DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I've been working on a list of wrestler names on a Google doc since right before the pandemic. Maybe I'll get lit at an indie show and confront Chuck Taylor with them, I don't know. But the list is getting too big and I have to make some cuts. I'll never give away the really good ones for free, these are the ones on the bubble-

Uan "Bank Shot" Uarez
"Fruit on the Bottom" Clementine Mooney
Problematico (aka Problem the Main Man)
"The French Vanilla Midget" Leopold Littleboeuf
Oprah Nagurski

The best name that nobody laughs at but me-

Robin "The Dogg" Finch

Cool. I put in the simple life living, wholesome and earnest redneck truck driver called "Prince Boy" George Michael Jackson. Named (and nicknamed) by her 80's music loving mother, who moved to the big city early in his life. Therefore, he has no idea why people react to his name in myriad of different ways.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, quackhell said:

Suge speaking the truth to a situation that hit him very close.

I read the apology, and I immediately knew Starr was still bullshitting when he said he was "seeing 3 therapists simultaneously".

11 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Love it.

Id like to offer up the "Real Taste of Italy" Pete Zas.

He is accompanied to the ring by his "side dishes"; Ann Chovy, Mary Narra & Faye Tuchini.

ban plz

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Can’t David Starr just admit that he’s a sleaze ball, and live with it? I think that’s my main issue with him, because lord knows all my favorite wrestlers weren’t angels, but they’ll come to terms with it, and accept who they are, like Flair. 

Starr is very much like Hogan in that sense. Just constantly BS’ing about their real personalities.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Love it.

Id like to offer up the "Real Taste of Italy" Pete Zas.

He is accompanied to the ring by his "side dishes"; Ann Chovy, Mary Narra & Faye Tuchini.

Oh, like "pizzas" , ok! Until I saw the sidedishes, I was a bit puzzled as to why do you consider "Pete's ass" the real taste of Italy, but I get it now! Awesome!

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Can’t David Starr just admit that he’s a sleaze ball, and live with it? I think that’s my main issue with him, because lord knows all my favorite wrestlers weren’t angels, but they’ll come to terms with it, and accept who they are, like Flair. 

Starr is very much like Hogan in that sense. Just constantly BS’ing about their real personalities.

The fact that he won't even drop his gimmick name to write his non-apology (coupled with the fact that the first he says is a denial of guilt)  pretty strongly implies that he's not prepared to embrace his own shittiness, no.

One of the things that separates wrestling fans from normal people? You ask a normal person "Who is the dirt worst human being you ever shook hands with?", they'll probably need to have a think about it before they answer. Wrestling fans (who go to shows)? They'll have a top five ready.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has a problem with connecting with AEW's product? I haven't really been able to put my finger on what it is that I'm not connecting with but whenever I do watch it I just don't really feel much of anything about it. I don't think the presentation is particularly bad and while I'm not an overall fan of the overall style of wrestling, I've seen good matches and the overall match quality is probably better than MLW which I enjoy a lot more. It just seems weird to me that as someone that can generally just sit down and watch anything when it comes to wrestling that watching AEW for whatever reason just leads to indifference.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

The fact that he won't even drop his gimmick name to write his non-apology (coupled with the fact that the first he says is a denial of guilt)  pretty strongly implies that he's not prepared to embrace his own shittiness, no.

One of the things that separates wrestling fans from normal people? You ask a normal person "Who is the dirt worst human being you ever shook hands with?", they'll probably need to have a think about it before they answer. Wrestling fans (who go to shows)? They'll have a top five ready.

Great, now I'm going to spend the rest of the day thinking about who the worst person I ever shook hands with was.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

A bit if a newsflash- but wrestlers aren't any different than the average person. Their lives are just researched and analyzed to death by fanatics on the internet. 

29 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

I was wondering if anyone else out there has a problem with connecting with AEW's product? I haven't really been able to put my finger on what it is that I'm not connecting with but whenever I do watch it I just don't really feel much of anything about it. I don't think the presentation is particularly bad and while I'm not an overall fan of the overall style of wrestling, I've seen good matches and the overall match quality is probably better than MLW which I enjoy a lot more. It just seems weird to me that as someone that can generally just sit down and watch anything when it comes to wrestling that watching AEW for whatever reason just leads to indifference.

Very much so. I watch Dynamite regularly (in fact, it’s the only TV wrestling I watch regularly), if not always weekly. They do some stuff I like. The wrestling is usually pretty good. They have a bunch of my current favorites and a few of my all time favorites (thinking of Kingston there). I don’t have a lot of negatives that I’d sling their way. All that said, I don’t think I could say that I care about it at all. It sometimes feels like I turn it on to pass the time, mostly. 

Kind of combining two earlier topics (David Starr / gimmick names) but I only just realised that David Starr was called David Starr because he was Jewish.  

I am so oblivious to stuff like that.  That’s why I like 80’s WWF and Chikara gimmicks, there is no ambiguity with those ones!

1 hour ago, blitzkrieg said:

I can't either. I never watched during the Monday Night Wars nor am I a fan of 'The Elite'. It doesn't connect with me. I just moved on. It just wasn't for me. Plenty of other promotions out there. 

1 hour ago, blitzkrieg said:

It's the Young Bucks. Don't ask why. Just trust me. It's the Young Bucks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Kind of combining two earlier topics (David Starr / gimmick names) but I only just realised that David Starr was called David Starr because he was Jewish.  

I am so oblivious to stuff like that.  That’s why I like 80’s WWF and Chikara gimmicks, there is no ambiguity with those ones!

Yeah, didn't make the connection either, until someone really pointed it out and then it was "Right, I'll be damned! So it is! "

I wish I knew who the worst person I've shaken hands with.  I've met my share of scumbags and liars, but, eh, I probably knew what they were.  

I'm guessing the worst person sold me a line of bs about how great they were and were smart and slick enough to get me to buy it.  Granted, that narrows the field of "suspects" to about 60% of everyone on social media plus a fair number of people I've met in real life.

Edited by Eoae

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I wish I knew who the worst person I've shaken hands with.  I've met my share of scumbags and liars, but, eh, I probably knew what they were.  

I'm guessing the worst person sold me a line of bs about how great they were and were smart and slick enough to get me to buy it.  Granted, that narrows the field of "suspects" to about 60% of everyone on social media plus a fair number of people I've met in real life.

Mine is Chris Benoit, and I shook his hand not all that long before the events that made him the worst person I've ever shaken hands with. 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

The pandemic shows are just very repetitive and predictable now. We’ll see how things fair with the return of an actual audience. Hopefully more let’s make stars booking and less hey let’s get that Bucks run out of the way before one of them goes bald channel change booking. 

Is MLW still on Vice?  They were airing at noon on Saturdays, but the show hasn't appeared in the channel guide for several weeks and isn't listed this weekend.  Did they change timeslots?  Get canceled?

FYI: I know there's a MLW thread in the indy forum.  I asked this same question there last week without any luck.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Is MLW still on Vice?  They were airing at noon on Saturdays, but the show hasn't appeared in the channel guide for several weeks and isn't listed this weekend.  Did they change timeslots?  Get canceled?

FYI: I know there's a MLW thread in the indy forum.  I asked this same question there last week without any luck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

The worst person I was friends with murdered her husband and children and is now on Death Row.  That's gonna be a hard hurdle for anybody else to jump.

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

A bit if a newsflash- but wrestlers aren't any different than the average person. Their lives are just researched and analyzed to death by fanatics on the internet. 

The sleaze thread might argue differently.

7 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

You're not alone. 

I think I'm generally done with modern wrestling, tbh. It's just not for me from an aesthetic standpoint or a characterization standpoint or a "how wrestlers and bookers execute standard tropes" standpoint. 

7 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

the good thing about AEW is that it's kinda like if an Efed were real

the bad thing about AEW is also that it's kinda like if an Efed were real.

I love that there's a big money alternative to the WWE for us to watch and for wrestlers to work in. I'm glad everybody has some nominal degree of creative control over their presentation.  However, the latter is a double edged sword and it can, and often has, led to a disjointed feel to the show as a whole episode of television.  In the ol' tropes thread we had sometime last year I talked about how one of my least favorite stressors on Suspension Of Disbelief is when wrestlers seem to be hermetically sealed in their own storyline.  It's bad enough when people seem to have no thoughts, cares, or comments about the other goings on of their workplace as happens all too often with the WWE (The Fiend being literally set on fire being my favorite recent example; if someone were deliberately burned at my workplace you can be damn sure I would have some THOUGHTS about it whether it happened on my shift or not. In fact I daresay I would reconsider my working there. Ya know?) But it gets exacerbated when the very narrative rules are also in flux from segment to segment, and AEW is, at its worst, efedesque in this tendency. It was the biggest weakness of the old time PBEM efeds of two decades ago: everyone writes their own match/segment to help the booker/fedhead out and thus nobody knows what's going on up and down the card around them and how well or how poorly what they do is gonna jive with the rest, and so of course it invariably jives poorly.  Worst is when you'd have someone trying to play old school Hide The Foreign Object From The Ref in their bout, and it's sandwiched between two hardcore deathmatches where chairs and ladders get used like wristlocks.  AEW has whiplashed me more than once this way.  It's like:  I like a good scifi story. I like a good western. I don't want to see a show go back and forth between the two every commercial break. Unless it's actually an absurdist comedy where that dischordance is the very point. But then, if it is, don't expect me to laugh half the time and take the other half seriously, either.

I think, back when Dynamite started, someone on here described AEW as being a hybrid of WCW and PWG.  I like that description and I like the idea of the attempt to be simultaneously new and vintage  (ECW, after all, had a lot more Memphis under the hood than anyone admitted/realized).  It's just hard to be both of those at the same time and AEW's punches don't always land.

I think I like AEW more as a singles band than as an album band sometimes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

all that aside, though, I am sick to god damn death of SHOCKED FACE kickouts in modern wrestling.  (AEW certainly isn't the only sinner here or even necessarily the most repeat offender but boy do they do their fair share of it early and often)

The only thing shocking about shocking kickouts is that any ostensible professional is still shocked by them.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 5