DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

18 hours ago, Jiji said:

This is pretty true though. I think if there were to be another group, it would have to be a "major" with backing like AEW and I don't know if that's possible. 

I still don't think there's a true Southern-style throwback, especially with Corgan's NWA dead. 

Maybe that whole subculture of pro wrestling is dead, but man, would I love to see it return.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

If they release Shinsuke, that might be interesting. To see where he goes, and if he stops half-assing it when he gets there.

g.

You obliviously have never seen Nakamura working a non-PPV match in NJPW then...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Corgan's NWA is dead?

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Smellington is blessed to have not seen Tyrus with the TV belt on Gutfeld's show. He's living a great life. Leave him be. 

The second post answers the first post: It's metaphorically fucking dead and probably is literally one foot in the grave at this point.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

FDZbhVvX0AUOZKH?format=jpg&name=900x900

For the sake of clarity...

WWE Raw on December 17th, 2018 (week of the picture above) drew an audience of 2,547,000 viewers.

WWE Raw on November 1st, 2021 (this week) drew an audience of 1,689,000 viewers.

Enablers can scream as loud as they want that WWE is currently making record profits. But I promise you if they don't fix the hole in the boat, everyone's gonna drown. They are losing viewers year over year consistently. The changes they are making are not leading to better quality shows or stories. They are leading to vastly worse quality shows and stories. The bubble is gonna burst eventually. Even if 1.6 million is good compared to what other TV shows get right now, I can guarantee USA & Fox are eventually going to decide getting half the viewers at 1/10th the price is the better business decision.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

WWE Raw on December 17th, 2018 (week of the picture above) drew an audience of 2,547,000 viewers.

WWE Raw on November 1st, 2021 (this week) drew an audience of 1,689,000 viewers.

Spoiler

thanos-infinity.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RRR said:

Nick Khan’s bold strategy of releasing future prospects to flood the market with talent to see if Tony Khan will really run a 12 hour dark is sure to pay off. 

I'm all for a 12-hour Dark as long as we still get @Matt Drecaps of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ElSa's gif reminded me of something I said to a friend. Nick bringing up Marvel and now Steph bringing up Marvel really makes me think they're courting Disney hard for a purchase. I didn't think they would sell before, but more and more this is looking like where there's smoke there's fire. 

• Like 4

I'm going to go ahead and add,  "like Marvel," to my list of phrases that cause me to completely ignore everything that comes after it. I'm just saying,  Marvel created created,  built this created,  and took their time telling a really cohesive story,  when was the last time WWE did anything of the sort? Who is the last beloved WWE character? I'm pretty sure it was Daniel Bryan's "Yes" run,  but they did everything they could to fuck that up every step of the way. Before that it was either The Rock or Steve Austin and they don't count because they're The Rock and Steve Austin. Cena has his run,  but nobody loved Cena,  he's just the top guy who was there at that time. The entire run the audience was waiting for somebody else who never actually showed up. They can miss me with the Marvel shit,  especially after firing a bunch of people who never even had a chance. Marvel had to get rid of Terrance Howard as War Machine,  but pretty much every other notable character caught in and was around until the end of the Infinity Saga. WWE would have fired Robert Downey Jr. because his goatee didn't 100% connect. This isn't anywhere close to the same.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Nick Khan said no to selling while back, but It's not off the table, but for now.. no.  Its obvious they want to go nearly barebones and increase their profitability and rev.

Nick Khan realized WWE business model from the last decade isn't long-term sustainable and requires altering the model. They're looking to cut corners, get more sponsors, and find more ways to sell merch and to get more deals. And they changed up all roles in the back, most of the crew in the back from the last decade are gone and so are the others from previous decades.

I mentioned elsewhere WWE no longer has to pay expenses with WWE studios, now that they switched to licensing instead of self financing. While also increasing profits. 

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

I hold no allusions about Vince McMahon being a good person. He clearly isn't. Anyone who's paid more than 5 minutes of attention to WWE in the past 35 years can attest to that. Throw a dart, you'll hit something dark and nasty every time. He's dirty and he runs a dirty operation, clear as day.

And you haven't seen bad intentions until you work in a school district for a couple of years. Weirdest place I've ever collected a check from, with some of the worst people.

But the idea of WWE going under doesn't seem realistic. They have four separate billion-dollar deals. I know, mentioning money here. But it's true. They bring in record revenue seemingly every quarter. For his heart of darkness, Vince has played the capitalist card well. Having a black heart is why he's good at it, granted.

Even if things goes sideways--WWE sells for a nice sum and sails into the sunset. Monetary wise, Vince has made sure he'll win the game. It's partly why N. Khan was brought in, make sure the books are clean for the new owner if Vince finally decides to cash out. Along with increasing quarterly dividends and shaking down sponsorships from whoever alongside Stephanie.

Will wrestlers and non-executive employees suffer? Absolutely. They'll get no golden parachute, and with no WWE, the American wrestling scene at large can't support an influx of talent that large at one time. Which is something else Vince counts on: WWE being too big to fail. 

I don't think anyone looks at WWE through rose-colored glasses. I certainly don't. But if it feels that I or someone else brings up the corporate angle too much, it's because there's merit to it, though we all recognize how screwed up it is.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

And you haven't seen bad intentions until you work in a school district for a couple of years. Weirdest place I've ever collected a check from, with some of the worst people.

Lol, my friend who is a teacher just told me about the superintendent who got fired in her district for essentially stealing all their funding getting a severance package which was pretty much the exact amount of funding he stole the previous year.

We can try to moralize this stuff,  and try to hold the people,  institutions, and corporations to a moral standard, but well fail every time. We are Ned Stark, we are in the right,  but this world doesn't reward being right. This world rewards the cutthroat people like the Lannisters who are willing to play the dirtiest. With that said, the only thing keeping any of this going is that the majority of people aren't despicable enough to compete, and have to swallow their pride and put up with the shit being shoveled upon them. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

ElSa's gif reminded me of something I said to a friend. Nick bringing up Marvel and now Steph bringing up Marvel really makes me think they're courting Disney hard for a purchase. I didn't think they would sell before, but more and more this is looking like where there's smoke there's fire. 

Disney wouldn’t be interested in buying them, the Marvel talk is just something they throw out with the hope to impress investors.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I see all of this as getting the books as right as possible for a sale to someone. But seeing this as a movie studio, where the stories are the important and the characters inter changeable. 

21 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Lol, my friend who is a teacher just told me about the superintendent who got fired in her district for essentially stealing all their funding getting a severance package which was pretty much the exact amount of funding he stole the previous year.

We can try to moralize this stuff,  and try to hold the people,  institutions, and corporations to a moral standard, but well fail every time. We are Ned Stark, we are in the right,  but this world doesn't reward being right. This world rewards the cutthroat people like the Lannisters who are willing to play the dirtiest. With that said, the only thing keeping any of this going is that the majority of people aren't despicable enough to compete, and have to swallow their pride and put up with the shit being shoveled upon them. 

I think it had to be one of the wrestling discussion threads from about a year back or so (I just know the convo included myself along with @bobholly138 since we're both Mississippians), but I think I talked about my mom working in a school district for a few decades and I worked there for about a year or two back (2011 to 2013). Not just any school district but a failing school district that was taken over by the state (and eventually consolidated) due to terrible state standardized test scores. Probably due to the fact that most of the teachers were young, inexperienced, and well... white in a school district that is 85-90 percent African-American and had a deal with AmeriCorps where they stay for 2 years or less. That was not a good time in my life.

21 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I don't think anyone looks at WWE through rose-colored glasses. I certainly don't. But if it feels that I or someone else brings up the corporate angle too much, it's because there's merit to it, though we all recognize how screwed up it is.

No, you're right there is merit to it. I've used some of those same exact points in the past discussing (or as I said, defending lol) the UFC. However, it's clear to me at least that WWE brings a whole new scumminess to the game. Like everytime something like what happened yesterday evening happens (after an earnings call or w/e the hell they had yesterday), you just want to hop in the shower and go head to toe thoroughly.

14 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I hold no allusions about Vince McMahon being a good person. He clearly isn't. Anyone who's paid more than 5 minutes of attention to WWE in the past 35 years can attest to that. Throw a dart, you'll hit something dark and nasty every time. He's dirty and he runs a dirty operation, clear as day.

But the idea of WWE going under doesn't seem realistic. They have four separate billion-dollar deals. I know, mentioning money here. But it's true. They bring in record revenue seemingly every quarter. For his heart of darkness, Vince has played the capitalist card well. Having a black heart is why he's good at it, granted.

Even if things goes sideways--WWE sells for a nice sum and sails into the sunset. Monetary wise, Vince has made sure he'll win the game. It's partly why N. Khan was brought in, make sure the books are clean for the new owner if Vince finally decides to cash out. Along with increasing quarterly dividends and shaking down sponsorships from whoever alongside Stephanie.

Will wrestlers and non-executive employees suffer? Absolutely. They'll get no golden parachute, and with no WWE, the American wrestling scene at large can't support an influx of talent that large at one time. Which is something else Vince counts on: WWE being too big to fail. 

Man this really hits me hard. I grew up watching the WWF vs. WCW war a tiny bit when I was around 8/9 years old but it wasn't until 2001 that I really fell in LOVE with wrestling. I can safely say that WWE then isn't even close to what they are now and it's disheartening because you're right, even if things go sideways WWE sells for a nice sum and sails off into the sunset. Which is so heartbreaking for a company that helped mold a lot of us into the people we are today sitting here on a public forum discussing pro wrestling. I am thanking my lucky stars that Tony Khan and the Elite banded together to create AEW because for around the last 10 years I would say WWE hasn't been at it's strongest - and wouldn't you know it, that's right around the time people like Trips, HBK, Flair, Batista, ect really started to hang up the boots for a regular basis.

It's weird to think of a wrestling world without a Vince McMahon ran WWE. Like, I can't really even begin to think of where wrestling would go if Disney purchased the rights to WWE. The brand power that someone like Disney has would be hard for a lot of companies to compete with and would probably only further the "PG Era" of wrestling for the rest of the century. I will say yesterday was the last straw and I cancelled my Peacock membership - so hopefully others follow suit and it shows WWE that there are consequences to their actions but tanking ratings say they don't even really care about that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Cancelling Peacock isn't hurting WWE, then already got the money.

I can't in good conscience keep giving them $5 a month for a back catalogue of material I've pretty much seen. Whether they got their money from NBC Universal or not - I don't want to keep "supporting" them in any way with the way that they repeatedly treat talent and fans alike.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I can't in good conscience keep giving them $5 a month for a back catalogue of material I've pretty much seen. Whether they got their money from NBC Universal or not - I don't want to keep "supporting" them in any way with the way that they repeatedly treat talent and fans alike.

Then you should probably just stop watching *anything* Universal, because it's not just Peacock money that paid for that rights deal.

Might want to walk away from Fox too.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I pay $5 to peacock to watch Parks and Rec again with my daughter, AP Bio, Halloween Kills (which I regret), and sports stuff. 

I have considered using it to watch WWE, but I can't bring myself to do it. 

• Like 2