DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

We enter the second half of 2021. Touring resumes in WWE and ECW. Since we're halfway through the year, what is currently your MOTY? Mine is still Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker from AEW Dynamite, *****.

• Like 1

Match of the year for me currently is either Jeff Cobb vs Shingo or Walter vs Ciampa. America seems to have reopened but the rest of the world still has to deal with covid restrictions, curious how the rest of 2021 plays out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Match of the year for me currently is either Jeff Cobb vs Shingo or Walter vs Ciampa. America seems to have reopened but the rest of the world still has to deal with covid restrictions, curious how the rest of 2021 plays out.

Good picks and yeah, interesting to see how the rest of the year goes. AEW handled the pandemic era better than anyone. My favourite wrestling company to watch since 2020 replacing NJPW.

• Like 1

I have no clue about the context of the match and why it happened, etc. And I've probably seen like 4 STARDOM matches in my life, but I think Tam Nakano vs. Giulia is my pick for this year (so far). Right behind it is Serena Deeb vs Riho from Double or Nothing. Which I'm shocked at how much I liked it, since I'm not a fan of Riho at all.

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have no clue about the context of the match and why it happened, etc. And I've probably seen like 4 STARDOM matches in my life, but I think Tam Nakano vs. Giulia is my pick for this year (so far). Right behind it is Serena Deeb vs Riho from Double or Nothing. Which I'm shocked at how much I liked it, since I'm not a fan of Riho at all.

Still need to see that. It's nice when something over delivers on low expectations. I'm not much of a fan of Riho ever. Don't like her frilly gear either.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Walter v Ciampa

Great match with WALTER's biggest weapon, the chop compromised by chopping the announcers table but still used it to win. Ciampa's running clothesline on repeat as well. Hope we still get WALTER vs. Finn Balor. We need WALTER back in an NXT TakeOver ASAP.

Utami/Syuri is my MOTY so far. Its the best match Stardom has had since Bushiroad took over and a career performance from both women. After that its Roman/Bryan from Smackdown. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I have no clue about the context of the match and why it happened, etc. And I've probably seen like 4 STARDOM matches in my life, but I think Tam Nakano vs. Giulia is my pick for this year (so far).

It was the 4th match between the two within a year and the third for the Wonder of Stardom Title which is Stardom's secondary belt (IC/US/etc.). Giulia had already beaten Tam for the title twice before so she wanted Tam to put her hair the on the line along with herself. 

• Like 1

Can't quote from a dead thread, but Curt McGirt recently said that New Look Otis needs to shave his head as well. True, I say, but take it all the way, Otis, and shave your head, put on thee black butcher singlet and start demanding a 5 count for your pinfalls. What this country needs now is a new King Kong Bundy.

- RAF

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Can't quote from a dead thread, but Curt McGirt recently said that New Look Otis needs to shave his head as well. True, I say, but take it all the way, Otis, and shave your head, put on thee black butcher singlet and start demanding a 5 count for your pinfalls. What this country needs now is a new King Kong Bundy.

- RAF

I mean, you could have saved Braun Stroman's job if you'd suggested this a month ago.

Now I'm wondering what Stroman looks like without his beard.

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

We enter the second half of 2021. Touring resumes in WWE and ECW. Since we're halfway through the year, what is currently your MOTY? Mine is still Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker from AEW Dynamite, *****.

whoa, ECW is touring again? looking forward to Raven vs. Dreamer and Cactus vs. Sabu. ?

right there with you on Thunder Rosa vs. Britt Baker DMD being my #1 MOTY.

• Like 3

I really liked some of the tag matches in AEW, probably the YB/Eddie and Mox, and YB/PAC and Fenix. I also really loved Sammy/MJF from last night. I don't mean to parrot Dave but I really thought that was one of the best AEW matches in history. Maybe top 5 or 7, definitely 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Throw my vote for Utami/Syuri as MOTY so far.  Just all out at physical war that feels like an opening chapter to a great feud.

They planned to do an LA show in 2020, I pray they bring this match here in the not too distant future. 

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

Now I'm wondering what Stroman looks like without his beard.

With his eyes being weirdly close together I expected him to have a concave chin or something but he just kind of looks like an oversized bro

YjicVE9l.png

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Thanks 1

So far Syuri/Utami is the runaway best match for me, though I really dug the Tatsumi/Miyu title change in TJPW (I was pulling for Tatsumi to retain but Miyu is the Ace with or without the belt). I'm watching more Joshi  than anything thee days just because WWe and AEW just dull asfuck to me

James

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

What this country needs now is a new King Kong Bundy.

You are psychic. I was thinking "man if he shaves it all off he will look way too much like Bundy. He needs a short mohawk and some stubble... like Vader."

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
11 hours ago, quackhell said:

My MOTY is Utami Hayashishita vs Syuri for the World of Stardom Title on 6/12. Stardom consistently produces amazing matches and this is a prime example. 

Just watched this. Incredible stuff. Can you recommend any other Stardom matches? I haven't seen many.

25 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Just watched this. Incredible stuff. Can you recommend any other Stardom matches? I haven't seen many.

Io Shirai vs. Momo Watanabe, Io vs. Kairi Hojo, Io vs. Mayu Iwatani, Io vs. Arisa Nakajima, Io vs. Kyoko Kimura, Kairi vs. Meiko Satomura, Io vs. vs. Meiko, Io vs. Yoshiko, Io vs. Viper/Piper McNiven, Kairi vs. Viper, Mayu vs. Takumi Iroha, Kairi vs. Iroha, Io vs. Iroha, Momo vs. Hazuki, Momo vs. Jungle Kyona, Arisa Hoshiki vs. Tam Nakano, Hoshiki vs. Hazuki, Hoshiki vs. Kyona, Kagestu vs. Hazuki, Kagestu vs. Toni Storm, Kagetsu/Mayu vs. Momo/Jungle.

I could name more, but I'm lazy, hence the lack of dates. Honestly, you probably shouldn't need them. Most of those range from solid-great, even the lesser ones.

• Like 3

I subscribed to stardom world after all the hype about utami/syuri. Blown away by the match. Chose a starting point of the budokan hall 10th anniversary show to catch up and have been watching everything since. Just really great, fun stuff. All the matches are good. Lots of personality and charisma, they put subtitles on the promos so you can follow. Really enjoying it. If they do a show in LA I will be very excited to travel down from the Bay Area. 

Edit: Also the way they light the ring and broadcast the shows is as good or better than any of the big boys. That upshot from under the bottom rope makes the wrestlers look awesome.

Edited by matt925
  • Like 2

Also, Utami Hayashishita's ring music "Riot of Flowers" is badass as hell (especially the QQ Version). Her entrance for the Anniversary show was super ccool because tht played as she glided around ringside literally just to give Akira Hokuto a red rode of respect!

James

• Like 1