DVDVR Message Board

WEDNESDAY Night Dynamite - 6/30/2021

18 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The Dark Order using the power of friendship as the catalyst for Hangman’s ascent to believing in himself is note perfect. AEW is real good at booking wholesome feel good shit sometimes.

Totes, man.

I remember when Uproxx was doing vintage nitro reviews and the writer remarked now nihilistic WCW felt since it seemed the nWo was never ever going away and the good guys refused to get it together and band together so the whole show felt so meaningless but stuff like what you mentioned and the Dark Order dudes really living up to Brodie's expectations, Inner Circle not all turning on Jericho, believable organic storylines where faces can work together (Christian and Jurassic Express vs. HFO now).  It's a roster full of people that are actually a lot of fun to root for.  I'm really looking forward to Page finding his confidence again over the summer since I'm guessing it's Page and Omega at All Out.

Speaking of Brodie, the clips of the celebration of life during the farewell (for now) Jacksonville video got me a little weepy all over again.

No faith in Penta and Kingston beating the Bucks next week but glad one of these eliminator matches actually paid off.  I know they can't do it all the time but it does feel big when it does happen.  

Nyla's knees to an opponent hanging over the top rope is one of the scarier spots these days, I remember those first few matches with Riho where I was legit afraid for both parties.

• Like 7

All jokes aside, is it time to get rid of JR? I don't think it's blowing it out of proportion to say that him repeatedly calling it WWE is a pretty bad look for AEW. I think a big reason why he truly keeps making the mistake too is because of his podcast. Him and Conrad are talking about something WWE related more often than not, so because of it - it keeps the acronym fresh in his mind and on the tip of his tongue. Regardless of that fact, I think something has to be done. I made another post about a month ago comparing his passion from 'back in the day' to now and if he had that same fire calling current matches as he used to I wouldn't say anything. However I don't hear the excitement or enjoyment in his voice anymore and I feel he's almost doing more harm than good now.

Listen, I love Jim Ross and what he represents for professional wrestling, but the fact of the matter is no matter what Jim Ross will always be equated with the WWF/E and the Attitude Era no matter what. Even someone like Tony Schiavone who is 63 isn't exactly going to be the voice of AEW for the years to come. I guess that honor is supposed to be reserved for Excalibur, but damn it if I was Tony Khan I'd consider throwing as much money as I needed to in order to bring in Muaro Ranallo. I know it's an easy thing to say from behind a keyboard but I truly believe that guy has the ability to draw people to the AEW product in a big way. The only question would be if he would refuse because of his past with WWE/NXT, but damn he would be PERFECT for AEW.

• Like 4

Pretty awesome show. The Elite all randomly getting wacky facial hair, Miro's epic new music and praising God (and his flexible, hot wife presumably) after every win, and the main were all highlights. 

- To get it out of the way, Jim Ross has been a bad commentator for years and at this point I just assume the reason he has a job is more out of pity/respect. He lost his wife, WWE signed him just to ice him and treat him like shit, and he's battled addiction issues. I'm all for cutting him loose but Tony Khan seems to be like he's gonna let JR write his own ending. Ya now - this stuff isn't unprecedented because other sports frequently deal with legendary announcers hanging on far past their ability to do a competent job. Pat Summerall in football, Marv Albert right now calling his last playoffs in the NBA, dozens and dozens of old ass drunk baseball announcers. It is what it is. I think he takes away from the show but this may be something everyone has to live with until his contract expires (maybe in October of this year or next year?)

- I loved the main event. Total PWG-style match and a showcase match for both guys. I think it's good for MJF to show that he can actually wrestle because this is a promotion with high main event worker standards. Didn't care for the finish though. Awful.

- Pillman Jr looked really good and has improved leaps and bounds the last few months. That's a solid act. 

- Nice tease of the Hangman stuff and hopefully they drag it out until fans are begging for Page to have the confidence to confront Kenny. 

Great little tribute at the end to what, in an odd way, is going to end up as an important venue historically.  Hopefully next week starts the road back to a better wrestling world for not only AEW but everywhere as we get the indies going and fans back and start building to the big shows in the fall and next spring. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Nyla's knees to an opponent hanging over the top rope is one of the scarier spots these days, I remember those first few matches with Riho where I was legit afraid for both parties.

If you think that's bad, you should try breaking up the pinfall afterwards. Seriously, I feel awful for Reba but she really had no place being in any matches and it's a damn shame it had to end this way. Kind of crazy that Britt seemingly stiffed Vicki right afterwards but I get that she was upset. Vickie shoulda sold. EDIT: Completely feasible that Vickie forgot to sell because she was worried about Reba. Cooler heads will probably prevail on this one. 

Another week of vastly superior backstage pre-tapes. I'll say it again. Another week of vastly superior backstage pre-tapes. Except the Darby thing, which we know is being produced by somebody else. Nick Mondo? Anyway. Hager is this week's example of sounding way better on this stick than usual (he's been on an upswing). Alex Reynolds even got a little shine. There's a new creative element at work backstage and I can't figure out who's producing or directing these things. Is this what Mark Henry was brought in for? Christian? Did Sonjay Dutt do uncredited work last week? I'm legit curious. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite

5 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

All jokes aside, is it time to get rid of JR? I don't think it's blowing it out of proportion to say that him repeatedly calling it WWE is a pretty bad look for AEW. I think a big reason why he truly keeps making the mistake too is because of his podcast. Him and Conrad are talking about something WWE related more often than not, so because of it - it keeps the acronym fresh in his mind and on the tip of his tongue. Regardless of that fact, I think something has to be done. I made another post about a month ago comparing his passion from 'back in the day' to now and if he had that same fire calling current matches as he used to I wouldn't say anything. However I don't hear the excitement or enjoyment in his voice anymore and I feel he's almost doing more harm than good now.

Listen, I love Jim Ross and what he represents for professional wrestling, but the fact of the matter is no matter what Jim Ross will always be equated with the WWF/E and the Attitude Era no matter what. Even someone like Tony Schiavone who is 63 isn't exactly going to be the voice of AEW for the years to come. I guess that honor is supposed to be reserved for Excalibur, but damn it if I was Tony Khan I'd consider throwing as much money as I needed to in order to bring in Muaro Ranallo. I know it's an easy thing to say from behind a keyboard but I truly believe that guy has the ability to draw people to the AEW product in a big way. The only question would be if he would refuse because of his past with WWE/NXT, but damn he would be PERFECT for AEW.

I think it's obvious that JR needs to go. He adds no insight to the commentary table and even as a pure nostalgia act he can't touch Schiavone on his worst day. The only two reasons they would keep him on is 1. It's TNT's call or 2. The guy in charge is Dixie Carter 2.0.

They've now produced two 100% music videos. Bless them. 

Miro's match structure is pitch perfect. I'm in love with how this guy presents himself in and out of the ring. You have to work so hard to get anything and even then... It's only a matter of time. It's the best. 

Opening tag was good. Most of the angles were well done. Main event was greedy. Gimme more shit like Miro/Pillman than that stuff plz. 

• Like 2

Main Event was awesome until they kicked out of a fucking toprope tombstone.  They set it up where MJF could have sold the knee instead of going straight for the pin.  Sammy Guevara needs to be on my TV more.

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Main event was honestly not great. Rosa/Baker was a grudge match. This was a MJF/Sammy  match where two guys did stuff. We had a second rope tombstone and a Spinny McSpinalot not be the finish and then it's a chairshot? That's weak shit. Sammy's dive into the crowd was incredible but in the end it's just "a thing we did to make a cool GIF" because of everything after that. The Jericho/Wardlow bump where Jericho ended up under the table looked super weird and not what was supposed to happen. Honestly a pretty disappointing main event for me.

The women's tag match was funny just for Baker anihilating Vicky in like 3 seconds when it was finally time, I suppose.

I don't give a fuck about Brian Pillman Jr but seeing Miro destroy him is good. 

I thought the Bucks/Penta match was fine when the Bucks weren't doing tribute facial expressions to the Worst of Shawn Michaels, but I'm kinda bummed there's almost a 0% chance that Penta/Kingston are winning back to back weeks.

The closing video package was awesome.

Wrestling fans doing both WHAT and THIS IS AWESOME chants during this show raises my latest hot take: maybe wresting was better without fans.

Sub-par week of WWE Dynamite.

Absolutely agree on the Main.  The Second Rope tombstone took me out of it.  The multi-rotation splash too.  Campaigning to 'Get MJF reps on Dark'.  Sammy too.   

That said, I loved this show.  So many fun segments.  

21 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Spot on.  I wanna say 'Poor Jim', but he's been spreading bad juju all over these shows for so long.  That kind of embarrassment was honestly kinda expected. 

I love Mauro Ranollo and could not agree more.  I find the anti-Ranollo contingency a bit baffling. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Main Event was awesome until they kicked out of a fucking toprope tombstone.  They set it up where MJF could have sold the knee instead of going straight for the pin.  Sammy Guevara needs to be on my TV more.

Especially with Jericho talking up the J-Cup previously. Never mind that one participant, that finish is sacred.

• Like 1

Just a quick opinion, because others have done such a great job at summarizing my opinions of the show:

There looks to be about three different versions of 'Ric Flair' floating around AEW, two that are obvious, and one that will eventually sneak up and could possibly get a 'The Rock vibe. 

First two are Kenny Omega and MJF, and I think charisma-wise MJF out performs omega in this role.  I just want to hate MJF more and that makes me like him.

The third Nature Boy esq guy could be Ricky Starks, but it is too early to tell, and it may just be a vibe I get and he could very well evolve into his own thing. 

The aforementioned omega and mjf just exude this future Flair persona to me, and it's so glaring, that one of the two is going to have to go a different route, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I guess that honor is supposed to be reserved for Excalibur, but damn it if I was Tony Khan I'd consider throwing as much money as I needed to in order to bring in Muaro Ranallo. I know it's an easy thing to say from behind a keyboard but I truly believe that guy has the ability to draw people to the AEW product in a big way. The only question would be if he would refuse because of his past with WWE/NXT, but damn he would be PERFECT for AEW.

No. I don't want him anywhere near an AEW product, I want to continue to enjoy their show. I agree it may be time to bring in someone to replace JR, but that's not the answer.

49 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I love Mauro Ranollo and could not agree more.  I find the anti-Ranollo contingency a bit baffling. 

Adversely, I don't get all the praise for him, I've found him to be highly over-rated.

Show was great, as usual. The show breezed by, we got to the main event and we were all like "Already?" That ending montage was really something, hard to realize all those moments happened in the past 15 months, none the less in the same place, mind you.

Edited by The Green Meanie

Loved that Ethan Page-Darby segment.  However, I would have loved to see Page sell the brutal eye gauge a little better.  I thought we were gonna get some horrifying blood some how in there.  Dug that maniacal Darby look.  I love seeing the Men of the Year building steam every week.  The tide is turning on these two.  

I was kinda hoping, like the crowd, that we might get a pre-Hangman Colt Cabana-Kenny Omega match announced.  

Closing video was nicely pieced.  Too bad on the tired style song choice tho. 

53 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

No. I don't want him anywhere near an AEW product, I want to continue to enjoy their show. I agree it may be time to bring in someone to replace JR, but that's not the answer.

Adversely, I don't get all the praise for him, I've found him to be highly over-rated.

I like his focus on the action.  And the passion and enthusiasm he pores into it.  And as over the top as he is I believe him.  I also find his pop culture references wonderfully amusing.  We can certainly agree to disagree, I just rarely see actual arguments as to why he isn't a commentary treasure.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I hope Reba is okay. Fan footage of the doctors helping her backstage during the Inner Circle promo made it seem like she was hurting pretty bad, no pressure being put on the leg at all. Second week in a row where the women's match has had an injury/close call.

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Poor Rebel looked like she got hurt again on that save. I hope it's not too serious.

Not good, sadly:

Fuck. Get well soon xxx.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I like his focus on the action.  And the passion and enthusiasm he pores into it.  And as over the top as he is I believe him.  I also find his pop culture references wonderfully amusing.  We can certainly agree to disagree, I just rarely see actual arguments as to why he isn't a commentary treasure.

That's fair. I'd say my main complaint is that I don't care for his pop culture references much at all. And while he does seem enthusiastic, it seems....misguided? At times it sounded like someone with ADHD. Sure he's loud, but yelling constantly (and saying the same few phrases over and over) doesn't get you very far in my view.

• Like 2

I've never seen Ethan Page until AEW but he is rapidly growing on me. I think he's absolute quality and is far more interesting to me than Darby Allin. 

I don't understand why Eddie is teaming with Penta against The Elite when Frankie The Elite Hunter is right there doing run ins. It would make a lot more sense for Eddie to be paired with Frankie.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I don't understand why Eddie is teaming with Penta.

Me neither, teaming with a guy who recently threatened to break Cody's arm so he couldn't hold his kid isn't exactly going to get Kingston good boy points with god.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta