the Impact PPV... and yeah, that's a pretty good surprise, and it portends interesting things moving forward... and there is a lot of that going on these days. A lot of nice surprises that make it seem like crazy things are going to be happening soon.

Plus, that insanely great live crowd at the Texas Dynamite... hopefully that portends a lot of white hot sold out crowds in pro wrestling's near future. People who have been starved for live entertainment and are just wildly delighted to finally be getting their fill...

It really feels like right now is a very good time to be a pro wrestling fan, and things are absolutely poised to get even better.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

Some online friends were going crazy over the big surprise at the end of the Impact PPV... and yeah, that's a pretty good surprise, and it portends interesting things moving forward... and there is a lot of that going on these days. A lot of nice surprises that make it seem like crazy things are going to be happening soon.

Plus, that insanely great live crowd at the Texas Dynamite... hopefully that portends a lot of white hot sold out crowds in pro wrestling's near future. People who have been starved for live entertainment and are just wildly delighted to finally be getting their fill...

It really feels like right now is a very good time to be a pro wrestling fan, and things are absolutely poised to get even better.

I agree with this 100%. During the lockdown, I wasn't really into wrestling. I kept up with results but that's it, for the most part. This past week I've been watching shows and getting into it again. Live crowds really make such a difference. I have no desire to watch anything WWE except for NXT and possibly the ppvs but there's so much else to enjoy that it doesn't even matter.

I put this in the Discord but there's like 3 of us there so I'll add it here. Are the Briscoe Brothers the best tag team to not make it to WWE? I know some people still have a problem with them due to the homophobia and, yeah, that's a big stumbling block. Luckily, as far as I know, it hasn't been a reoccuring issue like with other public figures I once was interested in (or in the case of *coughMORRISSEYcough* was an obsessive depressed nerd over) so I can hope that things have evolved on that front and not know any different (unless something was said that I missed in which case, damn.) I will admit I haven't seen anything they've done in Japan, outside of some NJPW stuff. Is their NOAH stuff worth seeking out? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:Is their NOAH stuff worth seeking out? 

I’d say probably no.

They had a decent tag match during a tournament with Ibushi (no idea who his partner was) that I had a killer finish.  Ibushi was up on the shoulders for the springboard doomsday device. Ibushi caught the Briscoe in mid air and turned it into a C4 and the 3.  

As memorable as that finish was the Briscoes didn’t go to Japan enough to truly get over. 

18 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’d say probably no.

They had a decent tag match during a tournament with Ibushi (no idea who his partner was) that I had a killer finish.  Ibushi was up on the shoulders for the springboard doomsday device. Ibushi caught the Briscoe in mid air and turned it into a C4 and the 3.  

I think you may be thinking of Kotaro Suzuki & Ricky Marvin for the GHC Jr. Tag belts. They did work with Ibushi a few times though around that period for the Nippon TV Jr. Tag League. The first one with Ibushi & Marufuji, the other with Ibushi & Nakajima.

That spot might’ve been re-used against Ibushi & Nakajima, I’m not sure. I’ll have to dig through tapes to see.

Don’t bother with the New Japan stuff for the Briscoes. It doesn’t compare to the NOAH stuff, and Mini-Steiner Briscoes wearing basketball shorts > Backwoods Briscoes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

WWE's deal with Hulu is expiring soon, Hulu hosts next-day video on demand access in the U.S. to both red and blue brands and various in ring content, also Hulu airs episodes of WWE Main Event.

Notes about pro wrestling ticket sales:

Certain markets for both WWE and AEW shows are doing good tickets sales.

For AEW Dynamite Grand Slam, 15,165 have been sold.

Some events for WWE require proof of vaccination, which is effecting the MSG show sales.

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Notes about pro wrestling ticket sales:

Certain markets for both WWE and AEW shows are doing good tickets sales.

For AEW Dynamite Grand Slam, 15,165 have been sold.

Some events for WWE require proof of vaccination, which is effecting the MSG show sales.

I was kind of wondering about that. Dynamite Grand Slam is the first event I've had tickets for since COVID, so I was expecting to at least be asked by Ticketmaster or something. The only mention of it really was when they (successfully) pushed the cancellation insurance on me. It was like an extra $17 bucks a ticket, but I said whatever, just because who knows what's gonna be going on with this delta variant by then. Kids will have been back in school for 2-3 weeks by then, could get hairy

Apparently any Americans who had retained their pre-Peacock WWE Network subscriptions to watch via VPNs have now been blocked from accessing it. Just in time for the PPV tonight.