DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I thought Punk did a pretty good job when he was on the Raw announce team

Yeah, if it wasn't for MMA ruining his record, Punk was pretty succesful/good at everything he did! How did that comic-thingy turn out? Does anyone who knows care to elaborate?

So I brought up how the WWE was running a "Supershow" on 9/11 in DC

What I didn't realize was that the 9/10 SDL TV show (being held in Madison Square Garden) is now a "Supershow" (which Meltzer says the change was made due to "so-so ticket sales")

So yeah NY/DC/NY that weekend is most definitely a.... choice

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Is 9/11 really something that is really observed/morned anymore?  You get the usual "where were you when" articles and whatnot, but it's not exactly a big national holiday or anything.  

It is the 20th anniversary this year - and again it is the specific cities they are running

I think the only reason they aren't running MSG on 9/11 proper is because MLB is already exploiting the Yanks/Mets game for it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alstein said:

The Ric Flair commericals for Carshield were what replaced the Mypillow guy after he became too toxic for even Sinclair.

I was watching the first Terminator movie on CW and that fucker was on every commercial break.  Then after seeing it I found that I could have watched it on Youtube and immediately regretted my earlier life choices.  But hey, when the movie's that damn good it's funny what I'll put up with to watch it.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So I brought up how the WWE was running a "Supershow" on 9/11 in DC

What I didn't realize was that the 9/10 SDL TV show (being held in Madison Square Garden) is now a "Supershow" (which Meltzer says the change was made due to "so-so ticket sales")

So yeah NY/DC/NY that weekend is most definitely a.... choice

Just checked TicketScammer and the get in price for the MSG show is $56.

And now you know why nobody is buying them.

17 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I was trying to bring my daughter to her first WWE show (after watching tons of my Indy/ROH events since she was a baby), but the cost to attend Smackdown in Cleveland is just too high. 

That sucks! I do assume you mean the actual monetary cost of the tickets, transport etc., not the potential cost to your young daughter's psyche of attending Smackdown in Cleveland?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

So in light of the talk about Dynamite Grand Slam and ticket prices and such, I went on aewtix.com just to see if they had a seating chart yet, prices, etc. As soon as I clicked the link to go to Ticketmaster, I got a message that said the event has been rescheduled to November 5 at 7 PM. I have literally not seen anything about this anywhere, so I'm either 1) out of the loop and missed a change 2) breaking a story? or 3) Ticketmaster's site is wrong

That looks like a Ticketmaster blunder, they linked to the November 5th Rampage show in St Louis.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That looks like a Ticketmaster blunder, they linked to the November 5th Rampage show in St Louis.

Thanks man. I figured it would be kind of weird to move that one and not Newark but the only place it had the correct date was the previous page I was linked from, so I thought it was totally legit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s got tech? I thought he just took screens from Ticketmaster’s app.

He’s got some kind of software program that counts every individual seat. So the numbers are accurate. 

17 minutes ago, matt925 said:

He’s got some kind of software program that counts every individual seat. So the numbers are accurate. 

Man, we really are so far removed from like, relying on numbers from a guy knowing a guy who knows a lady who lives near Zane Bresloff. Never really thought about it, but it's kind of cool

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 1:12 PM, For Great Justice said:

Random thought here, but I've been watching a ton of Terry Funk lately given his recent news and I'm more convinced than ever that he's the most talented pro wrestler who ever lived. He could do absolutely anything at a level that I think only Eddie Guerrero can rival historically. MOTDC's across multiple decades in a variety of styles, in a variety of roles, against a variety of opponents at various levels of the card, all while drawing money. 

It's always hard to say "best", but I'm going to say he's the most talented. Dude can truly do anything at an elite level and make whoever he's working for money while doing it.

Sometimes I think about my super-short list of guys who where great in every category ; in ring, promo, character/gimmick/look , charisma/audience connection. It's Eddie, Foley, Flair, Savage, Austin, Rock,  probably Terry should be on their as well as well as Dusty 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That sucks! I do assume you mean the actual monetary cost of the tickets, transport etc., not the potential cost to your young daughter's psyche of attending Smackdown in Cleveland?

I'm going to assume you're dissing Smackdown and not Cleveland. Nobody wants a restart of the US-Finland conflict.

One of the great things about Eddie and Funk is that in addition to working any style they’re guys who you could put anywhere on the card, face or heel, and they would fill their role perfectly. They’re true pros who would do the job asked of them and do it well.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Sometimes I think about my super-short list of guys who where great in every category ; in ring, promo, character/gimmick/look , charisma/audience connection. It's Eddie, Foley, Flair, Savage, Austin, Rock,  probably Terry should be on their as well as well as Dusty 

I think that if The Rock counts, then Kurt Angle deserves a mention, and if Austin counts, then Shawn Michaels deserves a mention. I am not a fan of Michaels, but I think him staying over in the 21st century is a testament to his connection with the general fanbase. 

I don't think Dusty was anywhere near Terry's league in any respect. I like Dusty okay, but I think he was more personality than charisma. His personality was cooler than most and it got him very far, but I remember that as a toddler, i connected more with laughing Jim Neidhart than I did polka-dot Dusty. 

I rate Hogan really highly in the promo/look/charisma/in-ring scale. Bret and Steiner as well.

However, when you have to leave out guys like Hero, Super Dragon, Little Dixie, Bryan, the Briscoes, Austin Aries, Gulak, and Gallagher because of the scale, I get frustrated, because their charisma is up there and the promos never even mattered. Biff Busick was over like rover without cutting promos or looking like a top-star, not to mention someone like Fujiwara who had personality in spades but didn't put it out there outside of the ring. What about Juventud and Psicosis? Vampiro and Konnan? Candido and Raven? The Destroyer? Andre?

These guys had charisma where your Colt Cabanas, George Steeles, and Animals had mere personality. 

Foley, Flair, and Savage are undeniable, but I think Filthy Tom and Brock Lesnar are up there in all-roundedness. 

I am leaving out Rey. I don't think anyone really buys Rey as a heavyweight and I think that's where his charisma falls short. Maybe in his younger days? 

Low Ki is another guy, as much as I love him, I  don't think he's for everyone. 

Funk and Lawler make Jericho seem like Lance Storm and Lance Storm seem like Petey Williams.

and then, there's this guy, he's been around longer than anyone, Eddie Kingston~!

i love lists