DVDVR Message Board

WEDNESDAY Night Dynamite - 6/30/2021

It's Wednesday night! We all know what that means!

Let's see if AEW can keep the ball rolling after an excellent Saturday Night Dynamite and very entertaining episodes of Dark Elevation and Dark.

As far as I know, there are only four matches announced for the show so far:

Young Bucks vs Penta El Zero Miedo & Eddie Kingston

It's time to once again suspend our disbelief as two guys who were never good enough to teach beginner's Krav Maga at the strip mall dojo defend their tag team titles. I personally am really enjoying Matt and Nick's run as heel champions; I'm absolutely looking forward to enjoying this match as well. If you prefer being angry about things, which is fine, may I suggest that you put yourself in the mindset where you sincerely expect that there won't be any Elite interference in this one?

MIro vs Brian Pillman, Jr. for the TNT Championship Title

This should be all kinds of awesome and is the match that I am most looking forward to on this show. Miro is proving himself to be a master of looking like an unstoppable monster while somehow also managing to make the guys he's in there with look strong by being able to hang with him. Think about how hard that balancing act must be. Pillman is approaching late-2019-Darby-like levels of being a likable scrappy underdog that is fun to get behind. This match should play fully into both men's strengths.

Britt Baker & Rebel vs Nyla Rose & Vickie Guerrero

Does anyone think Vickie is going to wrestle here? I'll actually be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be the AEW debut of Thea Trinidad, or something along those lines.

Sammy Guevara vs MJF

Nice to see both of these guys getting a singles match! They also match up really well, character-wise. It's pretty likely that interference will factor pretty heavily into this match, as well. I'm excited to see what these guys get up to before the almost-inevitable big brawl. I'm looking forward to Jericho on commentary here. And who knows, maybe the ref will ban everyone else from ringside and they'll just let these two guys go. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still can't shake the feeling that they should have saved MJF/Sammy for a PPV but for the last regular show at Daily's I understand why.  I would definitely recommend though the hype video they put on their Youtube channel.  It even covered a few points that were heavily discussed here so I think it's a pretty good watch.

And fuck yeah for it being back on Wednesdays!  I'm so happy to be able to watch it live again without having to wait to watch either the next day or the day after.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, wonder if face Jericho on commentary will touch heel Jericho on commentary. Could be an entirely different beast. 

I had the same thought and was ready to be annoyed, but he did have some face-ish approaches on the mic during the early part of the pandemic that weren't half bad, so I'll give the ol' benefit of the doubt for now.

JB/Evans should slay, as long as there's not too too much fuckery from the other JX and HFO guys, which I fully expect.

MJF probably goes over here to keep the ball rolling. Way too many saves/clutch moves from Sammy in the build for that not to be the case

Gonna be a good one!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Completed a sentence
  • Like 1

I am old and am happy that this shit is back on Wednesdays at a reasonable time.  

Mother fuckers have to be in bed by ten or so on Friday nights.  Some of us have lawns to mow on Saturday morning.  We need our sleep.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The Bucks are simply overexposed at this point. Having already beat Penta and Eddie with their regular partners, this would be a really weird time to start putting the babyfaces over. I guess when you beat all the tag teams, you have to beat all the different combinations as well. I look forward to The Bucks winning Battlebowl this year. I expect Rick Knox will furiously enforce the rules and to catch the dastardly heels who trick him every week. 

Should be good. Pillman has angry Trent? energy when working enhancement matches so he should be able to stand up to Miro before going down. Miro's been the best part of off schedule Dynamite so I expect him to continue on that roll. Eventually, they are going to have to throw Pillman a bone in terms of getting him a win on Dynamite but it won't be tonight.

This program has been a giant miss thus far as they've pretty much bungled Baker's coronation and quasi face turn. Rose is a terrible top contender and Vickie hasn't done anything to help any of her charges. On a separate issue, Andrade not working yet has been a big old mistake and squandered his momentum from the jump to AEW. He's still not actually interacting with anyone or doing anything.

Sammy Guevara vs MJF

It will be interesting to see Sammy work babyface as a singles since he really hasn't done that yet on television. I really feel they aren't using the Pinnacle-Inner Circle feud right as they should be using the Dangerous Alliance template to keep this feud going rather than lots of promos and set pieces. I think they should have done more trios and tag combinations to save the payoff matches for PPV or big events. They could have done Sammy/Jericho against MJF/Wardlow and saved this as one of the blow offs.

Jungle Boy vs Jack Evans

JB should beat Evans in a few minutes to keep his main event steam. Having him work 50/50 with nonfactor Evans to further the Hardy-Christian angle is a misuse of everyone involved. 

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordberg said:

It's time to once again suspend our disbelief as two guys who were never good enough to teach beginner's Krav Maga at the strip mall dojo defend their tag team titles.

A+++++

Speaking of which, is krav maga the dumbest thing to be teaching the average joe? Or maybe I poked my head in at the wrong time at the wrong krav maga place.  What I'm saying is, I used to go to a gym that was in the same building as a krav maga dojo.  I once walked by and saw the krav maga dudes teaching a middle aged lady how to disarm a guy who just put a gun in her face.  I dunno, man.  I think the best defenses against a gun are 1) run like a motherfucker or 2) if running is no option, give up your wallet and hope for the best.  Making a regular person think they have the ability to disarm someone sounds disastrous.  Also, we should be wary of anything with "maga" in its name.  Anyway, I hope the next lesson was how to evade a superkick.

Pillman is approaching late-2019-Darby-like levels of being a likable scrappy underdog that is fun to get behind.

Or a late 80s Brian Pillman!

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

tenor.gif

Lord yes.  I'm at war with myself as I debate which is truly worse, Jericho YELLING abut every fucking thing or JR lowkey talking about who should get on the gas.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Goodear said:

On a separate issue, Andrade not working yet has been a big old mistake and squandered his momentum from the jump to AEW. He's still not actually interacting with anyone or doing anything.

I'm assuming they wanted to keep his in-ring debut on a live (I think) show airing in the show's normal time slot.  I feel like debuting him on an episode airing at 10 PM on a Friday would have made him seem like much less a deal.

That said, I dunno why they bothered to debut him on a Friday show airing at 10 PM, particularly since he hasn't done anything of note in the past month. 

• Like 1

Right? So instead of getting him in and going right into the mix, they put him on television doing the things he is weakest at (talking) and now we're less excited to see him because he's already been on the show a month and done nothing. Even if they did introductory vignettes to establish his character would have been better because they could have shown him doing something rather than sitting around and doing promos.

6 hours ago, Gordberg said:

It's Wednesday night! We all know what that means!

Let's see if AEW can keep the ball rolling after an excellent Saturday Night Dynamite and very entertaining episodes of Dark Elevation and Dark.

As far as I know, there are only four matches announced for the show so far:

It's time to once again suspend our disbelief as two guys who were never good enough to teach beginner's Krav Maga at the strip mall dojo defend their tag team titles. I personally am really enjoying Matt and Nick's run as heel champions; I'm absolutely looking forward to enjoying this match as well. If you prefer being angry about things, which is fine, may I suggest that you put yourself in the mindset where you sincerely expect that there won't be any Elite interference in this one?

This should be all kinds of awesome and is the match that I am most looking forward to on this show. Miro is proving himself to be a master of looking like an unstoppable monster while somehow also managing to make the guys he's in there with look strong by being able to hang with him. Think about how hard that balancing act must be. Pillman is approaching late-2019-Darby-like levels of being a likable scrappy underdog that is fun to get behind. This match should play fully into both men's strengths.

Does anyone think Vickie is going to wrestle here? I'll actually be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be the AEW debut of Thea Trinidad, or something along those lines.

Sammy Guevara vs MJF

Nice to see both of these guys getting a singles match! They also match up really well, character-wise. It's pretty likely that interference will factor pretty heavily into this match, as well. I'm excited to see what these guys get up to before the almost-inevitable big brawl. I'm looking forward to Jericho on commentary here. And who knows, maybe the ref will ban everyone else from ringside and they'll just let these two guys go. 

That’s really cute. But don’t be mad at me. They’re the ones that can’t whip cream with an outboard motor. You being willing to sacrifice every other accepted machination of pro wrestling to see a pair of dweebs do nonsensical floppy shit so they can book themselves to look like far better men than they actually are says more about you than it does me. Enjoy your flippydoos. 

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I'm assuming they wanted to keep his in-ring debut on a live (I think) show airing in the show's normal time slot.  I feel like debuting him on an episode airing at 10 PM on a Friday would have made him seem like much less a deal.

That said, I dunno why they bothered to debut him on a Friday show airing at 10 PM, particularly since he hasn't done anything of note in the past month. 

I liked the idea of them trying to establish that the Friday nights weren't to be missed with an Andrade debut.  But yeah, you win some and you lose some.  The sitdown interview segment with Good Old JR was terrific.  Last week's Sydal interruption would have been fine if he had killed both Sydals and Dante Martin post-match.  Anyway, no big deal here, debuts aren't AEW's strong point - eventually they'll figure out what not to do.  The story of MIRO tells us that practicing some patience might be worth are while.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I contend that is the absolute wrong message to get from the Miro situation where we had to suffer through six months of nonsense that all got wiped away anyway. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of which, is krav maga the dumbest thing to be teaching the average joe? 

No, it's Tae Kwon Do or any form of sport Karate that teaches you to strike your opponent instead of trying to be evasive.  It also does not help that there usually isn't any grappling defense taught with those forms.  Most strikers are rendered useless once they're in the dirt.  They train standing up, not on the mat.

Krav Maga at least teaches striking and grappling so that you're not completely useless if the fight ends up on the ground.  

Krav Maga loosely translates from Herbrew to approach (krav) and attack (maga), so you may have something on the "be wary of maga" front.

I am not terribly fond of SD classes that teach a person to attack their attacker because you might be forcing the person with the gun to shoot you.   It's unfortunately likely these days that the attacker will shoot you anyway if he bothers to show his weapon during the crime, but the whole point of that training is to condition your mind not to freeze up when faced with a firearm.  The downside of handing an armed mugger your wallet is that it may be interpreted to be an aggressive move and you'll still wind up dead. 

The key is to stay calm while handing over your valuables and not give the attacker a reason to either become combative or escalate the attack because he believes he controls you through your fear.

On the plus side, it tends to be the case that someone who has a gun close to your face probably only wants to intimidate you.  If they wanted you dead, they'd have shot you at range.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I contend that is the absolute wrong message to get from the Miro situation where we had to suffer through six months of nonsense that all got wiped away anyway. 

'Suffer'!?  Ha, perhaps you're a wee bit sensitive to the creative decisions of AEW.  I wasn't a fan of the Miro-Kip angle, but it was what it was.  It wasn't great, had to FFWD the wedding, but it didn't kill anybody - case in point the position we now find the mighty MIRO in.  They, AEW, figured it out, and that does seem like a good message to pass along to anybody exhibiting anxiety over a couple weeks of TV segments being 'fine' but not 'fire'.  Tho, the sitdown interview was close enough to the flame for me.  Sometimes these things take a little time.  Patience darling.       

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I think the cooling down of Miro with the angle helped to make Miro have more of an aura now.   If they had brought in this Miro from day 1, folks have gotten burned out on him quickly, or the fans might have thought he was pushed too hard too soon.

• Like 5

Plus the whole "Losing every match for months in WWE and then showing up in AEW and destroying everyone makes AEW look weak" concept. The fact that he's had a midcard angle go start to finish before getting the unstoppable push lends a bit of separation to that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1